THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

talos pain engine, how to use?

Go down 
+6
mug7703
Bibitybopitybacon
Azdrubael
Seshiru
Cavash
shadowseercB
10 posters
AuthorMessage
shadowseercB
Wych
shadowseercB

talos pain engine, how to use? Empty
PostSubject: talos pain engine, how to use?   talos pain engine, how to use? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 21 2012, 18:56

I have one pain engine. How do I get it into melee combat? Any other suggestions on use will be welcome.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: talos pain engine, how to use?   talos pain engine, how to use? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 21 2012, 19:17

Getting one into combat might be difficult the way that I use them. I tend to use at least two and have them at the centre or the front of my main force but in cover. The rest of my army is usually in Raiders which then rush forward and pose as a distraction while the Pain Engines march slowly forward ready to wreck face.

The other way to use them would be to use a WWP, but they can't assault after entering from it, so they could draw a lot of fire.

I hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Seshiru
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: talos pain engine, how to use?   talos pain engine, how to use? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22 2012, 15:20

The Splinter Cannon is nice because you don't need to get close.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: talos pain engine, how to use?   talos pain engine, how to use? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22 2012, 16:22

You also want to run with MC...
Back to top Go down
Bibitybopitybacon
Wych
Bibitybopitybacon

PostSubject: Re: talos pain engine, how to use?   talos pain engine, how to use? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 23 2012, 05:35

Dropping a couple armed with heatlances and liquifiers out of a WWP into the other guys face could work although, depending on how close you can get, the Haywire blaster may be a better investment. Even though you can't assult after comming out of reserve you can still melt face with a twin linked liquifier or pop a transport with one and then melt the people inside with the other ones acid sprayer (a chronos could be fun against a foot slogging army of MEQ. A Strength 4 AP3 flamer and an AP 3 large blast can ruin any SM's day, not to mention the pain tokens you get.)
Back to top Go down
mug7703
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: talos pain engine, how to use?   talos pain engine, how to use? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 23 2012, 12:11

How would people equip and use two Taloi in a fast army that is going to race up the field on turn 1? I'm thinking I'd use two and have them camp on objectives denying the enemy or slowly march up to their lines largely ignored due to everything else being in their face.

I can't decide between keeping them stock, or just equipping them with a LFG for 105pts or just a haywire blaster for 105pts.

It's a tough call.
Back to top Go down
http://www.trevelyanharper.co.uk
Darklight
Sybarite
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: talos pain engine, how to use?   talos pain engine, how to use? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 23 2012, 13:18

Not a fan of talos, but I would load it with Haywire blasters, as I am a huge fan of those.
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: talos pain engine, how to use?   talos pain engine, how to use? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 23 2012, 13:57

I would go Twin-liquefier always, and then it's a toss up between haywire and splinter cannons. Heatlances should only really be used when coming out of a portal.
Back to top Go down
mug7703
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: talos pain engine, how to use?   talos pain engine, how to use? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 23 2012, 14:15

Mushkilla wrote:
I would go Twin-liquefier always, and then it's a toss up between haywire and splinter cannons. Heatlances should only really be used when coming out of a portal.

Yea I think the LFG is pretty amazing and the only twin-linked one in the codex and for only 5pts! I think the SCs are good enough and means it can do damage before getting near the enemy but I'd have to try out both.
Back to top Go down
http://www.trevelyanharper.co.uk
Rancid blade
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: talos pain engine, how to use?   talos pain engine, how to use? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 23 2012, 21:13

I run two of these kittens. I give them haywire blasters, chain flails and a CCW. If you need them to sit back and shoot vehicles, then they're great. If you get them into the fight they'll make chop sui of most close combat units. T7 and 3+ save makes them pretty resilient. With the changes to FNP they're better than they were once they get a PT. Since they're slow they make a great counter attack unit.

Another advantage is that people don't see them often and so they don't really understand what they can do. Up to 8 attacks on the charge at str7, and AP2 is gruesome.

One draw back is once someone sees your talos take out three or four terminators in one turn they will make the talos a priority.

Keep them away from force weapons...
Back to top Go down
Seshiru
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: talos pain engine, how to use?   talos pain engine, how to use? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 23 2012, 23:05

The recent FAQ on how Smash attacks work really benefits the Tallos with the Random Attacks (halving the base rounded up then adding in all other attacks)

If you roll say a 1, then you still get your bonus attack for charging, and potentially your bonus for extra weapon (if you took an extra cc weapon) but they are all at str 10.

If you roll a 3 then could lose 1 attack in exchange for being at 10 str, which may matter for instant death purposes etc.

Not a fan of the Haywire Blaster, it basically aims to strip away one hull point and most vehicles have 3, three turns of shooting with your Tallos on a vehicle is a waste IMO
Back to top Go down
xzandrate
Kabalite Warrior
xzandrate

PostSubject: Re: talos pain engine, how to use?   talos pain engine, how to use? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 24 2012, 16:47

Talos wouldn't be your primary AT with the haywire, but it's great to have as the mop up guy to finish off that last hull point on a vehicle.

If your darklight weaponry is anything like mine you will need him to do that alot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: talos pain engine, how to use?   talos pain engine, how to use? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

talos pain engine, how to use?
Page 1 of 1