THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?

Go down 
+31
darthken239
cammy
Barking Agatha
wanderingblade
Bibitybopitybacon
mikezealous
mug7703
Ciirian
Cavalier
HokutoAndy
shadowseercB
Rip
Bearded Dan
Chaeril
Shadows Revenge
Evil Space Elves
rotforge
Mr Believer
tlronin
Massaen
Gobsmakked
Cavash
Azdrubael
DominicJ
Venerate
The_Burning_Eye
Druchii
Mushkilla
Count Adhemar
MongooseDog
Creeping Dementia
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Barking Agatha
Wych
Barking Agatha

Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04 2013, 08:30

Does it seem to anyone that this was a very un-GW-like release? It generates excitement for current players who either already have an Eldar army or play other armies and might be thinking of starting one, but it does very little to draw new players into joining the hobby with Eldar. If I were thinking of starting a new Eldar army from scratch right now, I would be looking at an awful lot of Finecast troops instead of the much more convenient plastic sets, which is unattractive and a really difficult sell to a 13-year-old.

Maybe the Wraithknight is supposed to be the hook, but at the same price as the Battleforce a lot of parents are going to make it a choice of one or the other, and since you can't play with the WK alone, that leaves the battleforce, but as it was the WK that made them want Eldar in the first place, they will end up just getting the Tau Battleforce instead.

I'm sure there is solid reasoning behind it, but it just seems like a very different release for GW than their usual MO.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04 2013, 09:34

I agree. This is a very strange release by GW standards.

On the subject of the thread as a whole, I have to say that on reading through the codex (briefly - I only got it last night) I'm still unexcited. I will probably take a Spiritseer and 2 units of Wraithguard in Serpents as allies for my DE as they fill a role in my force that I feel is useful. I might possibly add a Crimson Hunter, which my Razorwing will make a lovely proxy for, as this will free up a valuable Heavy Support slot for another Ravager and provide decent AA cover. But there are very few units in the Eldar Codex that I am dying to play with and that's a shame with a new codex.

cammy
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04 2013, 20:10

Im quite dispapointed in the flyers tbh, i think they look to much like american fighter jets and less like the smooth sleek eldar design that i have com eto expect.
Back to top Go down
darthken239
Kabalite Warrior
darthken239

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05 2013, 08:34

the warpspider's got a nice boost though, could be good as allies to bring some bulk S6 hurt to light vehicles.

6+2d6 move, run, shoo,t then a 2d6 move away. they could almost keep up with us

im still disappointed that guardian's have the same stats as our kabalite warriors. this didn't make any sense at all to me
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05 2013, 09:31

darthken239 wrote:
the warpspider's got a nice boost though, could be good as allies to bring some bulk S6 hurt to light vehicles.

I'd be tempted to go for War Walkers if I want mass S6 shooting. Longer range, more shots, still very mobile and harder to kill. Not sure on points difference though as don't have codex to hand.

darthken239
Kabalite Warrior
darthken239

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06 2013, 02:21

yeah its a toss up between the spider's and the walker's, but just to add to the spiders if they hit anything without and I value the Strength goes up to 7 thanks the monofilment

as usual it comes down to a) do we go for longer ranger shooting or
b) closer range with some AP1 potential.
Back to top Go down
Ciirian
Sybarite
Ciirian

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06 2013, 03:11

I plan on picking up a codex, 2 units of Wraithguard (or 1 Wraithblade/1 Wraithguard im unsure) and possibly a Wraithknight to be used as allies for my current Dark Eldar army.
Back to top Go down
Black Death
Sybarite
Black Death

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07 2013, 08:42

I'm not disappointed by the book, yet. I have played 2 games so far and have to say, WOW! That being said, I started with Eldar almost 20 years ago and have waited, not patiently for this book. All the points I've read on this topic have a lot of validation and I agree with most of it. The one thing I am very happy with is the Crimson Hunters and after the games I played, using 2 of them, I am glad that we got them. My main worry is that when they release the next edition of 40k, is that the rules will hurt them as much as my DE and you gotta admit, it took a hard blow. Anyhow, it is going to take several games to fine tune a different list then we were all used to but I am happy for now. My biggest disappointment so far is my Dark Angels book, it suffers horribly comparatively. I hope that everyone enjoys the game either way, this being something I had to come back to after becoming way to competitive earlier this year. Now the game has become fun again for me and hope it stays this way for all.

I am also considering an allies list with DE, this is something I have not ever done or thought I would do, but maybe cause I miss my Reavers.

Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07 2013, 09:05

Black Death wrote:
My main worry is that when they release the next edition of 40k, is that the rules will hurt them as much as my DE and you gotta admit, it took a hard blow.

I don't get this.

DE got better in the transition from 5th to 6th. Rapid fire weapons can move and shoot at max range (massive boost to warriors), hull points (makes dealing with armour a lot easier for us), haywire (amazing for wyches), jink saves, night fight, AP2 lances (they are now strictly better than missile launchers), all our vehicles being even faster, the list goes on... Not to mention the general shift away from mechanised armies to infantry armies makes are mobility and poison weaponry that more effective.

Units that got better in 6th: Reavers, Ravagers, Raiders, Venoms, Warriors, Grotesques, Harlequins, Archons, Haemies, Succubus, Void Raven, Razorwing, Talos, Cronos, Haywire wyches.

Units that didn't really change in 6th: trueborn, wracks, scourge, beasts, incubi.

Units who got harder to use in 6th: assault wyches.

Army wide special rules that became relevant in 6th: Night Vision.

Mission changes in 6th that help us: kill points now only happens 1/6 of the time.

How is that a hard blow? Shocked

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Black Death
Sybarite
Black Death

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07 2013, 17:57

Well Mushkilla, the way I played them got interrupted, but now I may have figured out a few things. Which is good since I own so much of it. Think it was the FNP that got me plus the drop pod/dreadnought spam, losing a whole unit or 2 before even getting to play, as well as the helldrake, but that's my gaming group. Also, I ran a Hellion heavy army and shall try it again with all the new dex's coming out.

Wych
Calyptra

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07 2013, 21:21

As a rule, I do not buy new versions of models I already have. So if GW were to release all-new aspect warrior sets, for example, I would look at them and make ooh and aah noises, and then go back to playing with my Rogue Trader era aspect warriors, which are perfectly fine, thankyou very much. I have no idea how representative I am of GW's customer base, but convincing somebody to buy a new model when they already spent a lot of time and money on an older sculpt of the same model seems like a harder sell.

Now that the codex is actually out, are you disappointed guys still disappointed with it?

Back to top Go down
Bibitybopitybacon
Wych
Bibitybopitybacon

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07 2013, 21:32

I love the new dex! only thing I'm really bummed about is that they didn't move wraithlords to elite instead of keeping them in heavy. Heavy is always the first slot to go and there isn't much to recommend them over the amazingness that is the fire prism. Maybe the supplement will make my dreams come true?
Back to top Go down
Black Death
Sybarite
Black Death

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08 2013, 04:59

Here is a pic of my entire Eldar army set up on my 4x8 table. Only thing new that I got is the flyers and wraith blades.
Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 Eldarhost_zpse9db79df

This is over 18 years of collecting and I agree. I have all 3 banshee sculpts as well as reapers and well you get the picture.

Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08 2013, 06:11

That must have taken you a while to put away afterwards!

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Black Death
Sybarite
Black Death

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08 2013, 08:30

HAHA!! Yes it did. But I had to know what all I had so it was worth it and the verdict is, I have to much!!

Hellion
Rip

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08 2013, 13:28

Black Death wrote:
Here is a pic of my entire Eldar army set up on my 4x8 table. Only thing new that I got is the flyers and wraith blades.
Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 Eldarhost_zpse9db79df

This is over 18 years of collecting and I agree. I have all 3 banshee sculpts as well as reapers and well you get the picture.

I approve of this much Eldar in one place, on one table.

Kabal of the Poisoned Tongue / Cult of the Thirsting Blade / The Architects of Flesh
Zahr-Tann Craftworld
Sa'cea Sept
Back to top Go down
Black Death
Sybarite
Black Death

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08 2013, 16:48

Thanks Rip. My DE will cover about half of that.

Wych
shadowseercB

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08 2013, 18:20

Calyptra wrote:
As a rule, I do not buy new versions of models I already have. So if GW were to release all-new aspect warrior sets, for example, I would look at them and make ooh and aah noises, and then go back to playing with my Rogue Trader era aspect warriors, which are perfectly fine, thankyou very much. I have no idea how representative I am of GW's customer base, but convincing somebody to buy a new model when they already spent a lot of time and money on an older sculpt of the same model seems like a harder sell.

Now that the codex is actually out, are you disappointed guys still disappointed with it?

I support this, yet I am a very weak man.
Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych
Calyptra

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09 2013, 19:30

Of course, my propensity for using out of print, Rogue Trader era models means that sometimes when I play games, my toys are older than my opponent...

Back to top Go down
Black Death
Sybarite
Black Death

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09 2013, 22:53

HAHA, yup the same in my gaming group. I am glad, for once, that I already have all this and don't have to buy all new to play. Just the book and a few of the new models, presto.

Slave

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17 2013, 00:55

Hey BD you still selling you eldar army?
Back to top Go down
Black Death
Sybarite
Black Death

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17 2013, 03:50

Nope, never was, just put the pic up to show how much I have. Thanks for asking tho.

Slave

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17 2013, 09:18

Oh misread thanks for replying though.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17 2013, 09:29

Well, a few months down the line I'm still not mad about the new codex but will admit that it's better than I thought and that I was wrong about the Wave Serpent, which is indeed pretty awesome. I still don't really fancy a full Eldar army so I'm sticking with the Eldar as allies only and building up my Tau forces (oh so slowly!) as the Eldar can then ally with either army.

Vasara
Incognito assault marine
Vasara

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17 2013, 09:53

I'm beginning to like more and more the new book. It gives so much to my DE compared to the old Eldar Codex

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?   Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is anyone else really disappointed in the new Eldar release?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3