THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Our links to the Druchii

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Shbur
Hellion
Shbur

Our links to the Druchii Empty
PostSubject: Our links to the Druchii   Our links to the Druchii I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13 2013, 08:15

Games Workshop has always kind of hinted at the fact that the universe of WHF and WH40K are somewhat linked; not entirely, of course. The most obvious relative of the Dark Eldar are the Dark Elves. With that in mind the most obvious relative of Eldar, are the High Elves (or the High Elves + the Wood Elves (unless you wanna count the WE as like Harlies)). Heck, they even have some of the same story; the sundering for example: one incredibly advanced nation splitting, one to keep the ideals, the other to descend into darkness. The only thing that doesn't make sense is their interaction with one another. In WHF, High Elves HATE Dark Elves with a passion so great that there's a special rule for it in both army books! The weird part about WH40K, is that Eldar and Dark Eldar are close allies. Based on their past, to me it doesn't make sense for them to be allies, and then it makes even less sense when you juxtapose them with HE v.s. DE. Can someone set me straight?

Moved to background as it seemed more fitting - Cavash.
Back to top Go down
Archon Farath Mure
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Our links to the Druchii   Our links to the Druchii I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13 2013, 09:26

For one, this probably fits best in Background. But to answer your question, it actually does make sense. Druchii/Asur is different from Commorite/Craftworlder. While Dark Eldar and Craftworld Eldar share a mutual contempt, this is nothing compared to what the other races are like. Eldar of any breed consider themselves inherently superior to other species, possibly to a greater degree than Imperial humans faulty perception of themselves. So they're more interested in killing the upstarts than in killing each other. The fall of the Empire wasn't due to a civil war, unlike the Sundering. Dark Eldar and Craftworld Eldar are just branches derived from how Eldar survived the Fall. Both races have an important stake in the integrity of the Webway, so it makes sense that they'd cooperate in maintaining it. And most importantly, the Harlequins exist to act as, among other things, a means of easy and trusted communication between all Eldar, facilitating some cooperation.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Our links to the Druchii   Our links to the Druchii I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14 2013, 14:46

lets not confuse the ally matrix battle brothers for being buddy buddy. Eldar and Dark Eldar hate each others guts. Heck, some of DE tech *cough, bloodstone* is made from CWE tech (and some gruesome ones at that* But look at it this way, DE and CWE were fighting, and all of a sudden some stinking Monkeigh came down... who do you think they would kill first?
Back to top Go down
Anggul
Sybarite
Anggul

PostSubject: Re: Our links to the Druchii   Our links to the Druchii I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20 2013, 15:17

The only way the Dark Eldar are really similar to the Dark Elves is in terms of looks. The similarities are mostly just visual. Everything else about them is more like Skaven. Raiding from a labyrinthine network of tunnels that spreads across the setting taking slaves and plunder with scientist guys who create fancy magical objects and flesh-abominations, backstabbing society with everyone trying to get the upper hand on each other through sneaky and devious means.

Dark Elves on the other hand are very organised and regimented, and are generally very loyal. Vect rules by keeping everyone else down, whereas the Witch King is actually respected and followed because they want to. The only real similarities other than looks are the Corsairs who take slaves on their Black Arks and Executioners who are like Incubi. Contrary to immediate assumptions, Wyches aren't much like Witch Elves aside from how they look, and even then the 5th ed models don't look like them any more. Also they have a lot of dark magic going on, which is forbidden in Commoragh.
Back to top Go down
Shbur
Hellion
Shbur

PostSubject: Re: Our links to the Druchii   Our links to the Druchii I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24 2013, 06:27

While I do agree partially with the Skaven relation, the aesthetics, the aristocratic nature, the cruelty, of the Dark Eldar just screams Dark Elf! In regards to the Witch King reference, I'm not entirely sure of its' accuracy, but what I do know is what was written in the Malus Darkblade series which was normally discontent/mistrust for other nobles/highborns especially of the same bloodline.

Could we also say that the Exodites seem like the Wood Elves?
Back to top Go down
Anggul
Sybarite
Anggul

PostSubject: Re: Our links to the Druchii   Our links to the Druchii I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24 2013, 15:00

The aesthetics, yes. The Dark Eldar, however, are not aristocratic in the slightest. They were at first, but Vect's exact goal (which as we know he achieved spectacularly) was to remove aristocracy and the notion of nobles being in charge and having privilege. The Dark Eldar hierarchy is based upon who can beat who in wit, cunning and brutality, whereas although Nagaroth is for the most part a warrior society, it isn't based upon backstabbing and deceit, it's considerably more regimented and organised. The Dark Elves are cruel due to their hatred of the High Elves, and by extension anyone they help, which is most of the Old World. The Dark Eldar are just cruel to everything because they can and like to. Basically the Dark Elves have a reason, whereas the Dark Eldar just do it for the fun of it. It's mainly the aesthetics I think.

Even the High Elves and Craftworld Eldar are extremely different. The High Elves are beneficent and constantly trying to help the races of the Old World in the battle against evil. The Craftworld Eldar on the other hand, don't really care for any non-Eldar at all, and will gladly massacre a planet of humans if it keeps them safe. Teclis travels to the Empire and vanquishes foes for the good of all. Eldrad brought about the rise of Ghazkull Thraka, causing devastation on an immense scale and some of the largest wars in Imperial history, because if Thraka's contender had won out, he would have led his Waaagh! in the direction of Ulthwe. Not nearly as kind and helpful. Razz

The Exodites are certainly like the Wood Elves, especially when Biel-Tan are involved, as they are fiercely territorial much like the Wood Elves, and work hard to colonise more planets with Exodites.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Our links to the Druchii   Our links to the Druchii I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24 2013, 15:44

its funny as in playstyle, DE are closer to wood elves than dark elves, as they are always moving and going behind the enemy and what not.
Back to top Go down
Shbur
Hellion
Shbur

PostSubject: Re: Our links to the Druchii   Our links to the Druchii I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24 2013, 15:59

Alright, alright, I will concede this notion but never stop thinking it!
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Our links to the Druchii   Our links to the Druchii I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24 2013, 16:19

you dont have too. They have always hinted that the fantasy world is some random backwaters undiscovered world in the 40k universe (with the old ones basically being the same in both continuities, and the warp gates basically being colapsed webway portals) Heck, they even talk about the slaan in 40k (abeit in a much, much smaller role than in fantasy, as eldar took their place as the old ones defenders).

Also for what Sigmar did for the empire, some say he is one of the lost primarchs, or atleast like a child of a primarch (or maybe even a Sensei... and if you dont know what that is, look up the star child theory... its very interesting early fluff piece)

So basically you think what you want. Anything in 40k is possible
Back to top Go down
Anggul
Sybarite
Anggul

PostSubject: Re: Our links to the Druchii   Our links to the Druchii I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24 2013, 17:27

Also it says the greenskins were brought to the Old World on the Old One spaceships, so that's another thing. The main issue I can think of though is that in fantasy anyone can learn magic, whereas in 40k you have to have the mutation to be a psyker.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Our links to the Druchii   Our links to the Druchii I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24 2013, 18:57

the reason for magic is the pure warp flooding into the world from the polar gates (webway portals that colapsed) So I would expect that this constant and flucuating warp engery might cause a high mutation of psykers. Also they do say while you can learn magic, some are way better at it than others, and as we all know all races have psychic potential (expect for the stupid crons and their metal bodies)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Our links to the Druchii   Our links to the Druchii I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Our links to the Druchii
Page 1 of 1