THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Character lost in battle.

Go down 
+4
Siticus the Ancient
Damnosus
Archon of the shadow
Gregantula
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Gregantula
Slave
Gregantula

Character lost in battle.  Empty
PostSubject: Character lost in battle.    Character lost in battle.  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20 2012, 05:17

Kind of a fluffy question I suppose.

Naturally, I named my Kabal/Cult and Archon/Succubus, but when fighting a battle with a friend, and you lose that Character, how do u excuse their returning in the next battle you fight? (Ie, I'm sure many a player have lost Lelith in a losing, or winning, but bloody battle. Yet she will return next weekend on the dining room table to fight it out again. ).

I read that DE don't use soul stones, so that excuse is sorta shot. Was their corpse perhaps peeled off the battlefield, and revived by a haemonculus? What about if a Succubus gets completely, instant death disintegrated by, say, a Tau Railgun? (That incident is still a bit of a sore spot for me, lol)
Back to top Go down
Archon of the shadow
Hellion
Archon of the shadow

PostSubject: Re: Character lost in battle.    Character lost in battle.  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20 2012, 06:10

well i dont know about you but i have read quite a bit of dark eldar fluff and one think archons tend to do is leave some of their DNA i would say with their most trusted haemonculi as a sort of respawn token. the haemonculous can revive the dead archon from that bit of DNA usually for some kind of payment (like some slaves to mutate or something). most of this information i read in the book path of the renegade. i am not sure about the whole dust situation from a railgun as i know how you feel about that coincidence as i fight tau often. Mad but like i said if lelith for example hade a haemoculus under her control she could donate a finger so to say to be brought back after being obliterated. Cool
Back to top Go down
Damnosus
Hellion
Damnosus

PostSubject: Re: Character lost in battle.    Character lost in battle.  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20 2012, 06:47

Yea I have heard the whole respawn thing from DNA. However, being a casualty in game doesn't necessarily mean you are dead: casualty means you can no longer fight, so maybe the character was knocked out or used a means of teleportation just at the last second. Remember, this is sci fi where just about anything can happen.
Back to top Go down
Archon of the shadow
Hellion
Archon of the shadow

PostSubject: Re: Character lost in battle.    Character lost in battle.  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20 2012, 07:02

yes but in the case of a railgun shot you are most likely dust if it hit you. especially being one of the most powerful weapons.
Back to top Go down
Damnosus
Hellion
Damnosus

PostSubject: Re: Character lost in battle.    Character lost in battle.  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20 2012, 07:53

Yea but who's to say if it hit you? Maybe the railgun didn't in fact hit your character but instead hit the ground in front of your character causing enough shrapnel to kill/maim/knock him/her out but leaving enough DNA behind to resurrect the character?
Back to top Go down
Gregantula
Slave
Gregantula

PostSubject: Re: Character lost in battle.    Character lost in battle.  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20 2012, 08:17

I suppose that the DNA thing is the most plausible, and given the sci fi thing, I agree that pretty much anything goes. I just wanted to get a feel for the MOST plausible option, as 6th ed REALLY pushes the "forging a narrative" thing down your throat, which is really fun and neat. My friend and I are trying to come up with a cool backstory for our armies' constant battling, hence the need for characters re animating, lol.

I really appreciate the input, and I DO look forward to hearing more ideas.
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Character lost in battle.    Character lost in battle.  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20 2012, 08:46

To be fair, a Railgun shot mostly will leave plenty of bits intact, just scattered all over the place - it is a solid slug projectile, after all, it doesn't disintegrate, it punches a large hole with massive force. In general, there is bound to be something left - whether it's some gory bits on the ground, severed limbs or even a rather intact body. If it's complete disintegrations, there's always the haemonculi insurance of leaving some bit of yourself with them for later resurrection.

As for Lelith, when I used her in my games, her death usually meant that she had chipped three of her nails and furiously left the field of battle. She has an image of perfection to uphold!

As it is with other races, well, anything from being revived through superscience to not dyin' quite as hard (or spectacularly)because of said superscience, say, a Space Marine captain surviving even after heavy bodily damage due to inner cybernetics. Take Lufgt Huron/Huron Blackheart, for example. He survived a meltagun straight into the face and all it did was make him a bit more uglier, whereas a regular guardsmen would simply a small mound of ash.

Archon of the shadow
Hellion
Archon of the shadow

PostSubject: Re: Character lost in battle.    Character lost in battle.  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20 2012, 15:29

i play tau as a second army and i am pretty sure it is not a slug projectile. last time i checked a rail rilfe doesn't shoot slugs and nothing tau shoot slugs hence plasma. the railgun is a bigger version of a rail rifle. it'd be most like getting shot with a lightning bolt.
Back to top Go down
Damnosus
Hellion
Damnosus

PostSubject: Re: Character lost in battle.    Character lost in battle.  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20 2012, 15:53

I haven't read the Tau fluff, but real life Rail Guns use slugs which are shot via magnetics, maybe that is what Siticus is thinking of?
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Character lost in battle.    Character lost in battle.  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20 2012, 15:55

Even in fluff the Tau are firing solid slugs with their railguns.
That's really basically what a railgun is - a magnetic gun barrel that fires solid slugs.

Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: Character lost in battle.    Character lost in battle.  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20 2012, 16:24

Moved to background as it seems a bit more fitting - Cavash.

Character lost in battle.  YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
Archon of the shadow
Hellion
Archon of the shadow

PostSubject: Re: Character lost in battle.    Character lost in battle.  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20 2012, 16:55

okay, oh well. fair enough. still i doubt that there would be very much left of somebody who took a direct hit.
Back to top Go down
Gregantula
Slave
Gregantula

PostSubject: Re: Character lost in battle.    Character lost in battle.  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20 2012, 17:37

I think that technically a magnetically charged barrel could accelerate and fire off some immense ball or beam of charged energy. Personally, an actual chunk of ammunition seems a bit archaic for such a high tech race. But, I lack the research, entirely, so it's just an opinion.

I LOVE the idea of Lelith's pissing off because of a chipped nail. Haha!
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Character lost in battle.    Character lost in battle.  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20 2012, 18:42

yeah, your character can just be maimed or wounded and have to be pulled off the battlefield. Just because she died doesnt mean she is dead. A causualty or some other way *got ticked that his shadowfield broke, or that he was actually wounded!!!* Could make him get off the field and leave.

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Rauky
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Character lost in battle.    Character lost in battle.  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20 2012, 19:48

Gregantula wrote:
I think that technically a magnetically charged barrel could accelerate and fire off some immense ball or beam of charged energy. Personally, an actual chunk of ammunition seems a bit archaic for such a high tech race.

it's not so much a charged barrel as a row of electo magnets and as the ammo reches one magnet the elecric curent is cut and so on leting the ammo move at speeds faster the ammunition we have now can move. The high tech part is powering it i made one and i had to use a larg amount of power to use one that is the size of a regular firearm. To use one the size the tau have it would need in prezent times a tank full of power cells.
Back to top Go down
Archon of the shadow
Hellion
Archon of the shadow

PostSubject: Re: Character lost in battle.    Character lost in battle.  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 21 2012, 04:39

i inquired with my friend who is quite knowing in tau fluff as he plays tau and he said that the railgun fires a projectile of sorts that is accelerated at very high speeds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Character lost in battle.    Character lost in battle.  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Character lost in battle.
Page 1 of 1