THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Quad Gun?

Go down 
+6
Seshiru
immelman
kenny3760
Massaen
Nomic
Tony Spectacular
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Tony Spectacular
Kabalite Warrior
Tony Spectacular

Quad Gun? Empty
PostSubject: Quad Gun?   Quad Gun? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2012, 10:37

So i'm thinking about taking an ADL, primarily for the Quad Gun (and no, not just to exploit Lelith's special rules as mentioned in another thread). I'm wondering about your experiences with it, if it's viable and with what unit manning it? I'm thinking that it could be a contender if manned by Sniperborn. Two lances with the spare man operating the heavy machinery. That'd be the 4 TL Quad shots plus the 2 DLs. That could be truly devastating, and not all THAT points costly, especially in 1500+ games. I might even put 3 wracks behind there, to camp on a well protected objective and to unlock an unmanned Venom (in this case making the ADL a line instead of a box so that the units have breathing room away from each other).

I hate having immobilized forces, but I don't see this being much worse off than Sniperborn in ruins, but with the significant heavy arms advantage.
Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych
Nomic

Quad Gun? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quad Gun?   Quad Gun? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2012, 11:41

It's one of the best anti-flyer weapons there is at the moment (especially as it can shoot at the flyers the turn they come in). I run an allied Farseer and use him and the squad guarding him to man it, as he can't use his powers from inside a vehicle anyway.
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

Quad Gun? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quad Gun?   Quad Gun? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2012, 12:33

I think it's a massive red herring to be honest. It's easy to kill, makes your force static and is in no way up to the task of AA against the real nasty flyers... Like the hell drake.
Combined with the fact terrain goes on after the fortifications meaning your opponent can easily block your Los and you have an ineffective weapon... Just my opinion mind you
Back to top Go down
http://objectivesecured.com.au/
kenny3760
Sybarite

Quad Gun? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quad Gun?   Quad Gun? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2012, 13:16

Used it in the past and found it pretty useful for taking down flyers.
You can build the ADL around and objective in your deployment zone giving you a nice 3+ (or is it 2+) save if you go to ground. Even better if your opponent dumps a nice LOS blocking bit of terrain in front of it.
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

Quad Gun? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quad Gun?   Quad Gun? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2012, 14:34

You can't deply an objective in a fortification - so depending on how you read that - you can't put an objective in an ADL that is a closed shape.

That said, if you take the 2+ cover save then your not firing the quad gun in the first place!

If your opponent does put a nice tall piece of terrain in front of the gun - why take the gun at all - take the ADL without it and save the 50 points!
Back to top Go down
http://objectivesecured.com.au/
immelman
Slave

Quad Gun? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quad Gun?   Quad Gun? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2012, 15:21

Honestly I do not think DE can truly benefit from this since we were not meant to stay immobile. It of course depends on your list but I since mine is highly mobile I will not tie up a large chunk of my points in a static defensive line. Its a matter of perspective I guess...
Back to top Go down
Tony Spectacular
Kabalite Warrior
Tony Spectacular

Quad Gun? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quad Gun?   Quad Gun? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2012, 17:12

I would only take the ADL for the Quad Gun. The cover is a nice bonus, but the gun is the point. At tournaments the TO places terrain before you approach the table, so blocking LoS isn't an issue. And like I said, Sniperborn manning it (the 2 DLs firing, the third man on the gun) seems effective to me, and isn't a unit I would be moving anyway. Has anyone actually run this setup?
Back to top Go down
Seshiru
Sybarite

Quad Gun? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quad Gun?   Quad Gun? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2012, 17:34

I think the Aegis Defense Line + Quad gun is pretty good for Eldar units, espically looking at some of the exarch powers available (I've tried the fire dragons maning the gun as suggested on this board and it worked well enough). In a pure dark eldar sceam it's hard to come up with units that would actually man the gun effectively, sniperborn is good but at that point you are paying 181 points for that fire power (50 aegis + 50 for Quad Gun + 81 for sniper born) why not just get a void raven? or another unit of sniper born?
Back to top Go down
kenny3760
Sybarite

Quad Gun? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quad Gun?   Quad Gun? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2012, 19:32

Massaen wrote:
You can't deply an objective in a fortification - so depending on how you read that - you can't put an objective in an ADL that is a closed shape.

That said, if you take the 2+ cover save then your not firing the quad gun in the first place!

If your opponent does put a nice tall piece of terrain in front of the gun - why take the gun at all - take the ADL without it and save the 50 points!

Don't close the ADL, when I've used it I tend to shape it like a crescent.
There are times when going to ground is better than firing weapons, especially if there is an objective to be claimed.
You take the gun as you don't know if your opponent will dump a piece of terrain in front of the ADL. At most tournaments the terrain will have been set up beforehand and the possibility of the quad gun losing LOS is down to where you place it.

Really if you are bothered by flyers, take it, if not leave it at home.
Back to top Go down
Orthien
Sybarite
Orthien

Quad Gun? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quad Gun?   Quad Gun? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2012, 20:53

From experience I take a Quad gun and I close the ADL around it. A deep strike squad can easily drop behind it and negate your cover should you not.

While Sniperborn are good behind it you still need 6's to hit any flyers they shoot at. Saying that if your using it to intercept incoming reserves then you don't have to worry about the gun in your shooting anyway so the Sniperborn can fire at ground units.

I personally like to take things with cover bonuses behind it. Small units of Mandrakes or Harlequins while more expensive than Sniperborn have great survivability behind the wall. Part of the reason I love Mandrakes is how effective a full unit with a PT turn one behind a centrally deployed ADL is at forcing an opponent to split to the sides while soaking a lot of fire in return.
Back to top Go down
Tony Spectacular
Kabalite Warrior
Tony Spectacular

Quad Gun? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quad Gun?   Quad Gun? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2012, 22:37

I liked the idea of Sniperborn because if the Quad Gun fired at a flyer using intercept the DLs could fire on a different target in their turn.
Back to top Go down
curebdc
Hellion
curebdc

Quad Gun? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quad Gun?   Quad Gun? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27 2012, 04:35

I like ork allies and a squad of lootas manning the gun. Even if u go to ground u still shoot just cause u have so many shots!
Back to top Go down
Nid Vicious
Slave

Quad Gun? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quad Gun?   Quad Gun? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27 2012, 17:26

What's the Lillith special rule? Are you referring to her having BS 9 and special rules of an IC?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Quad Gun? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quad Gun?   Quad Gun? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27 2012, 17:36

Nid Vicious wrote:
What's the Lillith special rule? Are you referring to her having BS 9 and special rules of an IC?

Details here
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Quad Gun? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quad Gun?   Quad Gun? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quad Gun?
Page 1 of 1