THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]

Go down 
+33
Anggul
MaleOpener76
Alsath
Rip
Rywhandar
Gobsmakked
abjectus
TheDuke
nurglespuss
Nomic
Lix Tetrax
adreal
Massaen
Sorrowshard
J Mc
Fletch
Evil Space Elves
xzandrate
SirTainly
Archon Farath Mure
Nepenthe
Angaurrith
Crisis_Vyper
darkmark
Krovin-Rezh
xerxeshavelock
shadow hunter
Xelkireth
Radium
Asrodrig
Nvs
Local_Ork
Torpedo Vegas
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
adreal
Hellion

Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19 2011, 11:47

Massaen wrote:
As an aussie, I am VERY dubious on the life span of the resin scuplts unil i have had one in an Aussie summer... 45+C should tell me how they will do... and thats inside in the shade with air con!

I bought the archon for this very purpose! The cast quality was A1 - no defects at all... the metal one i still had in blister was a miscast though!!!!

yeah I think the aussie summer will be a real killer, but so fair I only have one finecast model (archon, was a good one) but do plan on atleast one more (another succubi). I'm making my wracks out of zombies and have enough old haemmo's so my coven units are all set.
Back to top Go down
Lix Tetrax
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19 2011, 14:39

I just received a box of Incubi delivered to my door. No mis-casts, no horrible lines... lots of flash though. Luckily, it all came off with a little nudge from my hobby knife, almost like it WANTED to come off - it was that easy.

I was skeptical after all the horror stories, but took a chance and I will again - the details are great on this stuff.

Sybarite
Sorrowshard

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19 2011, 14:48

Lix Tetrax wrote:
I just received a box of Incubi delivered to my door. No mis-casts, no horrible lines... lots of flash though. Luckily, it all came off with a little nudge from my hobby knife, almost like it WANTED to come off - it was that easy.

I was skeptical after all the horror stories, but took a chance and I will again - the details are great on this stuff.

Hello GW Employee 427-C , welcome to The Dark city , please go and pedal your pernicious lies elsewhere, I hear Warseer is receptive to that approach.

A wrack Excruciation team has been dispatched to your location and will be with you shortly ....

jocolor

My fist experience with failcrap has been bad, once bitten and all that...

Kabalite Warrior
xzandrate

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19 2011, 16:18

After all was said and done, they were very quick at replacing the boxes, after combining between 4 boxes, I had one good box, and 3 replacements come in. Out of 7 boxes of wracks (35 models), I got 22 usable guys, usable being cleaned of flashing and such in under an hour, if it takes more than an hour worth of prep just to get to assembly that seems like too much for a single model.

There are likely another 5-6 that could be usable with alot more cleaning and greenstuff work, but those are hours per model it's looking like. The rest go to the conversion bucket, maybe to see life as special wracks, haemies, or even casualties on terrain.

I've seen plenty of really nice sculpts come in finecast, and it by no means will be my last experience with it. But my biggest gripe is that while they nicely repackaged the blisters into clamshells to view, the boxes are still surprise packs. When you open the box and everything is in a freaking clampack, get a move on and get a redesign on those boxes for us now.

Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 20 2011, 11:34

I have had the archon sprue on my gaming table all winter with temps between 0 and 25 degrees C with no change so far...

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Nepenthe
Kabalite Warrior
Nepenthe

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 20 2011, 13:05

Got two each of the court models today, the red shirt exchanged one medusa on his own initiative, after we checked out the pre-order bag. The rest look fine to me, but I don't recommend getting these anywhere else than from a GW store.*

*The MAJOR local "independent retailer" told me that they are expecting people to "take one for the team", when it comes to finecast, so I've moved my business to GW for the moment. Plus there's a seriously hot red shirt working there, I kid you not. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych
Nomic

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 20 2011, 19:10

Good to know (about the finecasts, not the redshirt. I know her already and I'm pretty sure she has a boyfriend anyway). I haven't bought many finecasts and the ones I've gotten have been mostly ok, just some minor bubles that were easily filled with greenstuff (altho my Wracks had a lot of broken pipes, but getting new models over something like that seems kinda stupid).

Nepenthe
Kabalite Warrior
Nepenthe

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 20 2011, 20:12

Nomic wrote:
(about the finecasts, not the redshirt. I know her already and I'm pretty sure she has a boyfriend anyway).
My friend, at this age, such things are viewed as challenges, not obstacles!

(Besides, it's just art appreciation...) Wink

Last edited by Nepenthe on Sun Aug 21 2011, 05:45; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
darkmark
Kabalite Warrior
darkmark

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 20 2011, 20:23

You're, at least by what GW state, paying for a premium product. It should be flawless. We as customers shouldn't let them get away with delivering a poor product now, or they'll continue believing all is ok.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 20 2011, 22:53

darkmark wrote:
You're, at least by what GW state, paying for a premium product. It should be flawless. We as customers shouldn't let them get away with delivering a poor product now, or they'll continue believing all is ok.

Bingo. This is why I did not bought new Ork Boyz boxes (16-pack was waaaay better deal, same with AoBR dudes which surprisingly have less mold lines), not to mention "Gorka Morka" Warbuggies/ Trukks (even new ones are hard to swallow).

Anyway for more "OMFG-how-bad" this lil article. I had similar story, tho fourth time I just took money instead of another replacement...

Part 1
Part 2

Considering fact that FW models now cost the same as GW (true, check it out, for example on Teminator Armoured Commanders) ones but have better sculpts... I want IA 1X with Dark Eldar (and please, let there be "Lhamaean Cult" because whips, oil and women/men (depending on preferences) are good way to die Twisted Evil)

And tho I think that GW WILL improve production methods I would skip resin/metal entierly if I would be their CEO. Propertly molded models from proper plastic are superb in ANY way to resin/metal.
Back to top Go down
nurglespuss
Slave
nurglespuss

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23 2011, 09:43

I popped into GW last week, and that resin sheeting was on almost every finecast model....

I was going to pick up the winged autarch to convert, but changed my mind.
Back to top Go down
darkmark
Kabalite Warrior
darkmark

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23 2011, 14:50

I checked out the new Court minis today in my LGS, and was shocked. There were about 6 clam packs of each, and every single pack had bubbles and splits. Getting better? You've having a laugh.
Back to top Go down
Nepenthe
Kabalite Warrior
Nepenthe

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23 2011, 18:19

darkmark wrote:
I checked out the new Court minis today in my LGS, and was shocked. There were about 6 clam packs of each, and every single pack had bubbles and splits. Getting better? You've having a laugh.
Looks like there's still a lot of variance in the product. I still haven't braved to open mine, will have to take a look at them in detail the next time I'm home (probably this weekend)...
Back to top Go down
darkmark
Kabalite Warrior
darkmark

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23 2011, 20:05

Honestly I wouldn't leave the store without checking the product. Maybe the 'helsinkers' are keeping all the good ones there before they distribute to the rest of us!
Back to top Go down
TheDuke
Hellion
TheDuke

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23 2011, 20:05

Buying finescast from GW stores seems to be a safer bet than FLGS's by the looks of things. I've seen nothing but good cast in GW store and nothing but bad ones in indepent retailers.

TheDuke

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23 2011, 20:45

I purchased first fine-cast recently, box of wracks at local independent. checked in store looked fine except lots of flash. One sprue had flash all the way to outer gates, fell right off with out knife, flash rubbed off with thumb. I picked up on way to work, so had to leave in hot car, 90F no a/c, till I got off work. Put box in coolest spot I could find under seat out of sun. Parts didn't melt, won't push luck on 100F day though, I considered cooler with ice for fine cast during heatwaves. The parts looked good till i stared assembling them, then I noticed bubbles. I will just resculpt with putty the missing detail, was going to fill seems between parts anyway. Bubbles didn't mess up anything important, fixing bubbles won't take much longer then removing mold lines on metal use to take.
Back to top Go down
Nepenthe
Kabalite Warrior
Nepenthe

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24 2011, 08:21

darkmark wrote:
Honestly I wouldn't leave the store without checking the product. Maybe the 'helsinkers' are keeping all the good ones there before they distribute to the rest of us!

Well, to be fair, even my 4-guy set had a 1/4 failure rate. And I suspect that the ur-ghul and the medusa are among the models that deal best with finecast (lack of small pointy bits, apart from the medusa parasite itself etc.)
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24 2011, 09:04

I capitulated and got a FC Succubus recently. No problems at all.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Rywhandar
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28 2011, 06:48

I got quite a few Finecasts.

DE: Archon, Succubus, Lelith and Incubis
SM: Marneus Calgar, Librarian, Chaplain and Vanguard Veterans.

All of these have been very good (some cleaning up) except the Vanguard, and my GW exchanged that without any problems.

But I'll agree to the point of checking the contents in the store. Seems like they are improving though.
Back to top Go down
Rip
Hellion
Rip

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28 2011, 23:25

I haven't had a single problem with any of the Finecast releases I've bought yet and I'm mystified as to why anyone would have a downer on the range.

I hated working with metal. Every problem I had with it now isn't an issue with the resin. If I do pay more for each miniature, that's a price I'm prepared to pay for a material that's lighter, easier to convert and with a crisper detail to boot.

Kabal of the Poisoned Tongue / Cult of the Thirsting Blade / The Architects of Flesh
Zahr-Tann Craftworld
Sa'cea Sept
Back to top Go down
Alsath
Slave
Alsath

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01 2011, 11:15

I love Finecast because I hated metal. I sucked at gluing metal and the paint seemed to chip if you so much as dusted it (whilst working, so no seal yet). With Finecast I find it much easier, and I have found errors minimal, especially on newer stuff. I always seem to get models with bubbles on the back of their hands though, but it's not too bad.

The thing I like the least is GWs idea of putting their tradmark and the unit/army name on the bit that's supposed to slot in the base. The models would require minimal work if it wasn't for filing that slab down so it actually fits. I don't like filing the Finecast as there are still mixed opinions as to whether it's safe or not.
Back to top Go down
MaleOpener76
Slave
MaleOpener76

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03 2011, 03:08

Buying failcast is a game of chance, so I only buy directly from mail order.

If you're still unsure about filing/etc. your models, just keep your tools wet and you'll be fine.

For the OP, thank you for such an informative posting. I'll be buying OK failcast shortly, then moving on to some DE.

Sybarite
Anggul

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03 2011, 18:59

What gets me about failcast is that they've actually tricked people into thinking they're a lot more detailed. Really it's mostly just because it's much harder to see detail on the really shiny pewter that they used to be made of, it looks pretty much the same once painted.

Unpainted plastic just shows up detail much more and looks a lot more crisp because it's not shiny, it's matt so it's not obscured. Just look at unpainted plastic models compared to painted ones and you'll see what I mean, you can see the detail easier.

"Oh how awful, did he at least die painlessly? To shreds you say? Well, how's his Dracon holding up? To shreds you say? Very well then... Sad, sad, terrible gruesome news about my colleague Archon Mhu'bhutu." - 'The Feather', Dracon of the Bladed Lotus
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03 2011, 19:23

Fineca$h have few drawbacks when compared to metal (lower durability, far lower tolerance for miscasts due to non-recycleable "junk") but also few advantages (weight, higher adhesion, lower durability).

Well, consider it just plastic processed with methods GW forfeited few years ago (GW plastic > MisCast/Metal, look at newest WFB SoM beasts... or our stuff!), because polyresins are very much alike hobbywise (hell, GW resin is even dust-free, just like plastic!).
Back to top Go down
Nepenthe
Kabalite Warrior
Nepenthe

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03 2011, 21:10

Anggul wrote:
What gets me about failcast is that they've actually tricked people into thinking they're a lot more detailed. Really it's mostly just because it's much harder to see detail on the really shiny pewter that they used to be made of, it looks pretty much the same once painted.

Unpainted plastic just shows up detail much more and looks a lot more crisp because it's not shiny, it's matt so it's not obscured. Just look at unpainted plastic models compared to painted ones and you'll see what I mean, you can see the detail easier.
Yeah, it's not a coincidence a lot of pro painters use the gray undercoat: it allows you to pick out the detail in an unparalleled way. Sadly, I'm familiar with the effect from my other hobby, hi-fi, and I know how rabidly people will defend their perceptions. Since, you know, if you don't believe them, you are calling them gullible and/or liars. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]   Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed] - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finecast Incubi-Haters gonna hate. [closed]
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next