THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Are grotesques really that bad?

Go down 
+35
Sandy Death
Skyboard surfer
tlronin
craigyy
Tony Spectacular
bklooste
Archon Farath Mure
rotforge
Crazy_Ivan
Vasara
Skulnbonz
Mushkilla
doomseer11b
False Son
Brom
darthken239
Jehoel
facelessabsalom
DominicJ
Kinnay
wanderingblade
Patzerwv
Shadows Revenge
Count Adhemar
Timatron
Evil Space Elves
Cavalier
Seshiru
Siticus the Ancient
mug7703
sgb69
Darklight
Azdrubael
Bouree777
that 9uy
39 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
that 9uy
Hellion

Are grotesques really that bad? Empty
PostSubject: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 04:36

online i see alot about how grotesques are terrible. and i will admit they are expensive. but their stats make them look like they could do some work if used right. so are they really as bad as people say they are?
Back to top Go down
Bouree777
Slave
Bouree777

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 05:13

With a Rakarth buff they seems to hit a little harder, but in my opinion, they suffer the same response as when I look at Ogryns. A lot of things in the dex can do what they do for cheaper, points and monies! But all this is quite sad to me, because I think the models are fantastic Sad
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 06:01

Mandrakes are terrible. Grotesques are good, but very expensive.

Darklight
Sybarite
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 06:11

Azdrubael is correct, Grotesques problems are that tehy are in a slot with Trueborns, and even Incubis are a bit better. Its the options in the slot that makes them less usefull

sgb69
Kabalite Warrior
sgb69

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 06:35

The main problem I've had with them is that Grey Knights exist and tend to wipe the 3 to 4 grot squad in melee before a Grot can swing. Force weapons and all that.

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 07:35

For their points, they should have EW.
Back to top Go down
http://www.trevelyanharper.co.uk
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 09:20

I use them as a big brick to toss at the IG fortifications. It is a massive ball of hurt that darts into the most heavily fortified part of the enemy deployment, stays as near as possible and explodes there. Coupled with Urien and Lelith, it is a unit that can't really be ignored (and neither can its point cost!). I sometimes use them as an Archon delively system as well, for the times when I absolutely, positively want my tricked-out Archon in the enemy lines, racking up pain tokens and stealing souls. It's their always average T5, that makes them worth it for me, because they can soak up some punishment from a large part of the table, allowing the rest of the army (like, say, same ol' Trueborn) to move up relatively unmolested.

Seshiru
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 14:30

Grots are quite nice and you don't have to go crazy with them either.
In this edition cover saves are huge, look at the lame Harlie star people like to run, rush some grots with a liquifier and a hamey with a liquifier and most likely you'll turn that Death Star to goo.
Grey knights with force weapons kill all of our units, but their storm bolters are nasty to most of our units to, but grots have some defense there

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 19 2013, 05:48

i love trueborn as much as the next guy, but i was intrigued by the amount of umph grots seemed to have and figured i might pop them out of a wwp with some wracks and engines just to see what happened lol.
Back to top Go down
Cavalier
Wych
Cavalier

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 19 2013, 11:24

If you guys have seen Skari's most recent video battle reports (if you haven't check em out skaredcast youtube) he shreds with Urien+ Grotesques. They have the toughness and wounds to deal with overwatch, and tons of small arms fire should they lose their transport. I really like them. He's used them against all manner of opponents in friendly games/local tourneys and they looked pretty ferocious to me.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 19 2013, 14:59

I've had a ton of success taking them in the last ten or so games that I've played. They tend to make their points back every game while drawing a ton of fire from my other fragile troops' transports. They truly are a fun unit to use! I dropped my Ravagers for these games(replaced by Taloi) and haven't looked back Twisted Evil

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Timatron
Sybarite
Timatron

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 19 2013, 23:41

Grotesques are awesome, especially with an Aberration wielding the Scissorhands, whack them with Urien and they rock. So different from anything else in the codex and they have such fantastic background too. I have a list I use called Rakarth's Rampage, posted on the Army list section of this very forum, and yes Skari does own with his coven list.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20 2013, 09:12

Timatron wrote:
Grotesques are awesome, especially with an Aberration wielding the Scissorhands, whack them with Urien and they rock.

Personally I prefer the Flesh Gauntlet but either is pretty damn good.

Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20 2013, 14:01

@Adhemar why a flesh gauntlet??? your already S6 with FC (or urien upgrade) so you already ID most guard/eldar ICs... and I would suspect the extra attack is better against most MEQ. The only way I can see it being better is a challenge soaker from ICs for some combat archon... but normally you want them in the challenge to kill that IC quickly before he does damage...

really I feel its semantics tbh... but I would think that extra attack would normally be the better option. Atleast that is how I already ran mine...

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20 2013, 14:06

Maybe it's because I play against Wraiths and Paladins a lot but that ID is golden for me and worth more than an extra attack.

Timatron
Sybarite
Timatron

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21 2013, 00:45

Wraiths and Paladins deserve everything they get! Horrible things! I reckon the Flesh Gauntlet is an awesome tool for such a job. It really comes down to the points cost for me, but I'm generally stingy when it comes to upgrade characters wargear. I modeled my Aberration with the Ichor injector hand from the Talos, with the syringe cut off and more 'bobbly bits'. It looks suitable to be representative of quite a few of the special weapons so may try the old Fleshgauntlet sometime.
Back to top Go down
Patzerwv
Slave
Patzerwv

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeMon May 06 2013, 04:22

When my opponents see a 10 man squad of grotesques trudging across the table they tend to pour every shot they can into them. Urine is great to absorb a few blows and I like to keep Baron with them for a little cover and the PGL. With all of those shots bringing them down slowly I still (90% of the time) am able to get them into an assault and at least tie up a unit by the end of my 3rd turn. This pretty much means I just had 2 free turns of splinter cannon death and lancing to unleash. At the same time, when the grot pack is nearer to my shooting units very rarely do those pods come anywhere near them. An extra turn to shoot without harassment is premium to me. I plan to start toying with running an empty raider or two for cover in front. That should really spice things up .
Back to top Go down
wanderingblade
Kabalite Warrior
wanderingblade

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeMon May 06 2013, 06:14

Bouree777 wrote:
With a Rakarth buff they seems to hit a little harder, but in my opinion, they suffer the same response as when I look at Ogryns. A lot of things in the dex can do what they do for cheaper, points and monies! But all this is quite sad to me, because I think the models are fantastic Sad

I'm curious - what else do you think does the same job?

I've yet to use them, but I can see the logic and appeal in a unit that is genuinely tough enough to just tank small arms fire, that you can just chuck at the opposition lines safe in the knowledge it will usually take a very disproportionate amount of firepower to stop them being a threat - particularly if riding with a very powerful character. And I don't really see anything else in the codex that can do that, except maybe an appropriately kitted out Beastmaster squad.
Back to top Go down
Kinnay
Wych
Kinnay

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeMon May 06 2013, 08:15

Patzerwv wrote:
Urine is great to absorb a few blows

Gotta love this Typo. Razz

DominicJ
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeMon May 06 2013, 08:45

Regardng models / cost
I fluff mine as pit beasts from the wych arenas.
So I have, "Handlers", who are Deldar the haemonculi messed with so they can work in the pits and pit beasts, who are currently Tyranid Warriors with big guns (liquifiers) and shortly adding some Ravenors, and, after that, who knows.

Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeMon May 06 2013, 08:46

Kinnay wrote:
Patzerwv wrote:

Shocked I'll try that the next time in Aikido when I can't move off the line of attack fast enough Razz

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Patzerwv
Slave
Patzerwv

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeMon May 06 2013, 11:14

Kinnay wrote:
Patzerwv wrote:

Best part is that I always call him that. Nothing beats the look on my opponents face when I mention something like that in the same sentence with a liquifier to the face.
Back to top Go down
facelessabsalom
Wych
facelessabsalom

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeMon May 06 2013, 11:34

Patzerwv wrote:
Kinnay wrote:
Patzerwv wrote:

Best part is that I always call him that. Nothing beats the look on my opponents face when I mention something like that in the same sentence with a liquifier to the face.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Jehoel
Kabalite Warrior
Jehoel

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeMon May 06 2013, 16:27

Having only recently converted myself into owning 4 grotesques I have only been able to field them once.

I fielded 4 with a liquifier and an aberation with a scissorhand. They were followed by a haemonculus with a venom blade in a raider.

My opponent was my old tau nemesis. I am reallly satisfied about how they performed. He was unprepared for them and they added a new aspect to my army that was difficult for him to adapt to.

Their transport was quickly shot down. They then when to ground in the newly arrived crater. This (along with some lucky rolls on my part) made them withstand the barrage from his entire army. The following turn was like a kid in a candystore, and it was difficult to choose who I wanted to erradicate with all those S 6 attacks. Twisted Evil

They managed to down 2 hammerheads and a unit of pathfinders and they soaked up a great amount of firepower which meant a longer life for the rest of the army.

I usually loose big time to this guy and his tau. But this time it was a draw, and I owe a lot of that success to the grotesques. I will definatly give them another go next time.

The readiness is all: since no man has aught of what he leaves, what is't to leave betimes?

- Hamlet, Prince of Denmark

Kabal of Eternal Torment/Cult of Last Caress/Coven of Wasted Tears
Back to top Go down
darthken239
Kabalite Warrior
darthken239

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitimeTue May 07 2013, 14:38

yes the continued power struggle for that elite choice CC spot in the kabal its a trade off which way to go most times

my grots have performed extremely well. the lack of CC ap weapons is more than made up for by the amount of punishment they can take both from shooting and close combat.
and heaven help any light vehicle that gets to close to them
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are grotesques really that bad?   Are grotesques really that bad? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are grotesques really that bad?
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next