THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabalite raiding force.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Nullus
Hellion

Kabalite raiding force. Empty
PostSubject: Kabalite raiding force.   Kabalite raiding force. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 29 2013, 14:03

Hello there. This is a log of my Dark Eldar army including tutorials on magnetizing and painting if anyone wishes so.
I started this army at the start of the year and it is a very slow process on the painting side of things so I', hoping that making a blog for the army will inspire me to do more over the next few months.

This is my second blog so sorry in advance if its a tad shabby. Also it likely to be rather slow as i won't have much time for hobby after the next month or so, however I will try to update at least once a week with progress.

Currently I have 10 Kabalite warriors and a talos pain engine fully painted and based and a long list of things that need painting.

I'll post pictures of the warriors later today but the talos is currently in my local store on display so pictures of that will be posted when I go in store next.

Thanks for reading and I hope to you the coming posts.
Back to top Go down
Nullus
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite raiding force.   Kabalite raiding force. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 01 2013, 18:46

So as you can tell there are still currently no pictures on here, sorry about that. I've had a crazy few days with having to help sort out a wedding and work but ill try to upload a few pictures soon.
Back to top Go down
Nullus
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite raiding force.   Kabalite raiding force. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 02 2013, 19:00

So finally after a manic few days I've managed to snap a few photos of my first fully painted unit.

Sorry they aren't great, my camera is pretty poor and so is the lighting. Hopefully I'll be getting a new one fairly soon but that all depends on funds.

So without further delay here are some photos.

Kabalite raiding force. <a href=Kabalite raiding force. DSCN0545_zps490b9114" />
Kabalite raiding force. <a href=Kabalite raiding force. 4406d9f5-ebb2-491f-a603-efa5826e6fa3_zpsc3c64577" />
Kabalite raiding force. <a href=Kabalite raiding force. 09997494-661a-49cf-9f69-31954fd6a4a8_zps4f5926d9" />

Hopefully I'll get a bit more painting done of some men over this week but I'm a bit of a slow painter.

I'll also try to upload some photos of my talos pain engine in a few days as well.

Thanks for reading, comments and criticisms are welcome Smile
Back to top Go down
fuhrmaaj
Kabalite Warrior
fuhrmaaj

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite raiding force.   Kabalite raiding force. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05 2013, 03:43

I really like your Warriors! The flesh on your Splinter Cannon dude is really well done.

It is hard to see what's going on. I'm not a photographer and maybe someone could provide better advice than I could. It looks like you've got a window in the background? That white light would probably be really useful lighting, I think you could take advantage of it by taking pictures on the other side of the table.

models---------you---------light

Just try not to stand in the way of the light if you can.

Also, how did you do the bases? Have you got a name for your Kabal yet?
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite raiding force.   Kabalite raiding force. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05 2013, 04:31

Those warriors are very impressive! I really like how you did the guns, really makes them stick out from the blue armour. The flesh is great as well, however, do you think it's possible that we might see some art on that banner?
Back to top Go down
Nullus
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite raiding force.   Kabalite raiding force. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05 2013, 13:23

Thank you very much for the comments.

The pictures aren't great I know but I don't really have anywhere to take decent photos in my house.

The bases are resin slate bases from 616 designs on ebay and are absolutely fantastic casts. I'll do a painting tutorial on them when I get a chance to paint up some more. Hopefully by the end of the week.

Also I don't have a name for them yet. Haven't found the right inspiration. Need to read the black library books. They normally help.

The banner is the only thing I have left to do. I'm undecided on what's going on there yet but when I get it finished I'll post pictures. It'll probably have to wait until I finish their raider and decide from there as the art work on the raider will match the unit.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite raiding force.   Kabalite raiding force. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05 2013, 17:43

Black Library Kabal :Por Blue People Kabal. THE SHOOTY POISON KABAL!

and the pictures are alright ( I can't get much better then yours)
Back to top Go down
Nullus
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite raiding force.   Kabalite raiding force. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 07 2013, 15:21

I like the shooty poison kabal but for the moment I'm still undecided on the name.

So a quick update for now, I've started to build my unit of scourges (I have 10 to build but think i'll just do the first 5 for now) and after successfully magnetizing the arms of one I've hit a bit of a snag with the wings. I'm trying to find a way of pinning them for easy transport until i sort out a proper case for the unit as well as it being easier to paint. So my question is does anyone have any tips for the wings or have seen a tutorial for them online? If so a comment or link would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading and I'll post some pictures later depending on the progress of them.

EDIT: So I decided to just take the plunge with the wings and try and pin them in the easiest place and it seems to have worked for this guy. Let me know what you think and if you have seen any other people do a similar thing please let me know as I'd like to see how others have done this.

Kabalite raiding force. <a href=Kabalite raiding force. E3230ad1-6736-4627-ab37-ba94b0d3a99f_zps16e08d1e" />Kabalite raiding force. <a href=Kabalite raiding force. 9ebdc2ac-a1b0-45c7-9a98-e752d1191f0f_zpsfa887713" />Kabalite raiding force. <a href=Kabalite raiding force. C99bf0e8-3b45-4cc7-bf1e-9ff77366c6dc_zps49dd76f1" />

Also just as a note. These models are awesome, they go together so well and the overall aesthetic of the unit is great.
Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite raiding force.   Kabalite raiding force. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08 2013, 16:03

Hey nullus. Your stuff is looking good so far. I think the de range has some of the best models out in the gw range and the scourges are probably among the best. The last photos you done of the scourges are much better than your first ones. A few tips for you when taking photos. A Piece of a4 plain paper as backing and a couple of lamps (with daylight bulbs if poss) to provide light will really improve matters when taking your photos, especially when taking photos of painted minis. This is the way I take my photos as I dont have access to a light box or anything and it works pretty well. Hope that helps some Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
facelessabsalom
Wych
facelessabsalom

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite raiding force.   Kabalite raiding force. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 09 2013, 11:13

Things are looking good here, blue dirty armor and pale skin! I like!

I just wanted to point out that your posts with image links look strange. A few pictures might be missing in your posts because stuff went wrong when typing/pasting the codes. I get a bit suspicious when I see: " /> here and there.
Back to top Go down
Nullus
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite raiding force.   Kabalite raiding force. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 09 2013, 21:26

@spellcheck2001: Thanks for the comment and advise. The scourges are on paper but I'll try using paper for backing as well when I photograph my talos. Also the pictures should be a much higher quality now as I have a new camera so hopefully I can have a good play with that and all the new shiny settings on it.

@facelessabsalom: Thank you. I have no idea why "/> is at the end of the images. It just keeps coming up and isn't put in the link for the image. There aren't any pictures missing but thank you for raising the point.
(Also , I really like the scheme you chose for your necrons, I may have to a similar scheme when I actually get round to starting an army. I have a few currently and I've worked out a lot of lists for them but don't really have the funds yet)
Back to top Go down
Nullus
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite raiding force.   Kabalite raiding force. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 10 2013, 14:28

EDIT: This is a rather long post but please read it as you go as it explains some of my thoughts behind the model and painting it.

So after a good old play with my new camera I decided to take some pictures of my talos and upload them.
Kabalite raiding force. 33dec037-1cd0-4fbb-ac7f-82f6820dccba_zps2126675d
The scheme for this army took a long time for me to choose. I knew I wanted a rather bright colour that was a bit battered and worn, with a really pallid, purplely flesh tone and a really bright glossy spot colour (being the yellow, this features more on the talos and on my wracks (not yet finished) than it does on my warriors)
Kabalite raiding force. SAM_0217_zpsdc938301Kabalite raiding force. SAM_0218_zps1e73d762Kabalite raiding force. SAM_0211_zps969a4fbe
For me the skin is the nicest bit of this model. I love painting flesh and muscles and so put a lot of time and effort into the torso of the model which I think is the best painted part as well. The only down side to this is that you don't really see it when the model is on its base, but at least I know its there.

Speaking of the base, here's a picture of this guys one
Kabalite raiding force. SAM_0215_zps8ee2eb64
The style of basing took me a long time to decide as I needed something that complimented the model and had a lot of detail so as it didn't just get lost on the model but not too much to detract from it. Originally I thought I'd make some, that's what I normally do as I enjoy it and it adds so much more originality to the model if you make your own bases for them. Then I realized just how many I'd need and how much effort and time it would take me so decided to go down the route of resin bases for the first time. After finding the perfect bases for me I went about painting them and had a lot of different test bases on the go but finally decided to go with this scheme. I'll put up a tutorial when I get round to painting some more bases.

Lastly here's a photo of the back of the model. The free hand is pretty poor but I'll be the first to admit I'm not very good when it comes to free hand unless it is straight lines. However saying that I am happy with this as it was a first attempt done at about 2 in the morning so i didn't have high expectations any way.

Kabalite raiding force. SAM_0212_zpsc1789de4

Thanks very much for taking a look and reading. All comments and criticisms are welcome as always.
Back to top Go down
facelessabsalom
Wych
facelessabsalom

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite raiding force.   Kabalite raiding force. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 10 2013, 16:25

Nice talos, I can see the colors and details more clear on the hull of it. It is a good job!

As for my necrons, I'm glad you like the colors. Feel free to use it and if you need the recipe just ask away. On second thought, I should add the colors and recipes in the thread.
Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite raiding force.   Kabalite raiding force. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 10 2013, 17:28

Great model and nice colour scheme. Love the work you have done on the flesh (Photos are much improved btw).
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
Nullus
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite raiding force.   Kabalite raiding force. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12 2013, 20:00

Thanks for the comments guys.

Managed to pretty much finish building, pinning and magnetizing my 5 man scourge unit and my ravager today. Both of which were promptly used in a game this afternoon against a deep strike guard army. The result was a crushing victory for me as I tabled my opponent in turn three. The man of the match was a lone scourge who charged a 10 strong unit of guardsmen and killed the sargent in a challenge preceding to over run the rest of the unit and sit happy on my opponents home objective.

Hopefully I'll get a bit of painting done tomorrow so I'll upload some WIP shots as and when.

Thanks for reading.
Back to top Go down
Nullus
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite raiding force.   Kabalite raiding force. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 15 2013, 21:11

So after spending the last few days being rather ill there hasn't really been much progress on my dark eldar so there isn't anything finished or done much at all. However, I did get my first air brush yesterday and so after having a little play with it on a spare SM rhino (everyone seems to have one) I spent a few hours today giving it a little test on a razorwing jerfighter and a venom I came up with this.

The pictures are a bit dark as I didn't want to use too much outside light so you can actually see what is highlights and shading with the paint not the light, and even then there is still a lot of extra shadow and highlights from the light source (if that makes any sense at all).

Kabalite raiding force. SAM_0227_zps80076438Kabalite raiding force. SAM_0225_zps129ef590Kabalite raiding force. SAM_0222_zps0796e6baKabalite raiding force. SAM_0221_zps0d06f513

I'm pretty happy with the result although they aren't good for the amount of time I spent on them its all about the practice which is why I chose these models to test on. Also if after a while of using an airbrush I'm still rubbish I'll just use it for base coating as it has a fantastically smooth finish which is just a hassle to get with a brush.

Thanks for reading and if you have any tips with using an airbrush I'd love to hear them.
Back to top Go down
Nullus
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite raiding force.   Kabalite raiding force. I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 23 2014, 23:48

So after a very long time I've finally started painting my DE again. It's been ages since I've done any painting at all really due to tournaments, uni work and life in general so I've spent today putting pigment to plastic.

Here is what I've managed to get done in the day.
Kabalite raiding force. SAM_1717_zpsc6068ec1
Kabalite raiding force. SAM_1719_zpsdf7816e3
Kabalite raiding force. SAM_1720_zps32ff58c7
Kabalite raiding force. SAM_1721_zps6e34d5dd

So the wracks got a relatively quick paint job as I'm not a massive fan of the models (although they are growing on me) and I really just wanted them done so they would stop looking at me in a state of half painted hatred.

Kabalite raiding force. SAM_1723_zps711c337a
Kabalite raiding force. SAM_1725_zpsa51d3124
Kabalite raiding force. SAM_1727_zps57f1fa9b

So this my first attempt at heat stain on the engines. I don't think its too bad but the silver defiantly needs to be brighter to begin with in order for the colour gradients to show up better with less wash.

Kabalite raiding force. SAM_1730_zps5bebd0a8
Kabalite raiding force. SAM_1732_zps1dd771c3

Again, this was another quite quick paint job as a bit of a test vehicle paint scheme and style but I'm pleased with the result (the missiles still need to be magnetized and painted).

Finally here is a WIP Haemonculus I made a few months ago. The main reason for the conversion (be it a very simple one) is that I really don't like the original pose as it looks too much like he's trying to hug someone.

Kabalite raiding force. SAM_1734_zps4e3a6e77
Kabalite raiding force. SAM_1735_zps094cfa99

As always comments and criticisms please. I should be getting some more stuff done and uploaded in the next few weeks if all goes to plan and I hope you've enjoyed the update.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite raiding force.   Kabalite raiding force. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabalite raiding force.
Page 1 of 1