THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P) Empty
PostSubject: wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P)   wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P) I_icon_minitimeMon May 20 2013, 16:08

So... I don't like the resin/finecast wracks so I was thinking about getting Vampire Count Zombies because they look amazing and I think with some random bits I could make them look like wracks.

I don't know what I want my Grotesques to be yet but I've been thinking about Genestealers

I think my Haemy will be the original one (unless I find something to convert with it.)

And then the scourges will be scourges.

Talos will be either the talos or a Zombie Dragon/ Terrorgheist

and beast master will be the beast master and the creatures will all be random stuff I decide upon later. (beastmaster is my last importance other then the grotesques which I don't plan to use)
Back to top Go down
Ben_S
Sybarite

wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P) Empty
PostSubject: Re: wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P)   wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P) I_icon_minitimeMon May 20 2013, 17:55

You mean the GW Zombies? Are you sure you mean the Zombies? They must be about 15 years old and widely hated, largely for their HUGE hands. If you're going down the VC route, then I'm sure you could make Wracks from the Ghouls. Personally, I have some Empire Flagellants, which are a quite common fix.

Genestealers I don't think would be big enough for Grotesques. Tyranid Warriors maybe, but both have the problem that they look like something else from 40k - using Rat Ogres or Crypt Horrors is a safer bet.

A Talos based on the Zombie Dragon sounds cool though...
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P)   wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P) I_icon_minitimeMon May 20 2013, 18:49

alright, examined the VC a bit more, thanks Ben! Looked at the ghouls and they seem pretty cool, will use probably. those crypt horrors are perfect! will use if I play grotesques.

So here It is so far-

Wracks = Crypt Ghouls
Grotesques = Crypt Horrors
Talos = Zombie Dragons
Scourges = (I want something else from VC)
Haemonculi = Probably a Necromancer with some converting
Beastmaster = Kabalite Warrior on Fell Bat
Khymerae = Dire Wolves
Razorwing Flock = Bat Swarm

So.. this is so far Razz

Please do not use chat/leet speak. We encourage our members to use the English language to the best of their ability. Thanks - Cavash.
Back to top Go down
Khain mor
Sybarite
Khain mor

PostSubject: Re: wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P)   wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P) I_icon_minitimeMon May 20 2013, 21:22

I really don't get you and I disagree completely Zombies > Wracks? This is not a funny joke, wracks are a lot newer, by years. I don't know if you've seriously looked at the models, zombies are too old, the models need to be remake, the squality GW has been producing these past few years is completely something else, wracks and grots are the examples of this high quality.

You'll have to put a lot of greenstuff on the zombies to make them look better, they really don't look amazing at all, they're very old models. The current wracks are amazing, they're so detailed, they have the correct weapons too. Their weapons are so different and they offer great conversion possiblities.
Nobody uses zombies as wracks anymore, really nobody and I've never heard somebody say the wracks are ugly, before this thread. Zombies were a little better than the old wracks, but the current wracks > zombies> old wracks.

Genestealers as Grotesques? I'm 100% sure you've never seen the real models, otherwise you would know how big they are. They are talos body large, the heads can be exchanged easily, because they're that big. Talos weapons and arms are put on those for conversions because they have about the same size. Put a carapace on the back of a grotesque, convert it a liltte bit and you've got yourself a talos.
Genestealer are wrack size, not appropriate at all.

BTW on talos are hyrbrid combination of organic and mechanical parts, if you use a dragon I'm sure it will be 99% organical.

You have a lot of problems if you use vampire counts, even the poison blades on the wracks are well represented, upgrades for acothysts are difficult to get if you never by the models, same problems with talos and cronos.

Playing a Coven and not using grots is a big waste. The Covens have 5 main units (heamonculus, grots, wracks ,talos, cornos), it's a shame refusing to use one of the few choices you've got.

BTW dark eldar models are a lot better than the vampire count ones, they're newer as well.

if you want vampire counts that badly, why not simply play the fantasy army?

Back to top Go down
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254489
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P)   wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P) I_icon_minitimeMon May 20 2013, 22:35

i don't like fantasy, I hate finecast models ( I break them to easily Razz) and I would rather use the zombies because they wont crumble in my fingers, and I would rather enjoy using the zombie dragon with talos parts. and I don't like the grots much, and unlike a lot of people, I am WILLING to use some mandrakes Razz.
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P)   wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P) I_icon_minitimeMon May 20 2013, 23:27

Do whatever you want. Using lots of Vampire Counts models would make your army unique. The Grotesque model only comes in one position and they all look the same (quite dull) to me. I agree on the Genestealer point. Maybe Warriors or something bigger would be more appropriate.

You don't always have to stick to fluff reasons about the Talos being mechanical/organic to explain the rules. DE could steal stars at the height of their power. I'm sure that they can make a pretty darn tough organic thing if they wanted to.
Back to top Go down
Ben_S
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P)   wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P) I_icon_minitimeMon May 20 2013, 23:38

Both the Mandrakes and Wracks look great, but I'm with you on the Finecast thing - hence converting mine out of plastic too. Aside from what I said earlier, I'd say go for it: I think this could look really good.

If you want your Talos to look part-mechanical, you could try some of the CSM daemon engines - the zombie dragon apparently fits with helldrake parts very well (I've seen it used for Nurgle 'drakes on blogs).

The only other thing I'd say is that Beastmasters aren't really part of the Covens - not that this should stop you including them too.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P)   wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P) I_icon_minitimeTue May 21 2013, 06:16

oh, my beastmasters will be as coven looking as possible, and will use the talos tail on the dragon, although I want the wings to stay the same because they look amazing. And might instead of the talos tail will put the splinter cannons coming out from the center of its chest? idk, I plan to start this project in a couple of months after I get some of the models
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P)   wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P) I_icon_minitimeSat May 25 2013, 06:00

alright, thinking about getting 2 boxes of crypt horrors and a Necromancer/skull and changing out the head and arms with haemonculi stuff, also giving him 4 arms instead of 2.
Back to top Go down
Spiney Norman
Hellion
Spiney Norman

PostSubject: Re: wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P)   wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P) I_icon_minitimeSat May 25 2013, 07:45

While I agree that the GW zombies are some of the worst models still in their range, I might suggest Mantic zombies if you like the theme, they are slighter than the overweight, meat-fisted GW zombies, which would fit Eldar quite well, and are significantly cheaper than GW models.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P)   wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

wondering what to get for my beginning Coven (NO NAME but i can make one :P)
Page 1 of 1