THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

The Raider Tank shock bisection tactic

Go down 
+3
psycheer
Mushkilla
Eldritchwarmaster84
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Eldritchwarmaster84
Kabalite Warrior
Eldritchwarmaster84

The Raider Tank shock bisection tactic Empty
PostSubject: The Raider Tank shock bisection tactic   The Raider Tank shock bisection tactic I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24 2013, 17:08

Heres what i got from dakkadakka

You have a Ork warboss in front of 30 ork boyz

In this formation

^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^*^^^^^
The star being the warboss
You take 2 raiders ( with shock prows if you want)
And tank shocks the left but not hitting the warboss

They are forced to to move back then do the same with the other raider on the other side and dont touch the warboss force them back 1 inch

It would look like this

^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
         ^^^^^
            ^^

Then have a CC unit nearby to charge the warboss , take minimal casualties
From OW and kill the warboss and consolidate without threat from the orks charging ya next ten since the raiders will block their movement

Please comment :)thanks

Think of the last illustration as a upside down pyramid formation

Excuse my lousy computer but by ten i mean turn lol

Three of your posts merged. A lot of your posts seem to be breaking the rules. We have been more than lenient with you so far. Please, in future use the edit function to add to a previous post. If you are having trouble with the forum or understanding the rules feel free to PM me or any member of the mod team directly – Cavash.
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: The Raider Tank shock bisection tactic   The Raider Tank shock bisection tactic I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24 2013, 17:35

You got this from DashOfPeppers 5th edition tactics thread I take it?

Sadly it's no where near as effective in 6th, as you can now only tank shock 12" (not 24" like in 5th edition), vehicles are also hit on 3s in close combat when they move (not 6s like in 5th). These two rules alone make it a lot harder and riskier to pull off.

A warboss would also have a 2+ look out sir, so could easily survive the wyches attack (by bouncin the wounds onto the boys with look out sir). Defeating the point of the tactic.
Back to top Go down
psycheer
Kabalite Warrior
psycheer

PostSubject: Re: The Raider Tank shock bisection tactic   The Raider Tank shock bisection tactic I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24 2013, 17:40

If i remember correctly this is an old trick from Dashofpepper from back in 5th edition.  I do not believe it will work in 6th because you will most likely get your vehicles killed by:

the massive amount of ork boys.
the warboss himself
the nob that has a PK

If you single out the warboss you can throw a ton of attacks into him, but with the challenge mechanic and/or Look Out Sir they'll mitigate a lot if not all of it.

.... mush beat me.

stupid mush!
Back to top Go down
Tiri Rana
Sybarite
Tiri Rana

PostSubject: Re: The Raider Tank shock bisection tactic   The Raider Tank shock bisection tactic I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25 2013, 03:30

I have three problems with this tactic.

1.: Who actually puts his models in a formation like this?
I've never before encountered such an orderly tight formation of Orks or any kind of Infantry. It doesn't have to be this perfect to work, but I'd not expect it to work all the time.

2.: Tank Shocks don't work that way, and no they didn't in 5th, either.
Only the models, that end up under the vehicle are moved away. So it's very unlikely to end up with a pyramid shape, because at a certain point it will be closer to move in front of the raider, than further back.
Additionally tank shocks are resolved, by pivoting on the spot and then moving straight forward, without any change of direction, so assuming, that your raider will just end up in the perfect position to pull this off is rather optimistic. With pre-measuring in 6th it became easier, but it's still unlikely, especially if one takes problem 3 into account.

3.: Tank Shocks changed in 6th edition.
First, as was already said, Tank Shocks are now only 12". So for this to work out you have to set this up, so that your two raiders are no more than 24" apart, which will leave them very close to the orks. Than you have to assume, that the ork player will walk his boyz directly between the two raiders, without moving towards one, because if the orks move to the left or right, one of your tank shocks will fall short.
If you counter that by setting up the raiders closer together chances are, that the orks will just assault one of the raiders, instead of moving in between.
Secondly, in 6th you can't come into contact with a friendly model anymore. You now always stop 1" apart. So the orks can still pile in through the gap, because they are allowed to came closer than 1" to enemy models. They can't come into contact, with units not locked in assault, but they may move past them, as long as their base fits through the gap, which 20mm bases will always do.

P.S.:
Eldritchwarmaster84 wrote:
You take 2 raiders ( with shock prows if you want)
No shock prow, no tank shock.
Back to top Go down
fuhrmaaj
Kabalite Warrior
fuhrmaaj

PostSubject: Re: The Raider Tank shock bisection tactic   The Raider Tank shock bisection tactic I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25 2013, 18:07

My favourite part is imagining you clacking the ^ key 30 times while counting to yourself Smile

Another thing in 6th edition: If the Warboss is actually at the front of the unit now, just position your Venom so that he is the closest model to it so that he gets removed first. Saves you a lot of pain with complicated tank shocks and return fire.

I had been thinking that the goal was to get the unit in a position where a Liquifier Gun would wipe out most of the units. Then you're assaulting him which I don't think is worth it in the long run. Just shoot the unit like you would normally do and it'll fold. If you charge the unit then overwatch is going to eat you up.
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: The Raider Tank shock bisection tactic   The Raider Tank shock bisection tactic I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26 2013, 15:57

Eldritchwarmaster84 wrote:

Then have a CC unit nearby to charge the warboss , take minimal casualties
From OW and kill the warboss and consolidate without threat from the orks charging ya next ten since the raiders will block their movement
"Minimal casualties from overwatch" and "thirty orks" don't really go together in my mind. I play orks, and even if this tactic could work, or you could somehow channel them into this formation with judicious terrain placement, thirty sluggas will still do plenty of damage. Thirty shootas will almost definitely make you fail your charge. Also, you throw in "and kill the warboss" as if that's a given. If he has the right gear, it's not. As others have said, the boss will challenge your squad leader if you don't challenge him, then you have to hit (most likely on a 4), wound (most likely on a 5 or 6) and hope he doesn't have an invulnerable save. Even if he's not in mega armour it's nowhere near guaranteed. Combat is exactly where the warboss wants to be - robbing him of a single bonus attack and furious charge is not going to help much when you're toughness 3 anyway.

Essentially, charging a warboss is a bit like trying to put a fire out with petrol.
Back to top Go down
Malevolent-Storm
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Raider Tank shock bisection tactic   The Raider Tank shock bisection tactic I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26 2013, 21:04

Tiri Rana wrote:
I have three problems with this tactic.

1.: Who actually puts his models in a formation like this?
I've never before encountered such an orderly tight formation of Orks or any kind of Infantry. It doesn't have to be this perfect to work, but I'd not expect it to work all the time.
It may not matter, but I have seen this kind of thing - twice. Once was a double line of 'Nyds screening the advance of bigger 'Nyds. The guy who did this was a decent player, so I assume ti worked often enough for him. The other was actually some Orks in an infantry army and for whatever reason, the player had them blocked up. He was newish and may have just transitioned from Fantasy or something. In both cases, it proved unhelpful for them. In the first case, it opened up the 'Nyds for a flank assault. In the second case, he got pounded by two TFCs. Anyway, my point is the formation can happen, but I agree with others that 6th Ed. nerfs the whole concept.

Dan
Back to top Go down
http://malevolent-dice.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Raider Tank shock bisection tactic   The Raider Tank shock bisection tactic I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Raider Tank shock bisection tactic
Page 1 of 1