THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabal of the Obsidian Rose

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rakenior
Slave
Rakenior

Kabal of the Obsidian Rose Empty
PostSubject: Kabal of the Obsidian Rose   Kabal of the Obsidian Rose I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 23 2014, 23:40

Greetings Fellow Archons,

Having been flitting about in a few "new player" related threads discussing my recent involvement in the Dark Eldar. A very helpful Kabalite by the name of Panic_Puppet dropped a quick list that incorporates every model I recently acquired into a neat a tidy 1000 point army. In an effort not to derail the threads I was partaking in I thought it appropriate to open up my own thread about that particular list and any further lists that may yet evolve.

The idea is that this will be an on-going thread detailing my experiences with various lists.

My first purchases were 2 x DE Battleforce, 2 x DE Venom, 1 x DE Raider. Giving me a total of 3 x Raiders, 2 x Venoms, 20 x Wyches, 20 x Kabalite Warriors, 6 x Reaver Jetbikes

So without further ado I bring you the first list, all thanks to Panic_Puppet.

HQ

Succubus with Agnoiser (85pts)

Troops

9 x Wyches; Haywire Grenades, Hekatrix w/ Venom blade in Raider (183pts)

5 x Wyches; Haywire Grenades in Venom w/ Dual Splinter Cannon (125pts)

5 x Wyches; Haywire Grenades in Venom w/ Dual Splinter Cannon (125pts)

10 x Kabalite Warriors; in Raider w/ Splinter Racks (160pts)

10 x Kabalite Warriors; in Raider w/ Splinter Racks (160pts)

Fast Attack

6 x Reaver Jetbikes; 2 x Blasters (162pts)

= 1000 pts

The only real weakness is a lack of anti-air but I think that's a fairly widespread problem with the current DE codex. I'm not too worried at this points level - it shouldn't make too much difference unless I end up playing some really skewed lists.

I look forward to reading your feedback and any suggestions you may have.

Yours sincerely,

Rakenior
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Obsidian Rose   Kabal of the Obsidian Rose I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 12 2014, 11:51

This list looks pretty good - I myself have come to favour Venoms for my anti infantry firepower as they're a bit more cost effective than rack Raiders, though they are less durable (as are the occupants). I just find it useful to have lots of small units flitting about for my opponent to try and keep track of. They're also better at firing on the move. I also favour heat lances over blasters on the Reavers. I'm sure somebody on here has done the maths, and I think if you can get them into melta range (not much of a problem for them) they do better than blasters. However, blasters give you a nice cushion, meaning you have another 9" effective range - great for getting back behind cover using your assault move. It's definitely a safer way to use them, which should keep them in the fight a little longer.

I'll be interested to see how your Succubus does, I've always found her to be too fragile on the rare occasions when I've used her, and she's currently languishing in my bits box, ready to be re-purposed if she doesn't pull something out of the bag next time... I think part of the problem is that she is harder to protect than an Archon, having no access to protective fields, and my opponents shoot her down before she makes it to their front lines. In fact, they go after her more rapidly than they do my Archon when I field him. Although it's tempting to field her in a thematic unit of wyches, you might find they just bounce of whatever you throw them at (unless your intention is to tarpit with them). The Haywire grenades will be splitting the purpose of the unit too, as she's best suited to mincing infantry. It's difficult to decide whether they should have them or not, as you don't want the Succubus piling into tanks, but equally well you don't want a unit that deals with tanks well to not be able to at all. That amount in a unit when you already have two haywire toting squads is probably overkill against pretty much anything though. I'd advise trying them with and without and seeing what works best - you don't want your Succubus missing out on combat based fun Smile Bloodbrides are still quite a fluffy option, and could get a barnstorming number of attacks (especially with three sets of Hydra Gauntlets rolling hot). Incubi are also a pretty solid choice to accompany her, though her lack of a phantasm grenade launcher might spell trouble for them. Of course, she should take out a fair bit of stuff by herself, meaning not as much will hit them back if they did charge through cover. Grotesques seem to be a popular choice, but I would wait and see if we get a plastic kit for them. I presume the main reason the Succubus is there is as a cost effective but still quite killy HQ, so she's a good choice for this. At low point levels I prefer Haemonculi, as their pain token can be really useful to help a squad hang on that little bit longer. The Succubus, used right, can be a very competitive option in lower point games (1000 or less), and maybe even in higher ones. But I would say she's the hardest one to use right. With the new rules for challenges, she should do better now, with all those excess attacks spilling over into the squad.

Most importantly, don't rush out and buy anything new until the new codex drops. You wouldn't want a load of useless guys sat around on your shelf if they get nerfed horibly!
Back to top Go down
alexwellace
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Obsidian Rose   Kabal of the Obsidian Rose I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 13 2014, 15:38

I am on your side with the Succubus, i think she is an amazing unit to boost a Wych unit from a non-threat to a real one. My only quarrel would be her choice of Weapon, with an Agoniser i find her to expensive, because she will only be killing 2 3+ things a turn, no matter what. I much prefer the Power Lance, because she has so many ways to sneakily boost her strength that usually the charge is all you need. Combat Drugs, Furious Charge and Power Lance can rocket her up to strength 6, although more likely you are only going to be +1 strength plus whatever Drugs you roll. Either way, pack her up with a Power Lance and a Venom Blade (In case the battle lasts more then 1 turn) for STILL 5pts cheaper then the Agoniser for a model with much better coverage. On a modelling note, there are lots of lovely spears in the Dark Eldar range, my Succubus used the Scourges Solarite one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Obsidian Rose   Kabal of the Obsidian Rose I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabal of the Obsidian Rose
Page 1 of 1