THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Commorragh - Birth of an idea

Go down 
+24
leinmann
Gobsmakked
dangerous beans
sammun
Garran
wanderingblade
krayd
Grub
inorexia
Devilish
Massaen
Archon Farath Mure
Orthien
Goran
Super Dave
Saintspirit
GAR
Evil Space Elves
Cavash
Kinnay
Thor665
Mushkilla
Shadows Revenge
Sky Serpent
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Orthien
Sybarite
Orthien

Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09 2013, 00:15

I have never played a game of this type but it sounds a lot of fun and would be happy to help in any way I can.

Kabalite Warrior Helm Project Log: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t5342-real-life-kabalite-helm
Back to top Go down
Archon Farath Mure
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09 2013, 01:06

Fantastic idea. I'd be happy to help where I can.

(11/5/2013: A few things have been added to the Kabal's fluff, most notably shifting their base of operations into the Webway, sort of, and adding an alliance with the Alpha Legion, or at least a few heads of the hydra.)
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09 2013, 02:43

The incubi sect is where my main interest lies... Are we thinking hired swords or as a crew in their own right?

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09 2013, 04:25

Using the parlance of Necromunda, I'd think of them as hired guns rather than a gang in and of themselves.

Basically, with at least my mental conception of the game, I don't see squads of Incubi participating in gang warfare.

Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09 2013, 06:34

The rat skins of necromunda went this way. I have a few ideas on how they might be both just like them

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09 2013, 07:54

I would love to devlope the reaver gangs. If that's ok. Smile

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09 2013, 08:05

It will be interesting to see those balanced.

Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09 2013, 08:35

Thor665 wrote:
It will be interesting to see those balanced.

Indeed it will be very hard, that's part of the challenge. But i'm sure small numbers, lack of being able to use certain cover, and no heavy weapons as well as other restrictions will ensure they are balanced and one of the harder gangs to use effectively. Smile

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Devilish
Kabalite Warrior
Devilish

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09 2013, 10:15

I'm looking forward to this. I've played Mordheim and Necromunda before... Well also currently. Skirmish games have been more captivating than the big army games when funds have been low and they are so much fun when the stories come to life. You should also look at a fanmade game called Death squads. It's a Mordheim based 40k skirmish, a fun game.

Not to dilute the Dark Eldarishness of the game, I'd like to see Sslyth as an option for a gang or as a hired gun. Most of the court could be made into hiredguns and what about beastmaster gang?

Back to top Go down
inorexia
Hellion
inorexia

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15 2013, 09:50

/de-lurk

Brilliant! I love games like this. I even started writing rules for a reaver racing game when I first got the codex!

Wych
Grub

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15 2013, 10:43

Mordheim is great and this would be epic. I think though to give it a bit of flair alongside the warbands there should be "NPCs" such as groups of reavers, hellions, mandrakes etc that will maraud around. There could be rules where you can trade slaves and money to bribe these bands to attack others or ally with you for a round. Alongside that I think to really get into Commorragh there has to be bountys and betrayal. So perhaps it would work well with 3+ players?

This game might be fun with you starting off as a lone Dracon and you have to hire your mercenaries from the depths of commorragh. In Mordheim the battles are great but the imbetween sorting things out was a bit slow so what if when doing this was also dangerous, you had to go around getting as many men as you could for your collected gold, buy weapons, bribe gangs, hire bounty hunters, fend off bounty hunters and robbers.

This would need a "game master" who controlled NPCs, players would take it in turns to secretly tell him what you want to do. That way when he moves gangs, NPCs, bounty hunters etc players will have a scence of danger as they will not know who (if anyone) is coming for you!

A very slow, 30K Salamander Distraction Log: VULKAN LIVES
Back to top Go down
krayd
Hekatrix
krayd

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15 2013, 16:36

A long time ago (well before the release of the current codex), someone started developing a 40k-based skirmish game called 'Tales from the Dark City', which was pretty much exactly what is being discussed here. There was a website devoted to it, but it seems to have completely disappeared, though there are some archived snippets of the site here and there, such as this one:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050205214354/http://www.gundambattlesystem.net/talesfromthedarkcity/

Perhaps this (and any further remnants of that game, if they exist) can be mined for possible ideas for the development of the new game, (especially if there is anything of use game systemwise).
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15 2013, 21:17

That stuff is pretty close to my mental conception of the game - good find!

Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15 2013, 23:18

Good find! We can definitely use some of that, interesting to find another Dark City Forum from way back when too and the same idea as well.

The guy who started that was Nick Davis, he used to be in White Dwarf when I first started collecting, takes me back. Smile

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
wanderingblade
Kabalite Warrior
wanderingblade

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16 2013, 18:28

Sky Serpent wrote:
Good find! We can definitely use some of that, interesting to find another Dark City Forum from way back when too and the same idea as well.

The guy who started that was Nick Davis, he used to be in White Dwarf when I first started collecting, takes me back. Smile

Back when WD was good...

Devilish wrote:

Not to dilute the Dark Eldarishness of the game, I'd like to see Sslyth as an option for a gang or as a hired gun. Most of the court could be made into hiredguns and what about beastmaster gang?

That would be cool - and while it might be a dilution, I think escaped slaves do need to be in, if only so that my mighty warriors can hunt these ungrateful vermin down. Preferably alive. They will encourage the others better... alive. Technically alive.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16 2013, 18:58

I think if we're going to move this forward we need to have some sort of concept in mind of what the end game result is.

I will admit I'm coming at it from a very similar place as the earlier link - a plug-in to Necromunda and cross compatible with that game.

Is anyone thinking anything different as far as that goes?

Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16 2013, 19:20

I think a plug in to necromunda would be good. However the new 6th edition rules lend themselves well to skirmish games. Going to ground in area terrain giving +2 to cover saves alone has made suppression fire in 40k functional. So I don't see why we couldn't do a 6th edition port with a few tweaks, it would also be easier for people to pick up. At leasts that's how I see it.

Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16 2013, 19:22

Suppression fire existed in Necromunda and 2nd too, though via pinning and overwatch.

But I'm certainly not against the idea of trying to work in some 6th edition stuff.

Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16 2013, 19:38

Thor665 wrote:
Suppression fire existed in Necromunda and 2nd too, though via pinning and overwatch.

It did and that's why it was a good game, and why say a 5th edition port would not have worked. All I was getting at that in 6th suppression works, especially with low toughness bad armour models. So unlike a 5th edition, 6th edition has a reasonable chance of being able to make a decent skirmish game.

Back to top Go down
Garran
Slave
Garran

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16 2013, 20:33

I would like to say that while I have fond memories of Mordheim / Necromunda, those game mechanic are bad. Very bad. To the point when one player (me in Mordhem precisely speaking) could end the game without a single successful action - dice. And that sucks ass. Generally those games are mostly luck dependent when it comes to the gameplay mechanics. The campaign part was epic though! Please oh please don't use that game mechanic.. It's bad for a game. In 40k at least the statistic somewhat works, and the bigger dice pool the more tactical thought you can put into action and its consequences. It is possible to simply modify this mechanic a little to suit skirmish games (Mord/Necro did not do this).

So really it depends on the concept of the game. If you want it to be silly dice throwing / luck contest; in which thinking is unnecessary (like Talisman for example) Mordheim mechanics will do.
If you want something complex and in depth with tactical thinking, where you try to outsmart opponent I would aim at Infinity mechanics (the best skirmish game there is imo) with Mordheim / Necromunda style campaign.

I would love to join the project, I have a bit of experience with this kind of thing, but I would prefer to have a good tactical skirmish.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16 2013, 21:36

I thought Mord was pretty bad as far as balance and gameplay.

I didn't have any real Necromunda issues that the fan community didn't solve (basically by making it harder to just spam las weaponry and swords) and consider that game rather strategical. I certainly believe you could take me and hand me a Necro gang and pit me off versus 12 players with no concept of Necromunda and I would be able to win over half the games due to understanding the mechanics and tactics better than a newb is likely to be able to manage.

What would you define as the differences that Infinity brings to the table over Necromunda to make it more tactical?

Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16 2013, 21:41

The necromunda WS/A system had problems and how close combat weapons worked, two close combat weapons was better than anything else because you got an extra attack, which mean't you would roll two dice pick the highest for determining combat.

Still it was a lot better than mordenheim, which was quite frankly horrendous.

Back to top Go down
krayd
Hekatrix
krayd

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16 2013, 21:46

I don't foresee a major rules overhaul being needed. A tweaked version of 6th Ed, perhaps with some additional morale rules to account for each model being able to be a one-man unit, and maybe some advantages to close combat for multiple models ganging up on single models (maybe even based on facing/direction of attack). Perhaps some ammo limits on certain weapons.
Back to top Go down
sammun
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16 2013, 23:39

I'm playing a lot of the skirmish games at the moment, mainly necromunda and the INQ28 rules. I'm personally finding these games a whole heap more gripping and honestly, much more enjoyable than the real 40K games.

Oddly enough, my current project is a Dark Eldar raiding party. So I already have the minis started!

The idea of a Dark Eldar version of the game?

How do I put this???

YEAH BABY!!!

So, where do I sign?

Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16 2013, 23:48

Nick Davis wrote:
Hello Paulie,
Thank you for the email, and as chances are this email does still work.

It is good to see there are still fans of the Dark Ones out there, the Dark Eldar are an aspect of Eldar society that has long been overlooked and underused.

I had no idea Tales of the Dark City was still out there, please feel free to plunder it as long as you give credit to the rule sources and I am really sorry I am incredibly busy with other projects so I don't really have much time I can give to help. Good luck, remember Dark Eldar are a nasty, sadistic bunch I've found playing them and writing a rules systems for them is to treat everything they do with a joyful comic book Ming the Merciless evil.

Have fun,
Arigato,
Nick

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Commorragh - Birth of an idea   Commorragh - Birth of an idea - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Commorragh - Birth of an idea
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next