THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Venom units I want to try

Go down 
+11
Captain Mayhem
Spanna uv Komor-AAAGH!
Raneth
Fletch
Sky Serpent
vharing
Venkh
Local_Ork
Saintspirit
Ecophagy
The Strange Dude
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The Strange Dude
Master of Raids
The Strange Dude

Venom units I want to try Empty
PostSubject: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05 2011, 16:31

Ok so the new venom model is out (very nice it is to!) but what units are we considering it will carry?

1st lets assume everyone is going to buy the extra splintercannon (cause why wouldn't you??).

Kabalite warriors - 5 w/blaster in venom 125pts - this is already the standard troop unit for net venomspam lists. Not a bad little unit but is there better?

Wyches 5 w/haywires hekatrix w/agoniser in venom 155pts - Don't think this is gonna be seen that much as 5 is too few wyches but in smaller games may actually be a good unit.

Wracks (via haemie HQ) - 3 in venom 95pts - the cheapest way to get a venom on the table. At first glance not much use other than objective sitting. However if you start an IC with them and detach them first turn to join another unit it's a cheap way to get a pain token early.

Wracks 5 w/liquifier in venom 125pts - an interesting and quite resilliant unit same price as the kabalite venom unit and liquifiers are feared for a reason.

Wracks 3 w/athocyst and hex rifle in venom 120pts - Hex rifles are both sniper weapons and assault weapons with the same raange as a splinter cannon making this unit usefull if your expecting MC's turning stuff into glass statues is fun.

Slave
Ecophagy

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05 2011, 17:15

I think putting 5 Incbui in a Venom seems like a really fast and deadly unit.
Back to top Go down
Saintspirit
Court of Cruelty
Saintspirit

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05 2011, 17:31

I am gonna put four incubi and either my archon or drazhar in a (very pimped) venom, think it could work well as a striker unit.

Painted: 2263pts

shamroll wrote:
Dang! I was hoping Tyranids followed the Pokemon naming idea. A big Carnifex running around just yelling "Carnifex! Carni-Carnifex!" followed by a squad of termagants all saying "Termagant" to each other.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05 2011, 17:50

If You may say that 5 Clowns in stolen (from Wracks for example) Venom is Venom unit...
Back to top Go down
Venkh
Kabalite Warrior
Venkh

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05 2011, 20:23

Does the shadowseers shrouding power work when he is in a vehicle?

That could be interesting, especially when twinned with a nasty CC unit or character.
Back to top Go down
vharing
Hellion
vharing

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05 2011, 21:09

Saintspirit wrote:
I am gonna put four incubi and either my archon or drazhar in a (very pimped) venom, think it could work well as a striker unit.

Tried it in my last game. Be careful what you go after, I tried to kill Vulcan and 5 assault termis. I did 2 wounds to Vulcan with Drazhar and killed one termi with an Incubi and then got pasted with thunder hammers. THe vemon went on to kill to more and some other modals later on.
Back to top Go down
http://bloodangelsdarkeldarandtyranidsohmy.blogspot.com/
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05 2011, 21:21

Venkh wrote:
Does the shadowseers shrouding power work when he is in a vehicle?

That could be interesting, especially when twinned with a nasty CC unit or character.

Sadly, no. It works only for them + ICs
Back to top Go down
Saintspirit
Court of Cruelty
Saintspirit

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05 2011, 21:21

vharing wrote:
Saintspirit wrote:
Tried it in my last game. Be careful what you go after, I tried to kill Vulcan and 5 assault termis. I did 2 wounds to Vulcan with Drazhar and killed one termi with an Incubi and then got pasted with thunder hammers. THe vemon went on to kill to more and some other modals later on.
I'll keep that in mind.

Painted: 2263pts

shamroll wrote:
Dang! I was hoping Tyranids followed the Pokemon naming idea. A big Carnifex running around just yelling "Carnifex! Carni-Carnifex!" followed by a squad of termagants all saying "Termagant" to each other.
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05 2011, 21:33

I'm really intrigued as to what five Wyches with Haywires could do, surely they have more staying power and anti tank than 5 Kabalites?

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05 2011, 22:02

I could even go further - with Shardnet Bloodbrides. More attacks for You, less for enemy, kinda work like 8 or so Wytches
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Kabalite Warrior
Fletch

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13 2011, 19:57

I think a pretty all around unit would be......Venom w/ 2x Splinter Cannon (duh!)

Kabalite Trueborn (5)
2 x Splinter Cannon
2 x Shard Carbine
1 Dracon w/ Splinter Pistol and Venom Blade
Haywire Grenades

Thats....
20 (4+ poison) shots @ 36"
26 (4+ poison) shots @ 18"
17 attacks on the charge (5 Attks wound on 2+) - prefer not to get into HtH with fresh units
5 Haywire attacks vs. vehicles

"If 50 million people believe a foolish idea, it's still a foolish idea"
- unknown
Back to top Go down
Raneth
Sybarite
Raneth

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13 2011, 20:07

I suppose this is the right place to ask my question:

5 Trueborn, 3 carbines and 2 cannons in a nekkid Venom cost 150pt.
5 Scourges, 2 with cannon cost 130pt.

Which would you rather have? I'm leaning towards the Trueborn squad.
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Kabalite Warrior
Fletch

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13 2011, 21:31

Raneth wrote:

Well I guess based on my previous post my answer might seem a bit slanted....I'd vote Trueborn in a nekkid Venom. More shots at longer range (i.e. 36", 14 vs 8 ), more HtH attacks (if needed) option for a cheap 10pt upgrade to 5 attacks wounding on 2s on the charge, better Leadership, ability to buy haywire.

Now to be fair you could spend the extra 20 points on the Scourges to get the upgraded squad leader giving them LD9 and something special.
Back to top Go down
Spanna uv Komor-AAAGH!
Kabalite Warrior
Spanna uv Komor-AAAGH!

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13 2011, 21:39

Raneth wrote:

Could you explain your reasoning more?

To me, the naked Venom is cool, but the Scourges are cheaper, with better armor, and mobility that isn't dependent on an exceptionally fragile vehicle. All that and the Scourges are a Fast Attack slot(one I tend not to fill) and Trueborn would take up an Elite slot that is spoiled for choices that fill a role no other unit can.

If you were going for a more multi-capable unit like Fletch describes above, than you're talking about two different roles(Plasma Grenades or no, combat is not where Scourges should be). But just drowning the enemy in Poisoned Shots? Scourges seem the better choice.

Sybarite
Raneth

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13 2011, 22:01

@ Spanna:

I was thinking of Scourges first, for the reasons you listed. Then I reckoned I could bring a couple extra Splinter Cannons to the party for 20, 30 points more. And I REALLY like Splinter Cannons!

Though, Fast Attack deserves more love! Especially Razorwing Flocks. But that's probably for another thread. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Captain Mayhem
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14 2011, 04:53

for 200 points, I can run a dual splintercannon nightshielded venom with a load of trueborn. Three blasters and two splintercannons just make things drop dead.
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14 2011, 17:36

I have been running 5 warriors with a shredder in a venom with Dual SC & Night Sheilds.

it costs a little more, but it has frustrated the heck out of my opponents. They are often out of range for rapid fire and melta.

The shredder, love it or hate it, is usually good for 3 or 4 wounds. Pile it into a marine unit if a blown up rhino or horde bugs and it is down right brutal.

The venom with NS becomes a relatively safe delivery system so I can bring all my firepower to bear on bunched up units.

Venom units I want to try Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Raneth
Sybarite
Raneth

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14 2011, 18:58

GAR wrote:
The venom with NS becomes a relatively safe delivery system

It should be; it costs more than its cargo! Nasty little package, though Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14 2011, 19:02

Har har... And unlike Blaster squad, it's not "must kill" nasty lil' bugger.

How about Shiled & Cannon, with 2 Dark Lances and 3 Shard Carabines inside?

Last edited by Local_Ork on Tue Jun 14 2011, 19:06; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14 2011, 19:03

Indeed, I played a game with a bug player last week and the night sheilds drove him nuts. None of his termaguants could get a shot off. Complete denial of his short range shoting.

Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14 2011, 19:09

How about Venom with Retrofire Jets, 2 SC and 4 Shredder Trueborns? That should flush most units like Devastators...
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14 2011, 19:10

Local_Ork wrote:
Har har... And unlike Blaster squad, it's not "must kill" nasty lil' bugger.

true that. Unlike the Trueblasters, which will quickly draw heavy weapon fire, the shredder warrior squad is usually going to stick around for a while since most other things "seem" to be a bigger threat.

I like the NS on venoms, I think it is the missing ingredient for a tactically flexible support option.

More on the orignal post

I'm not sold on Wyches in Venoms, but I think blood brides could be possible.

Wracks are alright, but I would rather them in a raider. I would want to have the At DL shot.

But I do love the shredder warriors on a venom, that really is a cheap effective unit.

Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14 2011, 19:13

Local_Ork wrote:
How about Venom with Retrofire Jets, 2 SC and 4 Shredder Trueborns? That should flush most units like Devastators...

For trueborn I would go with Shardcarbines. You don't have to deepstrike as close and you have much greater range.

I know from using my Thunderfire cannons though that the 4 blast templates are just wrong.

Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14 2011, 19:20

GAR wrote:

I'm not sold on Wyches in Venoms, but I think blood brides could be possible.

But I do love the shredder warriors on a venom, that really is a cheap effective unit.

+1
and
+1

They should have same number of attacks as ~7-8 Wytches and Shardnet to limit enemy attacks, so that ballace.
and
I've build army around Shredder-lites. Need to find AT elsewhere tho (nothing hard actually). If enemy DON'T get close, he's Venom units I want to try Bleep
If he DO get close, he is pretty much Venom units I want to try Bleep too.

GAR wrote:
I know from using my Thunderfire cannons though that the 4 blast templates are just wrong.

How about 6 S6 AP4 templates, followed by 9 Power Klaw hits?
My killa Kans love to toy with Spammed Meat...

Venom units I want to try Bleep emoticon came from Da Waaagh forum. <3 it, since it's Orky.
Back to top Go down
speedfreek
Sybarite
speedfreek

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15 2011, 07:46

Local_Ork wrote:
I don't have the wording on the Retrofire Jets here, but "normal" Deep Strike is att cruising speed so passengers may not fire and I don't think they may disembark either.

The Duke's ability to let you DS also lets you disembark (I think)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Venom units I want to try   Venom units I want to try I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Venom units I want to try
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next