THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Looking for some C&C on a Test Model

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bearded Dan
Hellion
Bearded Dan

Looking for some C&C on a Test Model Empty
PostSubject: Looking for some C&C on a Test Model   Looking for some C&C on a Test Model I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30 2012, 06:28

Hey folks,

I already posted this in my Project Log thread, but I could really use some advice one it. I'm not quite sure I'm 100% satisfied with it, but I do feel much more satisfied than with earlier models. This guy still needs a base, but that's a fairly simple procedure.

Looking for some C&C on a Test Model 7464664768_81514ef0bf_z
Looking for some C&C on a Test Model 7464665244_b831b5df74_z
Back to top Go down
http://trappedinthebasementcast.com/
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some C&C on a Test Model   Looking for some C&C on a Test Model I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30 2012, 06:38

I really like the glow of the green and the overall effect of the model(forgot to post something in your project log, sorry). I wish that I could offer a useful suggestion as to how you could incorporate the green somewhere else on the model to make it a good spot color, but it is getting late after a long day and I'm really having a brain fart. Where I can offer a more useful suggestion is to highlight the black on the rifle and hands more. It's sort of a black hole in the middle of the model that sucks your eye in to flat nothingness. I really like the skin loincloth-thingy and think that it should be highlighted even more to make it stand out and add some color to a dark model without looking out of place. I really like what you've done with this and your other models.

Hope this helps, and keep up the great work!
ESE

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Bearded Dan
Hellion
Bearded Dan

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some C&C on a Test Model   Looking for some C&C on a Test Model I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30 2012, 06:48

Thanks, ESE!

I agree with bringing up the highlighting more on the rifle and hands. The loincloth needs some more attention too. To bring more green in, I might paint the little nodules on the weapon up in the same way. Or I could try adding some sort of glyph to the shoulder pads. I need to turn in here pretty soon, but I do appreciate your advice.

I have a(n) (explicit) podcast: Trapped in the BasementCast
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some C&C on a Test Model   Looking for some C&C on a Test Model I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30 2012, 08:26

ESE has said exactly what I was thinking, the chest plates need the highlight the same as the armour you've done on the legs, same with the hands. The loincloth at the moment looks more like a piece of khaki cloth than flayed skin, I think quite a cold, pale colour would go well with your scheme.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some C&C on a Test Model   Looking for some C&C on a Test Model I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30 2012, 15:56

Bearded Dan wrote:

To bring more green in, I might paint the little nodules on the weapon up in the same way. Or I could try adding some sort of glyph to the shoulder pads. I need to turn in here pretty soon, but I do appreciate your advice.

Hey, advice is free and opinions are never in short supply on the internet! Razz
I would agree on painting the nodules on the rifle. I was thinking of offering that suggestions, but couldn't decide if it would be too close to the green on the face. I'm a big fan of painting them and painted all of them in my army like teal gems Mad (it takes a while)

One thing that you might try to make the purple plates stand out a bit more is to add a very subtle fine highlight at the peak of the plates. This was a piece of great advice that GAR gave me when I painted my Razorwing. (Check out his Kabal of the Iron Halo; it is AWESOME) It looks like your are using some sort of a greyish color to highlight your purple(I use Fortress Grey to highlight my magenta color). You seem to have a steady enough hand(very clean highlighting btw) to slightly thin down Fortress Grey(or whatever they are calling it) and white in a 50/50 mix to highlight the very peak of the plates and a tiny bit of the edge right before it. I need to do this more with my models to make the purple edges stand out a bit more and will be doing more of this when I paint my Incubi eventually.

Keep at it!
ESE

Back to top Go down
Bearded Dan
Hellion
Bearded Dan

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some C&C on a Test Model   Looking for some C&C on a Test Model I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30 2012, 17:09

Looking for some C&C on a Test Model 7473074848_2b38af7f85_z
Looking for some C&C on a Test Model 7473074050_220a67251b_z

Got a little bit more work done. I will try the grey/white highlight on the purple. Does the black look better now? How about the loincloth?
Back to top Go down
Bearded Dan
Hellion
Bearded Dan

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some C&C on a Test Model   Looking for some C&C on a Test Model I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30 2012, 19:26

Looking for some C&C on a Test Model 7473818820_725b97b3a0_z
Looking for some C&C on a Test Model 7473816104_c240d5b2a7_z

I'm actually pretty please with this at the moment. I did the light grey highlight on the purple. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some C&C on a Test Model   Looking for some C&C on a Test Model I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30 2012, 19:50

Freaking awesome cheers Looks great.

Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some C&C on a Test Model   Looking for some C&C on a Test Model I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30 2012, 23:17

Much better, it looks very cool.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Allandrel
Kabalite Warrior
Allandrel

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some C&C on a Test Model   Looking for some C&C on a Test Model I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01 2012, 00:22

I LOVE how your purple turned out, it's pretty much exactly what I want for my army.

What paints did you use for it?
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some C&C on a Test Model   Looking for some C&C on a Test Model I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01 2012, 14:07

hmmm. seems I am a little late to this one.

My thoughts are that the advise provided so far is very good.

My only thought is the green still seems a little bit off to me, I mean I think it is still good, nothing wrong with it.

However, I feel now that the green on the weapon is a bit too much. My feeling is if you were to dark en the top of those green nodules and make them look like jewels or gems, that would be the way to go. The green is still there, but it complements rather than competes with the nice glow on the helmet.

Also, on the right arm, I think you need to highlight the vertical edges of the armor. It still has a "black void" look from the front and the brighter color will help balance it all out.

Purple armor looks good, loincloth is pretty solid. Overall its a pretty darn nice looking model.

Looking for some C&C on a Test Model Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some C&C on a Test Model   Looking for some C&C on a Test Model I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for some C&C on a Test Model
Page 1 of 1