THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

1000 Points All Comers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
LTKage
Hellion
LTKage

1000 Points All Comers Empty
PostSubject: 1000 Points All Comers   1000 Points All Comers I_icon_minitimeMon May 28 2012, 08:11

Hi All,

So my second ravager and second box of Wyches finally came in. This is what I came up with so far:

Head Quarters:

Succubus with Agonizer and Haywire Grenades 90 Points

Elite:

4 Kabalite Trueborn with 4 Blaster in Venom with Splinter Cannon 173 Points

Troops:

7 Wyches with Haywire Grenades and Hekatrix with Agonizer in Raider 174 Points

7 Wyches with Haywire Grenades and Hekatrix with Agonizer in Raider 174 Points

Fast Attack

6 Reavers with 2 Heat Lances 156 Points

Heavy Support:

Ravager with Flicker Field 115 Points

Ravager with Flicker Field 115 Points

Total

Anti-Armor Weapons:
8 Dark Lances
4 Blasters
2 Heat Lances
15 Haywire Grenades

The idea is to deploy my Wyches choices in by terrain that blocks line of sight or at least provides good cover. I figure that a Flat-Out move would make Flicker Field a bit redundant. Ravagers and Blasterborn provide heavy fire support. The Reaver Jetbikes harass isolated units and tanks. Honestly, I'm not sure if I should even bother with the Haywire Grenades with so much anti-tank. I cut cut all the Grenades, which would leave me 36 points to play around with. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Ruke
Wych
Ruke

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Points All Comers   1000 Points All Comers I_icon_minitimeMon May 28 2012, 08:43

Keep the grenades, they are excellent for 2 points.

Hellion
Warinthewebway

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Points All Comers   1000 Points All Comers I_icon_minitimeWed May 30 2012, 00:13

You could always drop the reavers, get 2 haemonculus with liquifier for the wyches and use the points left over to give the raiders FF's.

Sybarite
Raneth

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Points All Comers   1000 Points All Comers I_icon_minitimeWed May 30 2012, 00:34

Looks like a solid list, though t'd be a strong move to drop a Blasterborn in order to swap the Succi for 2 Haemys to accompany your Wyches, and indeed get yourself some Raider FFs. Also, might as well split the Reavers into 2 units of 3.

LTKage
Hellion
LTKage

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Points All Comers   1000 Points All Comers I_icon_minitimeWed May 30 2012, 08:25

Thanks all.

I'm not so sure about the flicker fields. The 5++ is amazing, no doubt about it but when you're zipping around and getting a cover save, is that extra point investment really worth it? Its true that not having 1st turn and units like Hydras can ruin your day but that doesn't seem to cut it for me. Deploying in cover would protect just as well and I doubt that flicker fields will really save you when a Hydra has you in its sights.

I've been debating the merits of the Haemonculi. On the one hand, they're a key ingredient for the Wyche Tarpits of Doom and they make Wyches somewhat survivable in the open. On the other hand, they're not as killy as the Succubus. I'm still on the fence, but I its cool being able to wipe a Terminator Assault Squad on the charge.

That being said, I think I'm already getting a bad rep as a power gamer at my local gaming store. That may or may not be related to the boards we use being 4x4 but I have the feeling that Wyches with Feel No Pain at all times may make things a bit worse.
Back to top Go down
Ruke
Wych
Ruke

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Points All Comers   1000 Points All Comers I_icon_minitimeWed May 30 2012, 16:46

If you are playing on a 4x4 table, you're the one getting screwed over. You lose mobility, and your forces will be in range and in sight of enemy units on a more regular basis.

I would never describe someone who plays DE as a "Power Gamer", even if they tailored their army to beat mine, since, by and large, DE are incapable of "Power Gaming". Grey Knights? sure... Longfang/Razor Spam? absolutely... Hell, I might even go so far as to say that IG Parking Lots, or Blood Angels are OP (Don't personally think they are, but I can see how people can get that impression.) But, I don't think that there are really ANY xeno races that are OP, with DE and 'Crons being on the upside of really good (right now at least).

You should tell the people who think you're power gaming not to mistake a good general for a power gamer, and challenge them to be better generals themselves.

And build your army however you want, regardless of what your peers complain about. If you want haemun, don't worry about people whining and saying you're OP. Tell them to find tactics to make their army better and present more of a challenge to you.

If you normally have some BLoS terrain (7/10 games), or you can reliably give your vehicles cover saves for the first 2 rounds, and you plan on going flat out every single time you move, flickerfields would be a waste (might consider nightshields though). Splitting your RJB into two squads of 3 is a good idea, as it allows you to hit 2 different targets if a single squad does their job well enough. I normally run 3 blasterborn, and that's always worked out well enough for me, and dropping a single BBorn would allow you to put nightshields on your raiders. The succubus is a good option for pure killiness, but Wyches die horrendously fast without FNP. Also, you have no real objective holders. You aren't typically going to be able to get your wyches back to your home obj in time to claim that, and will be lucky if you push forward enough to claim your opponents (should be able to challenge it though). You could switch out your succubus and a blasterborn for a haemun to go with one of your wyches and a squad of 3(+?) wracks for obj sitting. Change the Agos on your wyches to VBlades for nearly as much killiness and give your wracks a venom as well. Use leftover points to give the wyches that will be going with the haemun a shardnet and impaler, and your other wyches a razorflail (or hydra gauntlet, if that's your thing) to improve the chances they will get that much needed first pain token. If you have any points left over after that, buff your wych squads by 1, starting with the one that doesnt have the haemun.

Hellion
LTKage

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Points All Comers   1000 Points All Comers I_icon_minitimeThu May 31 2012, 20:32

Thanks Ruke. Lots of good list building advice. The moral support is much appreciated--I think that most gamers at the store are just not used to facing such an aggressive army/play style. Tread heads run the showand its a comparatively small 40k community. Once they figure out the (obvious) weaknesses of Dark Eldar, they'll probably stop complaining.
Back to top Go down
Ruke
Wych
Ruke

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Points All Comers   1000 Points All Comers I_icon_minitimeThu May 31 2012, 23:26

I think the most important thing you need to ask yourself is what you want to accomplish with your army. It's not just individual units that need to be specialized, it's the entire army! If you want to run a mech spam list, you're going to want to look to haemun, wracks, venoms, ravagers, and BBorn, if you have the points to spend a RJF can work well here, since you're typically going ot have plenty of other AT as well. This is probably the most competitive type of list... (although I also found it the most boring, but you may enjoy it, if all you want to do is win).

If you're going for assaulty then you should look more at BBs and Wyches, and a elite HQ unit like Vect, Duke, or Malys. With this type of list, you're still going to have the ravagers, haemun and wracks, but you'll likely replace your venoms with raiders for extra AT support (don't misunderstand though, wyches and BBs do a excellent job at AT with HWG's). Again if you have the points for it, you may want to invest in a VRB for a bit of extra AI (if you want to buy the missiles), or suffer the darklight curse.

Your third option is a much more interesting, though much more painful option, and that being the WWP list. This list is where you're going to want to look at your taloi and chronoi, grots, beastmasters and hellions. With the exception of your portal carriers, you're going to want to shy away vehicles for the most part.

Scourges and RJB are both decent units and can fit into any of the three army types with relative ease. There's a lot of debate as to which one of those units are better, and it really comes down to personal opinion. I personally like scourges just a bit more, as I can take two heatlances in 5 instead of 6, and can use deepstrike shenanigans.

I try to stay away from incubi, as I think they are overpriced with their lack of an invul save... 3 points less than a termie and a worse statline, no invul save and less versatility? no spank you...

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Points All Comers   1000 Points All Comers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1000 Points All Comers
Page 1 of 1