THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]

Go down 
+33
Anggul
MaleOpener76
Alsath
Rip
Rywhandar
Gobsmakked
abjectus
TheDuke
nurglespuss
Nomic
Lix Tetrax
adreal
Massaen
Sorrowshard
J Mc
Fletch
Evil Space Elves
xzandrate
SirTainly
Archon Farath Mure
Nepenthe
Angaurrith
Crisis_Vyper
darkmark
Krovin-Rezh
xerxeshavelock
shadow hunter
Xelkireth
Radium
Asrodrig
Nvs
Local_Ork
Torpedo Vegas
37 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Torpedo Vegas
Resident Shadowseer
Resident Shadowseer
Torpedo Vegas

Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] Empty
PostSubject: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03 2011, 00:46

Just got my first Finecast models in the mail today, a squad of Incubi,and I have to say, they are frakking kick butt. No irregularities other than minimal flash. Mold lines are almost non existent on them. I don't know if I got lucky, but I am now inclined to believe that all the bile spewing forth from the internet is coming from a small vocal minority, as these guys are a marked improvement over metal.
Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] IMG_20110602_164004
The resin is very light and quite flexible, its not as brittle as other resins I used. Its also very light, much lighter than an equivalent size model in plastic. Just to be safe I did wash them. There didn't seem to be any residue but its always better to be safe. Apparently, this stuff is also non toxic. As I don't normally go out of my way to inhale resin dust, I can't comment.
Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] IMG_20110602_164303
Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] IMG_20110602_164323

Upon close examination, the models are much crisper than their metal equivalents, participially the armor platting. There isn't that slight melding that you used to get with the metals.

Overall, I am very impressed with these guys, fine work on GW's part.
Back to top Go down
http://irollboxcars.blogspot.com/
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03 2011, 02:06

I'm *not* gonna hate if You actually get what You payed for (good models without miscasts).

Oh and apparently this stuff don't produce "sawdust", but "chips" so there is no way to inhale with it (unless someone use it as crack cocaine).
Back to top Go down
Nvs
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03 2011, 02:39

These will likely be my only finecast purchase for the dark eldar. I held off buying the metal ones just to get these as I honestly can't stand working with metal. I also figured the newer molds were designed with this new resin in mind so wouldn't have a lot of the problems the older stuff seems to be having.

Back to top Go down
Asrodrig
Hellion
Asrodrig

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03 2011, 04:46

Good to know that not every Finecast kit is as bad as some people are saying they are. Now I think I'll add a box of Incubi to my "to-buy" list.

Radium
Kabalite Warrior
Radium

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03 2011, 09:44

Torpedo Vegas wrote:
Upon close examination, the models are much crisper than their metal equivalents, participially the armor platting. There isn't that slight melding that you used to get with the metals.

Curse GW, now I want to replace my metal Incubi with finecast models. Do you have metal Incubus to compare these to? I'd very much like to know if these new versions are larger because finecast doesn't shrink while cooling.

My Archon's latest trapped soul: Kairos Fateweaver
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03 2011, 10:30

I'm seriously thinking about Ebay-ing my Incbui for Finecast. With the pewter GW models being in high demand due to so many Finecast haters, I bet I could drive the price up. Mmmmm..... Got to love supply and demand.
Back to top Go down
shadow hunter
Kabalite Warrior
shadow hunter

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03 2011, 11:25

I am so glad they are good quality - and that I never rushed out to buy metal incubi.

I've been using my old metal ones. As I'm not keen on using metal miniatures for gaming if I can help it - I wansn't rushing out to buy the new incubi also in metal.

Now Once the new wave is out of the way - I will invest in some new resin incubi.
Back to top Go down
xerxeshavelock
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03 2011, 11:39

I also held off to buy the FC ones. Now the only thing that concerns me is the bendiness of the swords - they seem like they won't travel well (like half the Dark Eldar range so at least they fit in!). Other than that they seem very nice.
Back to top Go down
Krovin-Rezh
Kabalite Warrior
Krovin-Rezh

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03 2011, 16:21

Thanks for the review. I haven't really seen that much hate for finecast, aside from the pricing. Mind you, I haven't been searching it out either. I'm quite excited to be buying some of these soon enough. They look great. I just wish I had waited for finecast to buy my Urien and Lelith models. Those were a pain in the butt to put together!

In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03 2011, 17:37

I think the thing that amazing me about the Finecast model is how light they really are. They're lighter than my standard plastic wyches.
Back to top Go down
darkmark
Kabalite Warrior
darkmark

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03 2011, 19:14

@OP they sure are: http://thefrontlinegamer.blogspot.com/2011/06/dont-leave-finecast-in-sun.html
Back to top Go down
Torpedo Vegas
Resident Shadowseer
Resident Shadowseer
Torpedo Vegas

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03 2011, 20:06

darkmark wrote:
@OP they sure are: http://thefrontlinegamer.blogspot.com/2011/06/dont-leave-finecast-in-sun.html

Thats cute. He left models out in the sun. Resin models. What did he expect?

A note: These guys WILL bend if left in heat, so if you have them in your garage or car, get them out.

I think it comes with the territory of living in Florida, but I've known people who've had plastic models melt in the heat, so I don't leave stuff flying in the sun.

Last edited by Torpedo Vegas on Fri Jun 03 2011, 20:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://irollboxcars.blogspot.com/
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03 2011, 20:18

Lol... Oh, LOL

My resin would not do that tho. At least not from sun. I use carbonfiber-filler and sometimes sand (don't do so, because I bend few drills when I tried to pin it.).
Back to top Go down
Crisis_Vyper
Kabalite Warrior
Crisis_Vyper

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04 2011, 16:55

I honestly preferred the Metal incubi over the Finecast ones, just because I love the weight and also the Klaive is unusually flimsy for some reason. Of course the Finecast Incubi has better detail and can withstand getting thrown across the room. Luckily I have one squad of Incubi that are fully metal, and thus I do not have to suffer not the pain of Finecast.

But as compared to almost all the Finecasts, the Incubi actually came out very well. No defects that I know of. The guy who was sitting next to me at the time got a really screwed up jump pack for his Astaroth. Pitied the Marine, but enjoyed the despair of its owner.
Back to top Go down
Angaurrith
Hellion
Angaurrith

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04 2011, 17:44

I have a Finecast Archon and a squad of Finecast Incubi, and they both came out of the box perfect.

Mind you, I know a man who works for GW and his Finecast were "The worst models" he has ever gotten. He had to carve an arm for one of his wracks out of a cube of resin.

Nepenthe
Kabalite Warrior
Nepenthe

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04 2011, 18:16

I dunno, I just think that the DE range has a lot of small pointy bits that I'd rather have in metal. But I'm funny that way, and mostly it's a question of me wanting to work with the material I'm familiar with. Let's see if the court can win me over - the first two look a lot safer in this regard! Smile

Last edited by Nepenthe on Thu Aug 04 2011, 20:40; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Archon Farath Mure
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04 2011, 19:44

My archon was flawless, and, while the first box of incubi I picked up were decidedly not, the replacement from GW was. I honestly don't see reason to complain.
Back to top Go down
shadow hunter
Kabalite Warrior
shadow hunter

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04 2011, 22:25

I was on holiday in shropshire and decided to visit the Shrewsbury GW store. After chatting to the guy in there I was persuaded to spend my £30 voucher on the Storm of Magic book. But I also couldn't resist the Resin Dark Eldar stuff, so Decided to try a box of Wracks.

I can gladly say they are almost perfect. I haven't put them together yet, but had a good look at everything. The only thing I noticed was a strap/belt was missing slightly, but that would be really easy to fix.

I also looked at the finecast Heamonculi, but I just dont like the pose or the weapons, and was dissappointed by the lack of any other weapon options.
Back to top Go down
SirTainly
Sybarite
SirTainly

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04 2011, 22:46

Glad there are good reports in this thread, I've bought 3 finecast items - 1 was good, 1 passable and one terrible (2 Autarchs and 1 Haemonculi).

Bubbles are their biggest enemy - if they can prevent hose happening so often then they will have cracked it.
Back to top Go down
http://fortwargame.blogspot.com/
xzandrate
Kabalite Warrior
xzandrate

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 05 2011, 04:14

I'm jealous of your pristine wracks Very Happy

Anyhow, I just got my 4 boxes in today, and god what a mess. Of the four boxes, I probably have about 12-14 usable models. Lots of resin sheeting to clean off, and just chunks of random resin on some guys and lots of mashed details.

This was the best though, it actually came in the little baggy, the only sprue in all four boxes. A little baggy of shame.
Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] Ugly%20Wracks

All the boxes look like they were from the same batch, so that was probably the day the new guy was allowed to touch the machine.

I'm gonna take em back and see what we can do.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08 2011, 07:53

My first two boxes of Wracks looked like that. Called customer service and was immediately sent two new boxes of beautifully cast ones. 2 for the price of 1.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Kabalite Warrior
Fletch

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09 2011, 15:36

xzandrate wrote:
I'm jealous of your pristine wracks Very Happy

Anyhow, I just got my 4 boxes in today, and god what a mess. Of the four boxes, I probably have about 12-14 usable models. Lots of resin sheeting to clean off, and just chunks of random resin on some guys and lots of mashed details.

This was the best though, it actually came in the little baggy, the only sprue in all four boxes. A little baggy of shame.
Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] Ugly%20Wracks

All the boxes look like they were from the same batch, so that was probably the day the new guy was allowed to touch the machine.

I'm gonna take em back and see what we can do.

Yeah the little baggy is just insult to injury because it basically means that a part fell off the sprue and someone manually put the part and the sprue into a baggy and packed it. Why its insult to injury is more likely than not there is an issue with either the part or the sprue and they basically let it go.

GW is trying thats for sure, I can tell a huge difference between the day 1 finecast and day 70 finecast models I have purchased/been sent. Alas they still have a ways to go with the process.

Basically it comes down to this, finecast allows GW to use their existing spin casters. If you have ever used a spin caster gateing molds is not all that easy and they are still trying to figure it out to avoid air bubbles and miscasts. Now they could, like Forgeworld, attach a vaccum setup to help with air bubbles however they are both expensive and it slows down the rate at which you can manufacture the product (I believe its about 75% slower); and right now they are hardly keeping up with demand as it is.

Then there is the material, they cant use the same resin as forgeworld because the forgeworld resin has a high level of carcinogen's which is not hard to quantify to the EU when your talking about low production and distribution of a "boutique" product like Forgeworld, thats targetted at mature hobbyists. It's an entirely different issue when your talking about mass production and distribution so they have to use a different more people friendly resin or they would have huge problems with the EU bureacrats. That more friendly resin forumula is also the reason why the finecast models are very rubbery. GW is still working on their resin formula to help improve things like flow within the molds and paired with regating has greatly improved the later batches of many models most noteably the DE line.

Finecast while not perfect will continue to improve. GW is well aware of the problems we as consumers are experiencing with thier products but just like any corporation they are not going to publicily admit to any "problems"; those are better left to be delt with by thier store staff and customer service representatives on a 1 on 1 basis.

My suggestion to anyone buying finecast for the first or tenth time is to do the following (when possible):
1) Inspect blisters for any abnormality before purchase.
2) Immediately after purchase open the item in the store and do a close inspection (box sets a must).
3) If you find any problems with your models alert a staffer.
4) If there is another box set (or blister) ask to have it opened and exchange the problem models.
5) If there isn't another box set or blister available that can solve the problem, leave with your purchase but when you get home call GW customer service (800-394-GAME in the US). Explain that you have a problem and what defects your models suffer from. They will send you replacement models.

Now why I suggest dealing with it in the store vs just calling CS is this, CS will not "solve" the problem they will just send you a new model. This model has not been inspected to ensure there are no issues with it. You very well could receive the replacement model and it's just as messed up. Your best bet is to always resolve the issue in the store before you leave.

I believe I talk from experience; right now my finecast collection includes over 15 individual blisters and 9 box sets of the stuff.

"If 50 million people believe a foolish idea, it's still a foolish idea"
- unknown
Back to top Go down
J Mc
Slave
J Mc

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11 2011, 10:58

I bought a box of Finecast Incubi in store last week. Got them home and one was in a little bag of shame as above, and the Klaive is bent. The rest needed a lot of work but i'm too lazy to take them back (plus i'd already started assembly when I sw the bent one) so i'm going to try and sort it with some warm water. Either that or i'll snap it off and reglue it.

Archon was perfect.
Back to top Go down
Sorrowshard
Sybarite
Sorrowshard

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11 2011, 11:59

Failcrap is horrible, I got a Vlad voncarstein the other day, good job I only needed the head for my Archon as the rest of the model was pretty poor and the sword blade and guard were essentially irreparable.

For an extra 25% of the price from a few weeks ago, no thanks. makes me sad as I am essentially not picking up a bunch of stuff I want as I cannot be bothered with the hastle Once beasts make it into failcrap they really will be unaffordable to all but the most affluent of gamers.

We can all go down the club in our Ferrari's and porsches , talk about stocks and profit whilst
we play ..... GW come back to Earth !! you need a better cheaper product to survive as a luxury toy manufacturer in a global finacial fail-fest

Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11 2011, 12:46

As an aussie, I am VERY dubious on the life span of the resin scuplts unil i have had one in an Aussie summer... 45+C should tell me how they will do... and thats inside in the shade with air con!

I bought the archon for this very purpose! The cast quality was A1 - no defects at all... the metal one i still had in blister was a miscast though!!!!

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next