THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Can the Decapitator be legit?

Go down 
+3
Thor665
Mushkilla
holanes
7 posters
AuthorMessage
holanes
Slave
holanes

Can the Decapitator be legit? Empty
PostSubject: Can the Decapitator be legit?   Can the Decapitator be legit? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23 2013, 02:47

So he may be one of the worst characters in the book but I think that he could serve a purpose.  

As a tool for splitting the opponents force the decapitator may be a little piece of magic.  I'm thinking that you wave the model in front of your opponent, brag about how you converted it, talk up the 'hunter of heads' rule and tell him how this dude is going to wreck his HQ choice.  Then, when you deploy him stick him within range of something big and nasty and out of line of sight, more importantly somewhere where your opponent needs to move to go get him.  

The big idea here is that with the right tactics you may be able to get your opponent to split some part away from their main force and make them go after him.  

For 140 points though, I'm not sure that he has enough stomping power to make opponents regret it.  But maybe the disruption factor in the opponents battle plan can be worth the points.  

I guess as an alternative he could hunt backfield killers like Tau Broadsides or Devastator/Havoc squads as well...

Maybe worth a shot in non-competitive games anyway?  

Thoughts?  Positive experiences?

EDIT - Also, of course, I am considering converting a model to represent the Decapitator. I would however model him as some kind of renowned bounty hunter from the bowels of the dark city. Maybe using the Callidus assassin model?

Double-post merged.  Gob.
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Can the Decapitator be legit?   Can the Decapitator be legit? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23 2013, 07:50

holanes wrote:
 I'm thinking that you wave the model in front of your opponent, brag about how you converted it, talk up the 'hunter of heads' rule and tell him how this dude is going to wreck his HQ choice.  Then, when you deploy him stick him within range of something big and nasty and out of line of sight, more importantly somewhere where your opponent needs to move to go get him.

Your not going to catch a competent opponent off guard with that one. He'll just ask to see your codex and then start laughing. Tactics that depend on your opponents incompetences as a general are not normally very sound, unless you have a way of guaranteeing said incompetence.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Can the Decapitator be legit?   Can the Decapitator be legit? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23 2013, 08:25

Also, as I always say, if they'd fall for that - then you can probably beat them anyway, and if they don't fall for it, why waste the points on a useless distraction?

Back to top Go down
callofdoobie
Kabalite Warrior
callofdoobie

PostSubject: Re: Can the Decapitator be legit?   Can the Decapitator be legit? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23 2013, 12:19

I like the effort but no, give up on decrapitator till we get a new book lol.
Back to top Go down
holanes
Slave
holanes

PostSubject: Re: Can the Decapitator be legit?   Can the Decapitator be legit? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23 2013, 16:14

I'm not sensing a lot of positivity here...
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Can the Decapitator be legit?   Can the Decapitator be legit? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23 2013, 16:52

We are very positive.

Positive that he is not any good at all. Wink

But, seriously, look at his stat line (then, whatever you do, don't compare him to Marbo) and then ask yourself exactly what units he will be capable of defeating on the charge even presuming no one shoots at him (because if they shoot at him he's probably already dead).

I'll wait.
It's not a big list.

Then look at what he costs.
🤷

Back to top Go down
facelessabsalom
Wych
facelessabsalom

PostSubject: Re: Can the Decapitator be legit?   Can the Decapitator be legit? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23 2013, 18:23

I wouldn't waste too much effort/thought on killing him. If the decapitator just sits and hide, I'ld just shoot him with some spare shots and stay out of assault range. It's not like he's doing anything to earn his points by just camping out somewhere. And if he finally decides to move out, just pepper him down for the slay the warlord. One str 6 shot is enough to ignore his FNP and instakill him. I could also kite him.

I believe we've had many people trying to find a suitable place for him. But there is simply no place for him in the battlefield. Therefore, no positivity (other than what Thor said) about him or any tactics involving him.

edit: at least our less viable HQ that has no clear/good purpose other than manning turrets/gun emplacements does a good job with BS like 8 or even 9. And most of the time got grenades. And survives shooting better... And close combat.

Cult of Bladed Violet & Kabal of Violet Storm - DE army

The Ovatan Dynasty - Necron army

Last edited by facelessabsalom on Tue Jul 23 2013, 18:28; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Can the Decapitator be legit?   Can the Decapitator be legit? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23 2013, 18:26

Overwatch would probably silence him. Very Happy

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Can the Decapitator be legit?   Can the Decapitator be legit? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23 2013, 18:44

With 3 wounds and a 5++ he's probably going to survive Overwatch against any squad that isn't an Ork mob or Blobbed IG.

That said, he'd need to be cautious assaulting Sternguard, or even Trueborn or something of that ilk, just due to ID fears.

Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Can the Decapitator be legit?   Can the Decapitator be legit? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23 2013, 19:00

I think the only place for him is Apocalypse game. Where units are so large and so powerfull that wasting turn of fire to kill this frakker is a win in itself.

With all the added benefits of laughing with your friends as he go and try collect the skulls. It would be really epic if he will manage "Slay the Warmaster".

Somewhere i read the description of this guy and his worth, very accurate.

He is a winning sigar. You take him and show your enemy that you can really handle him even with this handicap.
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Can the Decapitator be legit?   Can the Decapitator be legit? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23 2013, 19:20

Thor665 wrote:
With 3 wounds and a 5++ he's probably going to survive Overwatch against any squad that isn't an Ork mob or Blobbed IG.

Not my ten man warrior squad, their overwatch took three wounds of mephiston, despite needing 6s to hit and him having a 2+ save. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Can the Decapitator be legit?   Can the Decapitator be legit? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23 2013, 21:48

I will go ahead and suggest that was an unusual occurrence Wink

Back to top Go down
holanes
Slave
holanes

PostSubject: Re: Can the Decapitator be legit?   Can the Decapitator be legit? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23 2013, 22:57

Very well. I am definitely going to take Decapitator whenever possible. Also updating profile pic.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Can the Decapitator be legit?   Can the Decapitator be legit? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 24 2013, 00:39

Good luck with that.

Back to top Go down
Skyboard surfer
Kabalite Warrior
Skyboard surfer

PostSubject: Re: Can the Decapitator be legit?   Can the Decapitator be legit? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 24 2013, 08:28

holanes wrote:
Very well.  I am definitely going to take Decapitator whenever possible.  Also updating profile pic.

To quote one of my favourite films:

"can't argue with a confident man"

I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

PostSubject: Re: Can the Decapitator be legit?   Can the Decapitator be legit? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can the Decapitator be legit?
Page 1 of 1