THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Scourges

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

Scourges Empty
PostSubject: Scourges   Scourges I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28 2014, 05:41

So I have read a couple of the Other posts about scourges and such but I wanted some input on my AT in general. For the sake of discussion the size of the army is irrelevant I want to talk more about pros, cons and strategy. So here goes.

I will be running a venom spam list (I have previously made a post more about army list, not that important). This will obviously be my AI. I want to be able to run 3 4x blasterborn in venoms with haemons and hexrifles in each. I have 2 ravagers and a Razorwing. My fast attack would be compiled of 2 scourge squads and 4 beastmasters with 20 khymaera and baron. As far as AT goes I think the 2 ravagers the scourges (might DS) and the Razorwing will do a pretty decent job of this. The rest of the troops would be Warriors in venoms. I play lots of tournaments and for the time being allying Eldar or Corsairs is not in the cards (however I want to run jetseerbeaststarfun or corsair ally for their awesome units). Do I have enough AT in the army as is? However wychs in venoms?

The Warriors will float about poisoning things as they do.

The ravagers and razorwing follow the same pattern, just generally being awesome.

The trueborn will be wreaking havoc with their FNP and added Hexrifle goodness.

The beaststar will be all up in their business, Baron will make sure of that.

And the scourges will more than likely deep-strike and pop whatever they need to, or they can start on the table this is purely situational.

I know that adding some razorwings to the beastpack will help in AT roles (I just haven't found a proxy that I like enough to add them to my army)

Would it be beneficial to have wyches in venom/raiders? or am i sitting in a good place. I would prefer to have as many venoms as possible, but convince me otherwise. Again I play tournaments but I play every weekend with friends also. Thanks in advance!!

-Rumble

Hekatrix
Zenotaph

Scourges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scourges   Scourges I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28 2014, 11:44

Hm, as I understand it, you want your scourges in a multi-purpose role.
Kinda like a Jack of all trades. Is that correct?

Sybarite
Its_Rumble

Scourges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scourges   Scourges I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28 2014, 15:32

Not a jack of all trades, purely AT roles. Sorry I wasn't clear enough, I'm looking for insight on the list. Given what I have are the two ravagers the razorwing and two scourge squads enough dedicated anti tank. Or should I really look into some wyches in venoms or raiders.

Hekatrix
Zenotaph

Scourges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scourges   Scourges I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28 2014, 15:39

Here in Germany? Pure overkill. Don't know why, but there are not much vehicles on our tables.
Overall? I dare to say, it should be quite sufficient. Maybe you could even use one squad scourges for AI.

Sybarite
Its_Rumble

Scourges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scourges   Scourges I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28 2014, 19:25

Yea this is true, although point for point i would rather have the trueborn in venoms before i use scourges for AI. My meta is pretty up there in terms of competitiveness. I played a game last month (1850) against Blood angels with 3 storm ravens and 2 storm talons, against my tau. I beat him but barely and it was a slug fest lots of fun (i'm good friends with the other player which makes it enjoyable). Against most players i'm probably facing minimum of 3-4 AV targets in games around 1500.

I really just want to make sure that scourges are in fact effective and I am not wasting my time with this list.

Wych
Laughingcarp

Scourges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scourges   Scourges I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28 2014, 20:37

I've used Scourges to absolutely devastating effect. The one thing I'd say you have to decide between is HWG, or Heat Lance?
For starting on the table, with 12" movement HWGs give you a 36" threat bubble. Use them in conjunction with your Ravager to strip off the last couple HP from whatever your Ravager fired at.

But what I find to be more effective (yet also less survivable) is using Heat Lances via Deep Strike. Since they've got a 9" melta range they're much more forgiving than Melta Guns when Deep Striking. You've got wiggle room to place your scourges wherever they feel safest while still being within range-o-doom. Yes they're only S6 melta, but because they're lance you're averaging a 13 pen vs AV 12. No problems.

Host of Shattered Purity - Chaos Daemons
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

Scourges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scourges   Scourges I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28 2014, 23:21

Very good advice thank you. I really love the models and the fluff behind them and with the ability to deepstrike I am very excited to use them. I had originally thought i would go HWG with them but like I said the situation will dictate that. Do you feel that the list I have presented has enough AT dedication though? I am not worried so much about the AI because of venom spam. I just want to make sure that my thought process is validated in building this list.

Hekatrix
Zenotaph

Scourges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scourges   Scourges I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29 2014, 20:44

Its_Rumble wrote:
I really just want to make sure that scourges are in fact effective and I am not wasting my time with this list.

Is it wasting time, when you are experimenting with your hobby? I got a package of scourges and I can barely wait to use them.
Well, when they are finished painting and modelling...

Anyways, I think, Scourges are effektive. Assault 3 is their standard, along with a 4+ Armor roll and 12" movement.
Doesn't sound so bad, does it? And they aren't equipped yet. So, tell me, who wouldn't want to use them?

Wych
Laughingcarp

Scourges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scourges   Scourges I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29 2014, 21:57

3x4 blasterborn with pain tokens, 2 ravagers, a razorwing, and 2 squads of scourges? Should be plenty! Have you considered running one scourge squad with Haywire, and one with Heat Lances?
Firstly, that way you can test both to your heart's content simultaneously. Secondly, nothing is stopping you from changing one out to the other after you've determined which is more effective given your play style.

Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

Scourges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scourges   Scourges I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29 2014, 22:29

Zenotaph wrote:
Its_Rumble wrote:

Is it wasting time, when you are experimenting with your hobby? I got a package of scourges and I can barely wait to use them.
Well, when they are finished painting and modelling...

Anyways, I think, Scourges are effektive. Assault 3 is their standard, along with a 4+  Armor roll and 12" movement.
Doesn't sound so bad, does it? And they aren't equipped yet. So, tell me, who wouldn't want to use them?

I guess I should have made myself clearer then. I will be buying my playable army in bulk at one time in the next month or two, which is why I want to make it as competitive as possible right off the bat, so I am just solidifying my reasoning. However I do plan to eventually purchase much more of the DE those will be as I am able. Because after the initial purchase it will be a much longer endeavor I want to make the best decision I am able to!

And Mr. Carp, I probably will run HWG on them however I know the benefits of both options once I am able to play test the scourges I will find out which is best for me. I just want to make sure I have sound reasoning going into the purchase of my first 2k points. I don't want to purchase something with 2k in mind and find out its not as good as I expected and have to reinvest in something to be competitive. Once I have my initial army I will start buying whatever I want to as I see fit for fun.

Wych
Laughingcarp

Scourges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scourges   Scourges I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29 2014, 23:10

Gotcha, sounds like you've got this all figured out. Good for you!
When I first got into 40K with my CSM, I always fielded a Raptor Melta-drop suicide squad. They served me without fail ~90% of my games.
With Scourges, you've got more options and more reliability in the form of starting-on-the-board-24"-Haywire, or 9" Melta, not to mention their Shardcarbines.
Plus, they're gorgeous models.
Do what you've gotta do knowing that I heartily condone and endorse their use!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Scourges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scourges   Scourges I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scourges
Page 1 of 1