THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Using raiders

Go down 
+7
Vasara
Brom
Crisis_Vyper
doomseer11b
Nullus
Unholyllama
django_unchained
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Brom
Wych

Using raiders - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using raiders   Using raiders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 06 2014, 01:46

theredone wrote:
^^^ dont think you can disembark the turn you deepstrike? the vehicle counts as moving at cruizing speed.

speaking of which, keep in mind this means you can only snapfire the turn you arrive from DS.
Negative on both. Actually a deep striking unit simply counts as moving while a DSing vehicle counts as having moved at cruising speed.. This is a noteworthly distinction as it means embarked units can disembark and then either run (into cover) or shoot (snapfiring heavy weapons etc).
The vehicle, in our case a fast skimmer can shoot at full capacity.
What this means is that there are certain situations where the dukes low orbit raid is pure gold for flipping an alpha strike back, especially if you've also rolled conquerer of cities warlord trait during hammer and anvil deployment vs a mechanized gunline. Yea its rather rare for all these planets to align but it happens and the duke is the only way for DE units to deep strike, disembark and shoot at full capacity. Try it sometime..

Edit- if it helps to clarify consider that a drop pod follows all the same rules as any other deep strike transport. It simply counts as having sustained an immobilized result upon landing. With the help of the duke our skimmers would be superior if it werent for DPA and inertial guidance.

Edit Edit- the biggest issue I had was determining the reserve count so its good to clear that up ahead of time. i.e. does a unit and its dedicated trans count as 1 or 2? pg 124 can be interpreted both ways. Anyway some more food for thought.
Back to top Go down
Athalkar
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Using raiders   Using raiders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 06 2014, 02:34

Its been interesting reading. I just wanted to clarify on one little point which might cause confusion.

The duke gives the vehicles the BRB deep strike rule, ergo, Brom is absolutely correct in that units can disembark after deep striking.

However, the retrofire upgrade does the the same thing except that it also explicitly states that the unit inside may not disembark.

Back to top Go down
theredone
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Using raiders   Using raiders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 06 2014, 05:23

thanks brom, ill have to re-read that one. i always read it as the vehicles are cruizing speed the effects of such are passed onto the passengers, ie they cant dissembark and can only fire snapshots. deffinatley worth a re-read though
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Using raiders   Using raiders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 06 2014, 09:12

Brom wrote:
Edit Edit- the biggest issue I had was determining the reserve count so its good to clear that up ahead of time. i.e. does a unit and its dedicated trans count as 1 or 2? pg 124 can be interpreted both ways.

Not sure where the discrepancy is on that one. Page 124 seems pretty clear on that issue:

Quote :
A unit and its Dedicated Transport are counted as a single unit for these purposes.

Brom
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Using raiders   Using raiders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 06 2014, 20:19

Away from my rulebook but the main problem I had was regarding dedicated transports that MUST start in reserve followed by wording that says "for these purposes" the unit and it's transport count as one (slightly paraphrased but you get the idea).. basically implying that the unit and dedicated transport only count as one in those specified instances. That said I believe I had a discussion on this and most people didn't read that much into it so maybe it's mostly a non issue.
Back to top Go down
Snakeman
Slave

PostSubject: What about as an assault platform for HayWitches?   Using raiders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07 2014, 08:05

Slightly off topic I know since you run a shooty list, but witches are our most effective anti tank when you absolutely have to make sure that vehicle MUST DIE.

I've used them in two games like this and so far they have a 100% success rate of ruining my opponents plans Smile

So far I have used raiders as the delivery platform since they are slightly more survivable and can take more than 5 bodies (I run 6). Sure, they all die as soon as they have done their job, but they achieve two important things for me: they become target priority no 1 for my opponent leaving the ravegers un-ravaged, and secondly they wreak a nasty enemy vehicle that could further mess with my fragile ranged anti tank ravegers.

For me the key to victory is all about achieving dominance in heavy ranged firepower and this tactic hels to achieve that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using raiders   Using raiders - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Using raiders
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2