THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

The Economy of Commorragh

Go down 
+30
Grendel007
Sedarofe
Broken Arrow
Lady Malys
alexwellace
Nomic
Cavash
Braden Campbell
Kabal of the Barbed Heart
NiteOwl
Ythillan
Thor665
Yadahr of the Stolen Star
joe twocrows
Shadows Revenge
Lurking Evil
tmonster
Fleshmoulder_Greiil
Hydra
abjectus
yogi
Aroshamash
killfrenzy
Haunter!
Torpedo Vegas
Local_Ork
GrenAcid
Baron Tordeck
Xelkireth
Ecophagy
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

The Economy of Commorragh - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Economy of Commorragh   The Economy of Commorragh - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18 2012, 17:39

@Bookkeeper: that was a great piece. Sounded like the Dark Eldar equivalent of Liar's Poker. Very Happy

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych
Nomic

PostSubject: Re: The Economy of Commorragh   The Economy of Commorragh - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19 2012, 10:21

I doubt Commorragh would have a single currency, it is too big and the Dark Eldar society too fractured into rical factions. I could see a Kabal setting up their personal currency that they pay their warriors with and have merhcants in their subrealm accept. Say, coins that can be traded for X amount of slaves or equivalent value in goods. It would make transactions easier (since you don't have to haul arounf thousands of slaves for larger purchases or try to find a specific item the merchant wants in return for the goods), and would also allow the Kabal to pay their followers without actually spending resources as they could easily print out far more coins than they have slaves, assuming most people would buy things with the coins instead of cashing them in right away and everybody didn't decided to cash in their money at once (which is rather unlikely). Eventually you'd probably end with a Dark Eldar equivalent of a stock market crash, tho.

Bookkeeper
Hellion
Bookkeeper

PostSubject: Re: The Economy of Commorragh   The Economy of Commorragh - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19 2012, 13:42

Nomic wrote:
I doubt Commorragh would have a single currency, it is too big and the Dark Eldar society too fractured into rical factions. I could see a Kabal setting up their personal currency that they pay their warriors with and have merhcants in their subrealm accept. Say, coins that can be traded for X amount of slaves or equivalent value in goods. It would make transactions easier (since you don't have to haul arounf thousands of slaves for larger purchases or try to find a specific item the merchant wants in return for the goods), and would also allow the Kabal to pay their followers without actually spending resources as they could easily print out far more coins than they have slaves, assuming most people would buy things with the coins instead of cashing them in right away and everybody didn't decided to cash in their money at once (which is rather unlikely). Eventually you'd probably end with a Dark Eldar equivalent of a stock market crash, tho.

I can see this arrangement. I think the existence of a single currency would depend on luminaries, such as Vect, adopting their usage. The slave coin notion is probably closer to old English banknotes or pre-dollar U.S. banknotes, where there is no central authority - the coin is backed by the issuer. The value of the coin is directly tied to the general belief in the issuer's ability to pay. In that, it becomes a very DE sort of concept - issuing coins is a show of power and wealth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Economy of Commorragh   The Economy of Commorragh - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Economy of Commorragh
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4