THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?

Go down 
+13
Mandor
Shadows Revenge
Ruke
Allandrel
Levitas
dangerous beans
DGL
Maddness
Archon Farath Mure
Count Adhemar
Nomic
Chaeril
HERO
17 posters
AuthorMessage
HERO
Hekatrix
HERO

Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? Empty
PostSubject: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01 2012, 16:06

I'm talking about Eldar psykers in particular.

Even though we're still unsure whether or not players can use Guide and Fortune, we do know the Eldar can have access to BRB lores such as Divination.

What powers do you plan on taking with your Farseer?

Sybarite
Chaeril

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01 2012, 16:19

Telepathy - use the enemy mind against them.

Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych
Nomic

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01 2012, 17:54

Divination seems great. It has powers that make enemy reroll succesful saves, gives a friendly unit a 4++ save, lets you throw 3 dice for reserves/outflank/mysteriou terrain and choose which one to take, and make the psyker's unit overwatch with their own bs (20 warriors overwatching with bs4 splinter fire discourages just about anything from charging them).

Telepathy has some nice ones aswell, tho, namely one that gives a target unit +3 cover save and makes enemies hit them with bs and ws 1, and the hallucination one, which eighter pins the enemy, makes them unable to shoot or assault, or makes them hit themselves.

Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01 2012, 18:00

As the BRB powers are random I think I'll stick with the codex powers. Nothing more annoying than spending 100+ points on a psyker only to roll powers that are utterly worthless to your army.

Chaeril
Sybarite
Chaeril

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01 2012, 18:05

Count Adhemar wrote:
As the BRB powers are random I think I'll stick with the codex powers. Nothing more annoying than spending 100+ points on a psyker only to roll powers that are utterly worthless to your army.

haha welcome to the world of WFB ;-)

You might also try 'no psychers whatsoever'...
Back to top Go down
Archon Farath Mure
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01 2012, 18:53

I'm seeing the best synergy with Doom. Fortune would make an Archon amusingly difficult to kill, though. If I take rulebook powers, I believe that I'll get the best mileage out of Divination, for reasons previously stated.

(11/5/2013: A few things have been added to the Kabal's fluff, most notably shifting their base of operations into the Webway, sort of, and adding an alliance with the Alpha Legion, or at least a few heads of the hydra.)
Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych
Nomic

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01 2012, 20:03

Sadly fortune won't work on us, since it specifies Eldar units. Doom does, tho. The randomness means less if you take Eldrad and pump all his 4 rolls into one disciple (you get 4 out of 6 powers, giving you pretty good chanse of getting the ones you want).

Maddness
Slave
Maddness

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01 2012, 21:09

Honestly, I tend to avoid psy powers in 40k, but giving them to the DE from an eldar ally would be both usefull, but a little bit of a points drain, especilly since some of the farseeers powers will be useless to the DE. Plus, just by having the Farseer, or simmilar psyker, makes him and any squad he's with a massive target, since the opponant will know that nullifying them will take a leg of any stratergy you're using. And especilly with the Resist the Witch rule, where even normal units can nullify a psycic power, I would say talking any psyc powers with the DE too risky to be worthwhile.

DGL
Slave
DGL

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01 2012, 21:42

Maddness wrote:
Honestly, I tend to avoid psy powers in 40k, but giving them to the DE from an eldar ally would be both usefull, but a little bit of a points drain, especilly since some of the farseeers powers will be useless to the DE. Plus, just by having the Farseer, or simmilar psyker, makes him and any squad he's with a massive target, since the opponant will know that nullifying them will take a leg of any stratergy you're using. And especilly with the Resist the Witch rule, where even normal units can nullify a psycic power, I would say talking any psyc powers with the DE too risky to be worthwhile.

And how about taking a Farseer with Runes of warding, Doom and Prescience to support a unit of rangers/pathfinders? If you take 6 pathfinders, you have:
6 shots, re-rolling to-hit AND to-wound, pinning, sniper, AP1 on a to-hit throw of 5 or 6, AP2 on a to-wound throw of 6 and 2+ cover if they sit in a ruin. Doesn't sound to bad, doesn't it?
Back to top Go down
dangerous beans
Kabalite Warrior
dangerous beans

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01 2012, 23:29

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you mix and match powers from the Codex and the BRB too? I think I'm going to almost always take Eldrad Ulthran - hes so good for his points, allows strategic redeployment and has a mastery level of 3 (Good LORD knows why the hell normal Farseers only have Master Level 1?!?!?!) as well as all the combos for Farseer + can use x3 powers a turn!

I'd then take x3 on Telepathy in the hope of getting a double or x2 on either Divination or Telepathy and x1 on the other chart... Combined with the Strategy traits for my Warlord, I should be able to play some serious tricks on my opponents in a psychological way...

I'm going to be converting a Dark Eldar model to represent Eldrad and then re-write an alternative background for this renegade Dark Eldar psyker who teams up with some Eldar Corsairs...

EDIT: DGL, that is exactly the supporting unit type I shall be taking!! Terminators simply won't be an issue after these bad boys and a dissie or 2 are aimed at their heads... Twisted Evil

Levitas
Kabalite Warrior
Levitas

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02 2012, 03:48

Invisibility (Telepathy?) and Wyches. Farseer on a jet bike with reavers. Of course you need to roll a 5 to get Invisibility.

Dark Eldar 2k, Space Wolves 3k, Raven Guard 3k
Back to top Go down
Allandrel
Kabalite Warrior
Allandrel

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02 2012, 03:53

An individual psyker must take all their powers from either the codex or the BRB, without mixing and matching. But you get to make this choice for each psyker in your army before deploying - so you can have one psyker using Codex powers and another using BRB powers.

Grey Knight Librarians are an exception: if they choose to generate powers from the BRB, they keep Hammerhand but replace all their other powers.

The WD issue that contained these rules had a battle report where a Daemon Prince had one power from the codex and one from the BRB, but GW getting their own rules wrong in a battle report is not anything new.
Back to top Go down
Ruke
Wych
Ruke

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02 2012, 04:34

Allandrel wrote:
Grey Knight Librarians are an exception: if they choose to generate powers from the BRB, they keep Hammerhand but replace all their other powers.

Ooooooooooof course they can... XD

Wych
Nomic

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02 2012, 12:21

Eldrad actually generates 4 powers, and is the only psyker that can use the same power twice (he's that awesome). Farseers with spirit stones are mastery 2 as it lets them cats 2 powers a turn (the FAQ doesn't state this very clearly, but it does say Eldrad's mastery of 3 includes the bonus from having spirit stones, not to mention the BRB states that in older codices, how many powers you can cast per turn=mastery rating).

Eldrad is definetly the best Farseer, although he does have some downside. He's expensive, and more importantly, you must have a foot unit to babysit him. Can't use powers that are not direct shooting attacks out of a vehicle. RAW, he can't board our vehicles anyway (since allies can't board each others transports). A big Warrior blob would work well, but it's kinda pricy and rather immobile compared to msot of our army. A viable alternative would be a Jetbike Farseer. Cheaper than Eldrad, and more mobile (especially since you can cast most of the new powers at the beginning of movement phase, then turbo boost in the shootign phase), and you can stick him in a unit of Reavers or Hellions or Beasts (all share the 12'' movement). He's less powerful tho, only beign able to cats 2 powers a turn. He can still buy up to 4 rolls, tho. I'd probably buy 3 (60 points), giving me a good chanse of getting some of the better powers.

Chaeril
Sybarite
Chaeril

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02 2012, 12:23

Nomic wrote:
Eldrad is definetly the best Farseer, although he does have some downside. He's expensive, and more importantly, you must have a foot unit to babysit him.

... plus he has a thousand clones, as seemingly every Eldar player uses him...
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02 2012, 14:52

Doom + Fortune all the way.

Also there are ways around the fortune limitations. First off we would have to wait to see how it is FAQed or handled at a tournament (so ask if you can fortune a DE unit or not before you do) or... you could just put the farseer into said squad, and then fortune himself (oh look. I fortuned an Eldar unit, now the entire unit can re-rolls its saves...) Personally Im going to put him on a jetbike and in a unit of beasts w/ Baron... Instant Deathstar

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02 2012, 15:15

Tiresias wrote:
Nomic wrote:
Eldrad is definetly the best Farseer, although he does have some downside. He's expensive, and more importantly, you must have a foot unit to babysit him.

... plus he has a thousand clones, as seemingly every Eldar player uses him...

I have to confess, if I do end up using allies then he is top of my list. He's just too good to miss out on!

Mandor
Kabalite Warrior
Mandor

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02 2012, 15:26

Shadows Revenge wrote:
Doom + Fortune all the way.

Also there are ways around the fortune limitations. First off we would have to wait to see how it is FAQed or handled at a tournament (so ask if you can fortune a DE unit or not before you do) or... you could just put the farseer into said squad, and then fortune himself (oh look. I fortuned an Eldar unit, now the entire unit can re-rolls its saves...) Personally Im going to put him on a jetbike and in a unit of beasts w/ Baron... Instant Deathstar
Fortune can only be cast on Eldar. Dark Eldar are Eldar. Just as Blood Angels are Space Marines. If GW only "wanted" Fortune to work on Codex: Eldar units, they should have specified just that.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02 2012, 15:35

The reason people are saying you can not fortune DE units is in the rule description of Fortune it clearly says "Friendly Eldar unit". As to weither DE count towards Eldar, who knows. It is up to the TO to figure that one out until it is FAQed either way.

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02 2012, 15:41

On the plus side, many abilities in other codexes have now been FAQ'd to limit use of abilities to units from that codex. For example, BA Sanguinary Priests only provide FC & FNP to units from Codex: Blood Angels. Eldar psychic powers were not FAQ'd in this way.

Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02 2012, 19:41

A lack of FAQ about this can mean three things. Either Fortune being cast on the Dark Kin is intended, or GW thinks it's so obvious that it only means CWE that it needs no explanation, OR GW are just lazy as all hell when it comes to DE and Eldar FAQs (since hey, Harlequins are in both codices, yet get buffed only in CWE FAQ). My money's on the latter, though I firmly believe "eldar" in those power descriptions really means all Eldar.

Edit: Whoopsie, the Corsair Farseer is not a Farseer, but Void Dreamer and has completely different psychic powers. Nevermind what I wrote there.

Last edited by Siticus the Ancient on Mon Jul 02 2012, 19:46; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Allandrel
Kabalite Warrior
Allandrel

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02 2012, 19:43

Count Adhemar wrote:
On the plus side, many abilities in other codexes have now been FAQ'd to limit use of abilities to units from that codex. For example, BA Sanguinary Priests only provide FC & FNP to units from Codex: Blood Angels. Eldar psychic powers were not FAQ'd in this way.

Another good example of this is the numerous entries in the Space Marines FAQ that change every reference to "a friendly Space Marine unit" to "a friendly unit from Codex: Space Marines" specifically to prevent the various rules from affecting allied Space Marines.

But given the overall rushed and incomplete FAQs, I am also more inclined to think the lack of this in the Eldar FAQ was an oversight rather than a deliberate decision. After all, at the moment a Shadowseer's Veil of Tears works differently depending on which Codex he is from.
Back to top Go down
forest90
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03 2012, 01:11

Count Adhemar wrote:

we have to wait and see how this one fans out before making a solid investment, but if your right on how BA got a FAQ limitation and DE/Eldar do not. i garuntee you will see both armies together very often,

on a side note, has anyone actualy read the story behind harlequins? this is exactly what they were preparing/preparing for, so i would keep an eye out on the next codex (how ever far away it is) and see who else decides to jump back and forth. a combination of elder and dark eldar bike squads sounds fun. i can still dream if it never does happen.
Back to top Go down
Enfernux
Wych
Enfernux

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03 2012, 06:04

I am actually bothered by the fact that space marines have a gazillion chapters worked out by gw, same with ig, SOME for chaos, but everything after that doesnt have the specific dexes. For ex.: CWE factions, Tau divisions etc.

on topic: i usually try to use the more favorable parts of the rules. So if it says it works on Eldars, then i can say i AM an eldar...a bit goth, but still an eldar Smile
on that: Fortune-Doom, stones. Its to early in the morn for me to start planning strats for it to work. But if the new rules stay and wont get a re-ed, then i think i will start to play my biel-tan.

Gona need meself a 6th ed book soon :S

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/enfer.nux?ref=tn_tnmn
Painjunky
Wych
Painjunky

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03 2012, 07:52

Enfernux wrote:
Gona need meself a 6th ed book soon :S

PLEASE DO NOT PROMOTE ILLEGAL BEHAVIOUR ON THE FORUMS, thanks Dark City Mods

I am fairly meh on magic, seems like too many points. Maybe a cheap farseer with wards, Doom and spear and a small eldar troops choice to come in from reserves and camp on an objective.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?   Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best psychic powers to go with Dark Eldar?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Drukhari Tactics
-
Jump to: