THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
flakmonkey
Sybarite
flakmonkey

Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour Empty
PostSubject: Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour   Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02 2014, 05:54

Good afternoon Commorragh!

I'm in the process of painting up some Dark Reapers for my Eldar allied detachment. My problem, however is  I've only used 3 colours across my eldar (Purple, Bone and Grey)((Actually, some weapons may have silver/gold))
So I've already used those 3 colours on my Dark Reapers, but I'm just not sure what'd look best for their hair- more purple? more grey? Something else entirely?

I've included most of my eldar models in the attached photo, to give a "feel" for the style. And a unfinished haemonculus in the back so you know I'm not all pansy.

Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour <a href=Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour Img_1810" />

Any opinions are appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour   Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02 2014, 09:12

Really depends on whether you want a complementary or contrasting colour. Personally I'd go for maybe a green?

flakmonkey
Sybarite
flakmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour   Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02 2014, 10:55

Definetly contrasting colour. I think they may be a but dull. The colour could also be used on the autarchs helmet plume.
Green is an interesting suggestion, Count Adhemar. Any particular green?

"Whereas the duty of the Imperial Commander is either to seize or defend territory, the Dark Eldar make war only to steal. If, as a by-product of this, the are able to indulge their vile passion for murder, torture and other decadent acts, then they will joyfully do so, but this is not their primary goal"
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour   Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02 2014, 11:04

Maybe something like GW Moot Green?

flakmonkey
Sybarite
flakmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour   Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02 2014, 11:16

I looked at moot green, I actually like it.
My normal painting method is base, ink, highlight or two.
So looking at the GW chart, I could use Warboss Green, then green ink of some type and then highlight with the moot.
Reckon that'll work? Happy for suggestions for base/highlight.

"Whereas the duty of the Imperial Commander is either to seize or defend territory, the Dark Eldar make war only to steal. If, as a by-product of this, the are able to indulge their vile passion for murder, torture and other decadent acts, then they will joyfully do so, but this is not their primary goal"
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour   Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02 2014, 11:21

Warboss/Ink/Moot sounds good to me. I think that's pretty much what I used for the hair on my Kabalites.

Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour P1000353

flakmonkey
Sybarite
flakmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour   Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02 2014, 11:39

The kabalites look cool. I'll pick up some paint tomorrow, and get to work
What green is on the splinter rifles? Good colour for Agonizer/ electro whip.

Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour   Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02 2014, 11:46

Actually, looking at them again I think the rifles are Warboss/Moot Green and the hair is Kabalite/Warboss Green.

flakmonkey
Sybarite
flakmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour   Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02 2014, 11:53

Ahhh.
I have some darker green (Caliban Green) and some Elysian Green and Loren Forest, but they were for IG, so lack the brightness of what may or may not be the Moot Green.
Those colours, plus the moot/warboss should give me plenty of base/highlighting options.
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour   Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03 2014, 03:53

A blue would go really well with those colors and will add some pop. However if you are going for a triangle color theory then grey would be the choice.

Sybarite
flakmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour   Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03 2014, 09:36

Thanks Adhemar and Rumble for your input. I think a bright colour is preferable to more grey. I painted a Reaper in both blue(same paint style as my Wych Cult) and green(Moot/Warboss green), so you can see how they came up. What do you all think? My wife reckons the green.
(My painting ability is average)

Also, my Succubus' Agonizers will definitely be moot green, as well as my other poison weapons.  
Again, a Haemonculus has made an apperance, to confirm my fealty to the Dark City.

[img]Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour Img_1812[/img]
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour   Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03 2014, 10:22

The green definitely stands out more but the blue seems to fit better with the model. At the end of the day, it's personal preference as they're both nice.

Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour   Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03 2014, 14:11

Sorry for chiming in this late Very Happy I like the green version of the two you have done better. However the color directly opposite of purple on the color wheel is orange, so that might be a nice idea to try as well.
Back to top Go down
flakmonkey
Sybarite
flakmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour   Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04 2014, 07:45

I've gone with the green, again thanks to people for your input. I really like this green colour, I'll definitely be using it more. I know painting is a personal preference, but I was really stuck and curious to hear others suggestions.
Dogmar, my kabalite forces are all red ink and red highlight, so I'm a bit sick of painting in the red spectrum. But thanks for the suggestion.

Here's the Reapers and Autarch, with their pretty new hair. And a Talos to keep them honest.
(I think I'm also a average photographer as well as painter)

[img]Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour Img_1813[/img]
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

PostSubject: Re: Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour   Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04 2014, 09:30

I personally really like your painting and wish I could paint that well! At least average+ if not higher I says I do!!

Great stuff and think the green was the best route to go down Smile

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
it's the Starsky and Hutch venom! but I'm kinda ok with that
Back to top Go down
flakmonkey
Sybarite
flakmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour   Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04 2014, 10:23

Cheers. That's a generous compliment.
I can't help but notice your own green highlighted warriors. Biased? Smile

Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

PostSubject: Re: Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour   Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04 2014, 11:25

Only a little bias! I can't help how awesome green is. And thats a fact. Smile

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
it's the Starsky and Hutch venom! but I'm kinda ok with that
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour   Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 05 2014, 04:14

It looks good but now they look like joker reapers. Which is cool!

Sybarite
flakmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour   Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 05 2014, 07:47

Its_Rumble wrote:
It looks good but now they look like joker reapers. Which is cool!

"You wanna know how I got this Reaper launcher...."

Glad you like.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour   Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dark Reaper Topknot/ponytail thingy colour
Page 1 of 1