THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

What kind of glues u guys use.

Go down 
+6
Massaen
Vasara
DominicJ
ravengoescaw
Baron Tordeck
Omnicide
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Omnicide
Hellion

What kind of glues u guys use. Empty
PostSubject: What kind of glues u guys use.   What kind of glues u guys use. I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07 2013, 01:58

Wow I feel really dumb asking this but my de just came in and it's been years since I have attempted to get into the hobby and I forgot how hard it is to glue these dang things together,

I've got citadel super glue and just some generic cyano something glue from the local hobby town and I figured since I ask about everything else here anyways I might as well ask about this too
Back to top Go down
Baron Tordeck
The Helfather
Baron Tordeck

PostSubject: Re: What kind of glues u guys use.   What kind of glues u guys use. I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07 2013, 02:12

I use either the GF9 superglue or the Zap A Gap brand of super glue along with their respective accelerators for all metal and resin (this includes the PP version of plastic). For normal plastics the GW version is ok but I prefer a different brand that the name of escapes me at this minute. But its a square bottle that has one corner cut off and out of it sticks a very thin metal applicator needle that has a screw on cap.

Forum Rules - Read and Obey - Or Else!
Back to top Go down
ravengoescaw
Heamonculi
ravengoescaw

PostSubject: Re: What kind of glues u guys use.   What kind of glues u guys use. I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07 2013, 08:39

I use gorilla brand super glue, it is a little more flexible after hardening which means arms and spiky bittz pop of less. And fairly low cost.

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12640-band-of-the-unbending-thorn#142250

Still fighting the world and saving damsels in distress. ~Raven
Back to top Go down
DominicJ
Wych

PostSubject: Re: What kind of glues u guys use.   What kind of glues u guys use. I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07 2013, 10:36

Thick plastic glue from gw.
Super glue just any cheap stuff from pound land

Vasara
Incognito assault marine
Vasara

PostSubject: Re: What kind of glues u guys use.   What kind of glues u guys use. I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07 2013, 11:21

I glued many of my raiders and venoms with one bottle of GW plastic glue. Now all of them fall apart. When I look at the glued surfaces the glue hasn't melted the plastic as it should do.

Now I need to repare all those vehicles before painting them. And they have remnants of the glue still in them so it is not easy to reglue them eather with plastic glue or super glue.

Previously GW plastic glue and loctite. -> still open. Perhaps Gale Force 9 glues.

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: What kind of glues u guys use.   What kind of glues u guys use. I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07 2013, 12:28

I know GW had a bad batch of plastic glue recently... I have seen a number of people locally complain of models falling apart. Take it back to your local GW and they should sort it

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
dokclaw
Slave

PostSubject: Re: What kind of glues u guys use.   What kind of glues u guys use. I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07 2013, 18:54

Humbrol plastic glue in a bottle with a needle applicator is incredibly useful! I'm also using P3 super glue, which has been pretty good. I don't think dollar store superglue cuts the mustard, to be honest...
Back to top Go down
Baron Tordeck
The Helfather
Baron Tordeck

PostSubject: Re: What kind of glues u guys use.   What kind of glues u guys use. I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07 2013, 21:46

Figured out the name. I use Model Masters plastic cement for plastic models.

Forum Rules - Read and Obey - Or Else!
Back to top Go down
ArchonJ
Slave
ArchonJ

PostSubject: Re: What kind of glues u guys use.   What kind of glues u guys use. I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 08 2013, 01:26

I use Plasti-zap from Zap-A-Gap. I like it, it holds well and there's alittle room to work with before it's fully set.
Back to top Go down
The Eye of Error
Dark Architect
The Eye of Error

PostSubject: Re: What kind of glues u guys use.   What kind of glues u guys use. I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 08 2013, 02:49

Gorilla glue gel with zip kicker is great for resin. For plastic I would recommend plastructs styrene weld or tenax 7R. Both are plastic welds and not glues. They are not sticky to the touch but melt the plastic together instead.

dokclaw
Slave

PostSubject: Re: What kind of glues u guys use.   What kind of glues u guys use. I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 08 2013, 14:24

Styrene weld sounds pretty good! I'd be afraid of mispositioning something though... Bad enought with plastic glue as it is!
Back to top Go down
The Eye of Error
Dark Architect
The Eye of Error

PostSubject: Re: What kind of glues u guys use.   What kind of glues u guys use. I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 08 2013, 14:41

This is the stuff, first item. Plastructs Weld Cement:

http://www.plastruct.com/pages/CementGuide.html

It's available at most hobby stores.

Omnicide
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: What kind of glues u guys use.   What kind of glues u guys use. I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09 2013, 01:45

thanks a lot everybody, was getting real frustrated, gonna have to try some of this out Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: What kind of glues u guys use.   What kind of glues u guys use. I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09 2013, 09:28

GW super and plastic glue are very expensive bad quality products from my experience. I use an ethyleneacetate (<- not sure if that's the correct translation) plastic glue from an independant hobby store and some super cheap super glue from the 1EUR store.

I have tested both GW equivalents and not only are they considerably more expensive, they also hold half the weight of the other glues at max. Best example is magnetizing, I couldn't get a single magnet in place without it ripping off when I tried to switch out the magnetized parts. I've also experienced issues with plastic-plastic bonds, they're not very strong and tend to fall off easily, while with regular plastic glue the pieces are molten so tight together it's hard to get them apart without breaking the piece.

Sorry for the rant here, but I feel people should be aware that only because it's a special GW product it's not necessarily better or good at all.
Back to top Go down
The Eye of Error
Dark Architect
The Eye of Error

PostSubject: Re: What kind of glues u guys use.   What kind of glues u guys use. I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09 2013, 12:40

Dogmar wrote:
GW super and plastic glue are very expensive bad quality products from my experience. I use an ethyleneacetate (<- not sure if that's the correct translation) plastic glue from an independant hobby store and some super cheap super glue from the 1EUR store.

I have tested both GW equivalents and not only are they considerably more expensive, they also hold half the weight of the other glues at max. Best example is magnetizing, I couldn't get a single magnet in place without it ripping off when I tried to switch out the magnetized parts. I've also experienced issues with plastic-plastic bonds, they're not very strong and tend to fall off easily, while with regular plastic glue the pieces are molten so tight together it's hard to get them apart without breaking the piece.

Sorry for the rant here, but I feel people should be aware that only because it's a special GW product it's not necessarily better or good at all.

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm just glad it wasn't me who did the rant here Smile

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What kind of glues u guys use.   What kind of glues u guys use. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What kind of glues u guys use.
Page 1 of 1