THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Warrior horde?

Go down 
+11
CovenoftheDamned
Siticus the Ancient
csjarrat
Nomic
xzandrate
Azdrubael
Blind_Baku
Mushkilla
tlronin
Count Adhemar
Deyfluff
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Warrior horde?  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20 2012, 10:03

Mushkilla wrote:
csjarrat wrote:
table sides are chosen _before_ terrain?
*frantically checks rule*
crap
missed that one!!!

Yeah it's one of those rules where you think "And the point of picking a side is?" I dunno maybe you could get a tactical advantage of making your opponent play with the sun in his eyes.

Wonder how many people ignore that section of the rules? I know we do and I guess almost all tournaments do.

tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20 2012, 10:47

I've been running into this myself. And to clarify in 6th edition you have 2 seperate roll-offs. The 1st roll-off is actually after rolling for mission and deployment. Who wins this roll off indeed chooses the tablehalf (which at this point doesn't bring any real tactical advantage) BUT also gets to place a terrainpiece and/or objective(s) first. So there you have your advantage. Quick example: We threw 3 objectives, I got to place one 1st. So I put 2 objectives in my tablehalf en he only got to put 1 in his. I was fighting IG, to clarify my motivation.

Thén áfter terrain deployment you roll a 2nd time for who goes first.

I found it easiest to just follow the steps in the summary at the back. Very Happy

Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20 2012, 10:50

tlronin wrote:
I found it easiest to just follow the steps in the summary at the back. Very Happy

We found it easier to just set the table up the old-fashioned way and roll for table edge. Very Happy

tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20 2012, 11:01

You could do that, but then you miss the terrain deployment part in which you can place terrain for tactical advantage (which is a part of 40k now with 6th edition).

Quick example: The Tau player I played quickly tried to set craters in my deploymentzone so I couldn't hide (I quickly managed to get 1 big LOS blocking piece on my side which was enough to hide behind). I managed to get ruïns on his side and midfield so I could flatout forward, hide and get into assault turn 2.

The tactics start now with terrain placing. Important to remember.

Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20 2012, 11:40

Fair enough but I'd rather just have a fair and balanced table rather than one designed to help me and hinder my opponent.

tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20 2012, 11:45

Yeah, i see your point. But because you're both deploying you can be sure your opponent will come up with some interesting terrain placement to make it difficult for your army.

In case with the Tau player, I had to cross too much open space (more than I wanted) because of the craters he placed. But he was a little unlucky in his shooting phase. On average more should've exploded. So he almost faced my entire force of Wyches in turn 2.

I'd say, just try it once. Im sure you'll like this change. Smile

Blind_Baku
Kabalite Warrior
Blind_Baku

PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20 2012, 13:57

http://www.theshardnetandimpaler.com/2012/07/rules-simplified-deployment-flowchart.html
Very useful tool for setting up.
Back to top Go down
CovenoftheDamned
Slave
CovenoftheDamned

PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 22 2012, 00:25

I use two squads of 20 loaded with splinter cannons. Keep em in reserve and wait for my haemie to drop that WWP near some comfy terrain. Anything within rapid fire range disappears and if the enemy is outside of rapid fire they are usually close to combat ineffective after the poison bath anyway. Quite fun to see 40 warriors come out in the middle of the table. Rolling on the Stategic Table typically helps this strategy.
Back to top Go down
Krovin-Rezh
Kabalite Warrior
Krovin-Rezh

PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 22 2012, 04:15

I'm tempted to do something I haven't done since the days of 3rd edition: Put as many Warriors on the ground as possible. It had serious weaknesses in 3E, but I was still getting a feel for the game back then. That said, all those Warriors in cover were a handful. I remember battling CSM a lot (they were quite good in 3rd), and my opponent was only able to beat me because of Lash. Now, the Warriors are much better due to overwatch and PGLs. BUT they are more specialized toward poison due to the higher darklight costs (and only one blaster per squad).

I would have to squeeze as much anti-armor into he rest of my army as possible, but I want ay least one Cronos just to throw pain tokens around for cheap (probably two).

I also think a couple vehicles with grisly trophies would be needed, because Warriors are quite susceptible to morale and pinning unless they have a Ld character or three pain tokens attached.

With fewer units/points available for anti-armor, Blasterborn become almost a necessity, although I tend to lean towards Sniperborn for the added longevity of the unit. Maybe even throw some haywire grenades on them for use when they need to scoot.

Sybarite
Deamon

PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 22 2012, 16:00

I tried 20 Warriors with 2 SC behind an Aegis Line last night agianst an Eldar player.
I'll definitly try it again but I got mixed feelings so far. I blew up his transport pretty fast so they sat there, firing only the quad gun and the 2 SCs. There was so much blocking LOS terrain that they shot about 1 turn on 2. They did manage to held the objective and overwatch 2 Harlequins to death when they assaulted to contest. However they did not make their points back and I'm struggling with their lack of mobility... I must be too used to run all my units in skimmers.
Back to top Go down
Krovin-Rezh
Kabalite Warrior
Krovin-Rezh

PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23 2012, 00:39

I would suggest not sticking them on the quad-gun. If there's so much sight-blocking terrain, it should be relatively safe to move them around the board to set up better firing angles.

A smaller squad might work better for the quad-gun, since you're really taking it for the skyfire (otherwise, you might as well get more mobile forms of firepower). Four Wracks do fine if you're already taking Haemonculi, or go with 8 basic Warriors. These numbers are just so they can regroup as long as possible, so you could go with less if you feel like it.

And since you are going with small enough squads, might as well switch the Aegis for a Bastion to improve you line of sight and defense. The heavy bolters might prove useful as well.

Kabalite Warrior
Deyfluff

PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 26 2012, 09:29

Haven't been on in awhile, thanks for all the replies! I like the idea of some cronos thanks mushkilla Smile
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 26 2012, 09:36

If I'm not mistaken Baku might be having his game this week so you will be able to see how it works in practice! It should be useful feedback. Smile

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Deyfluff
Kabalite Warrior
Deyfluff

PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 26 2012, 21:59

Awesome! I'll definitely check it.
Back to top Go down
CovenoftheDamned
Slave
CovenoftheDamned

PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28 2012, 20:24

Yeah I would actually be interested in seeing that as well... Where will Baku be posting it?
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28 2012, 21:03

CovenoftheDamned wrote:
Yeah I would actually be interested in seeing that as well... Where will Baku be posting it?

All Illustrated battle reports get linked in this thread. Baku ended up playing a bigger game against a completely different opponent so didn't end up using the list (as it was very short notice).

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Blind_Baku
Kabalite Warrior
Blind_Baku

PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02 2012, 13:58

I owe you all an apology. There was a surprise waiting for me at my buddies place to the 1k Footdar list was swapped for a more 'conventional' list. I did use somethings I had not tried before but not a fist full of footslogers. Depending on how things go down next thursday (10/11/12) I will be trying them out.

Sorry for the delays, I don't get to play much these days
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05 2012, 19:37

Baku's warrior horde report is up. Smile

Back to top Go down
CaptainBalroga
Sybarite
CaptainBalroga

PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05 2012, 19:46

I've played a 20-man Warrior squad with Duke Sliscus attached in four games now. They were effective both as a threat and as a distraction from the more important squads. In two games I had them come on from reserve and blast apart an enemy squad that had gotten close. They also have a Bloodthirster to their credit; said Bloodthirster would have annihilated them had they not succeeded, however. I have not faced anyone with truly long-ranged shooting, but keeping them in reserve worked just well in keeping them safe until some of the big threats were off the table. Their success has me considering a webway portal! Time to dust off the Haemonculi.

Kabalite Warrior
Blind_Baku

PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05 2012, 20:39

Thank you for linking that up Mushkilla.

CaptainBalroga wrote:
I've played a 20-man Warrior squad with Duke Sliscus attached in four games now. They were effective both as a threat and as a distraction from the more important squads. In two games I had them come on from reserve and blast apart an enemy squad that had gotten close. They also have a Bloodthirster to their credit; said Bloodthirster would have annihilated them had they not succeeded, however. I have not faced anyone with truly long-ranged shooting, but keeping them in reserve worked just well in keeping them safe until some of the big threats were off the table. Their success has me considering a webway portal! Time to dust off the Haemonculi.

The reserve option and the Duke were two things I was thinking would be of great help in the game lastnight.

At this point I'm willing the scrap my attempts as a foot only list, maybe a big block of warriors, especially with the duke, could be of use, but without the mobility or range of other armies they fall too quickly, even with FnP. Perhaps if the points scaled up to 1.5k and there were some distractions to draw/split fire from the MCs it would fare better, but the list idea is too far out of my playstyle for me to be comfortable trying it again anytime soon.

Back to top Go down
ravengoescaw
Heamonculi
ravengoescaw

PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05 2012, 20:58

with the warrior blob behind a ADL, I would worry about at least one thing 20 Termigaunts, with devourers in a Mycetic Spore, This is a fairly standard unit according to Thetyranidhive.proboards. Deep Strike said unit behind ADL, open up with 60 STR 4 shots from the gaunts, and 5 STR 5 6 STR 6 From the Mycetis spore.

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12640-band-of-the-unbending-thorn#142250

Still fighting the world and saving damsels in distress. ~Raven
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warrior horde?    Warrior horde?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warrior horde?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2