THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Splinterblades coven trait

Go down 
+7
Padaxes
sekac
colinsherlow
Patayou
Zenotaph
Wrack_Enthusiast
mynamelegend
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Padaxes
Hellion
Padaxes

Splinterblades coven trait Empty
PostSubject: Splinterblades coven trait   Splinterblades coven trait I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24 2021, 01:14

Hi all, if a coven unit with the splinterblades obssession rolls a 6 when attacking with an ichor injector does it count as a second hit with said weapon or does it use a different profile? If it is the latter which weapon?
Back to top Go down
mynamelegend
Kabalite Warrior
mynamelegend

PostSubject: Re: Splinterblades coven trait   Splinterblades coven trait I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24 2021, 07:28

The Ichor Injector would indeed get a second hit. The Ichor Injector limits how many *attacks* you can make with it, but says nothing about how many *hits* you can score.
So a Splinterblades Talos with the Talos Ichor Injector would score 2d3 Mortal Wounds on a 6 to hit with its one attack. A nice little bonus for people who want to run Splinterblades/Master Torturers instead of the more meta Artists of the Flesh or Dark Technomancers.

By the way; The Rules Queries and Questions area would probably be better for these sorts of questions. Smile

Padaxes likes this post

Back to top Go down
Wrack_Enthusiast
Hellion
Wrack_Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Splinterblades coven trait   Splinterblades coven trait I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24 2021, 12:53

I've never given it much thought, but as Mynamelegend said, that would be the logical conclusion per rules-as-written. Personally, I prefer the aesthetic of double macro-scalpels, but ichor injectors are pretty nuts with splinterblades.
I wonder if melee-focused Coven lists will be the focus of competitive play going forward. Wracks, Grotesques and Talos pain engines can be utterly disgusting with splinterblades/experimental creations.
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Splinterblades coven trait   Splinterblades coven trait I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25 2021, 12:16

Hmm, against hordes, the chainflails could do a lot of hits. Talking Orkboyz and Gaunts here...

Hellion
Patayou

PostSubject: Re: Splinterblades coven trait   Splinterblades coven trait I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25 2021, 13:20

Zenotaph wrote:
Hmm, against hordes, the chainflails could do a lot of hits. Talking Orkboyz and Gaunts here...

eh, don't really like the flails, ap0 really hurts. You'd get 10 S6 attacks for 1 talos, for 3 points more you could get 36 wyches attacks (S4 or 5, and ap-1), or 15 Grots attacks (more ap, more damage, 1 less S) for exactly the same price, and comparable tankiness
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

PostSubject: Re: Splinterblades coven trait   Splinterblades coven trait I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25 2021, 18:51

I just really love the ichore injector and the fist. It's a great combo and I think that build has the most utility for a talos. And heat lances of course

sekac likes this post

Back to top Go down
sekac
Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: Splinterblades coven trait   Splinterblades coven trait I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25 2021, 23:24

colinsherlow wrote:
I just really love the ichore injector and the fist. It's a great combo and I think that build has the most utility for a talos. And heat lances of course

Yeah I wouldn't even consider a different set of melee weapons. Chain flails have plentiful attacks, but the quality is poor. A single macroscalpel is a pretty bad melee weapon. It's a grotesques have the same profile bit -2S and cost 1/3rd the points. If you're facing anything with damage reduction, the Talos becomes completely  worthless in combat. Taking 2 macro-scalpels is just a bad choice. Ichor injector+scalpel costs the same and is just better, no question.

I don't like the -1 to hit for the gauntlet, but PfP mitigates that (as does an archon in Realspace Raiders). S8 is much better than S7, and damage 3 means he doesn't turn into a joke against damage reduction.

Wrack_Enthusiast wrote:
Personally, I prefer the aesthetic of double macro-scalpels

I wouldn't worry too much about the esthetics. Most opponents will have no idea if you're WYSIWYG or not. As long as every Talos has the same gear and you're clear about what their combat profile is, nobody will worry too much.
Back to top Go down
Padaxes
Hellion
Padaxes

PostSubject: Re: Splinterblades coven trait   Splinterblades coven trait I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28 2021, 19:30

I tend to use ichor injector and chainflails, mainly because I play against death guard a lot . There tends to be a lot of poxwalkers so I try to point the talos in their direction.
Back to top Go down
Jebei
Hellion
Jebei

PostSubject: Re: Splinterblades coven trait   Splinterblades coven trait I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 26 2022, 13:59

I am wondering what people's thoughts are on using a Custom Coven with Enhanced Sensory organs and Splinterblades instead of AoF? Am I missing something or does the bypass of negative shooting factors combined with +1 S offer a viable alternative to -1D?Or does the -1D give an important boost to survivability?
Back to top Go down
Dabbarexe
Hellion
Dabbarexe

PostSubject: Re: Splinterblades coven trait   Splinterblades coven trait I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 26 2022, 18:06

Jebei wrote:
Am I missing something or does the bypass of negative shooting factors combined with +1 S offer a viable alternative to -1D?Or does the -1D give an important boost to survivability?

Depends how you're using your covens. Problem is Covens are rarely taken as the "punch" for a Drukhari army.

Exploding 6s or +1 Strength is nice but treating your opponents heavy weapons like they're overheating lasguns allows you to confidently push your units up the table. These days with Tyranid monsters and Dreadknights roaming the tabletop, non-Artists of Flesh Covens feel as soft as the other Drukhari.

If you're running a small group of grotesques or talos as counter charging units for your gun line, these aggressive options sound a lot better. As of right now, Drukhari gun lines aren't massively popular. Although, mark my words, triple reaper spam is coming soon to a GT near you.
Back to top Go down
Dalamar
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Splinterblades coven trait   Splinterblades coven trait I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 26 2022, 22:17

Dabbarexe wrote:
Jebei wrote:
Am I missing something or does the bypass of negative shooting factors combined with +1 S offer a viable alternative to -1D?Or does the -1D give an important boost to survivability?

Depends how you're using your covens. Problem is Covens are rarely taken as the "punch" for a Drukhari army.

Exploding 6s or +1 Strength is nice but treating your opponents heavy weapons like they're overheating lasguns allows you to confidently push your units up the table. These days with Tyranid monsters and Dreadknights roaming the tabletop, non-Artists of Flesh Covens feel as soft as the other Drukhari.

If you're running a small group of grotesques or talos as counter charging units for your gun line, these aggressive options sound a lot better. As of right now, Drukhari gun lines aren't massively popular. Although, mark my words, triple reaper spam is coming soon to a GT near you.

Stop that no Psykers in the dark city. Stop reading my mind:) I just wrote up a list with Dark Techno triple Reapers, Tantaulus. Obsidian Rose double Voidraven, double Ravager. List needs more action monkey units with the new missions.
Back to top Go down
Jebei
Hellion
Jebei

PostSubject: Re: Splinterblades coven trait   Splinterblades coven trait I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 27 2022, 00:23

Dalamar wrote:
Dabbarexe wrote:
Jebei wrote:

Stop that no Psykers in the dark city. Stop reading my mind:) I just wrote up a list with Dark Techno triple Reapers, Tantaulus. Obsidian Rose double Voidraven, double Ravager.  List needs more action monkey units with the new missions.

Ha ha I was just mulling around the idea that the Talos BS and negative modifiers while firing and moving needed looking at.👀

I was also wondering if the AoF buff was a critical choice or that a chance to ignore cover modifiers and a +1S in combat for our precious creations was a viable alternative?😁
Back to top Go down
Jebei
Hellion
Jebei

PostSubject: Re: Splinterblades coven trait   Splinterblades coven trait I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 27 2022, 10:00

Mind I think the answer to my question came from the Nottingham results.....well done Mani Cheema,AoF rock.😁

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Commorragh/permalink/10159683852617486/
Back to top Go down
Dalamar
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Splinterblades coven trait   Splinterblades coven trait I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28 2022, 17:16

Jebei wrote:
Mind I think the answer to my question came from the Nottingham results.....well done Mani Cheema,AoF rock.😁

Let's see how he does on Chess Clocks at LVO this weekend. I think he didn't finish 3 of his games at Nottingham.

Also as a side note the New GT mission pack has specific rules for when the game ends prematurely. IE no more talking through the end of the game. You stop and add up the points where they stand period.
Back to top Go down
sekac
Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: Splinterblades coven trait   Splinterblades coven trait I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 29 2022, 15:49

Dalamar wrote:
Jebei wrote:

Let's see how he does on Chess Clocks at LVO this weekend.  I think he didn't finish 3 of his games at Nottingham.

Also as a side note the New GT mission pack has specific rules for when the game ends prematurely.  IE  no more talking through the end of the game. You stop and add up the points where they stand period.

Ugh. Gross. So your ability to score points is dependant on your opponent's play speed. I guess that makes chess pretty much clocks mandatory.
Back to top Go down
Dalamar
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Splinterblades coven trait   Splinterblades coven trait I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30 2022, 16:01

And Mani is out. He looses to Nids in the shadow round. The ITC is now Richard Siegler's to loose.
Back to top Go down
alexwellace
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Splinterblades coven trait   Splinterblades coven trait I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 07 2022, 11:43

When considering a smaller force of Coven units within a real space raid, what are people's thoughts on Coven of Twelve vs Splinter Blades + Master Torturers for offensive Coven traits?

Say we're talking about at most 10 wracks 6 Grotesques and 2 Talosi. The extra AP seems nice, but splinterblades works out quite similar to +1 to hit on Talos Gauntlets, even better when used alongside the Real Space Raid Archon, and since I only have 2 or 3 Coven melee units being able to drop Torturers craft for 1 CP or even for free seems quite effective
Back to top Go down
sekac
Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: Splinterblades coven trait   Splinterblades coven trait I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 07 2022, 14:09

alexwellace wrote:
When considering a smaller force of Coven units within a real space raid, what are people's thoughts on Coven of Twelve vs Splinter Blades + Master Torturers for offensive Coven traits?

Say we're talking about at most 10 wracks 6 Grotesques and 2 Talosi. The extra AP seems nice, but splinterblades works out quite similar to +1 to hit on Talos Gauntlets, even better when used alongside the Real Space Raid Archon, and since I only have 2 or 3 Coven melee units being able to drop Torturers craft for 1 CP or even for free seems quite effective

Just keep in mind the Realspace Raid Archon now does absolutely nothing for Talos. They are no longer core so cannot benefit from any character auras. No more +1T, no more re-roll 1s to hit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Splinterblades coven trait   Splinterblades coven trait I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Splinterblades coven trait
Page 1 of 1