THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

The Value of the Codex

Go down 
+20
Zenotaph
Azdrubael
Massaen
Talos
Selvhan
John M
Foostickens
Aeterna
Thor665
clively
Grub
Anggul
Klaivex Charondyr
lelith
Count Adhemar
Mr Believer
Black Death
Calyptra
aurynn
Blank05
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Foostickens
Slave

The Value of the Codex - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25 2014, 20:36

Ill be getting the Archon edition.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25 2014, 20:39

I think the main draw, for me, is the objective tokens. I wish they were people instead of yellow, but they still look cool... Ugh, this shouldn't be so hard lol
Back to top Go down
Grub
Wych
Grub

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25 2014, 21:11

Any of you generous yanks want to stick up a link to where all these objective markers etc can be found?

A very slow, 30K Salamander Distraction Log: VULKAN LIVES
Back to top Go down
Blank05
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 26 2014, 01:55

http://grotorderly.blogspot.com/2014/09/white-dwarf-35-przecieki-leaks.html?m=1

This is the best link that I've found
Back to top Go down
Grub
Wych
Grub

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 26 2014, 07:33

Thank you, looks interesting

Back to top Go down
John M
Kabalite Warrior
John M

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27 2014, 20:13

Grub wrote:
God imagine if the arcane wargear stayed as useless as ever and you bought a coven supplement just for that!

you leave the one use only collection alone lol!
Back to top Go down
Selvhan
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28 2014, 06:23

Normal codex for me but I will read it before buying it.

GW recently released the inquisition book ( was in the grey knights codex before ) and it's exactly the same, word for word. My friend was happy to read it before buying it.

As for the new models, I will wait until I know if they worth it.
Back to top Go down
Talos
Kabalite Warrior
Talos

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28 2014, 07:02

Normal edition + cards for this Archon
Back to top Go down
http://www.olasart.se
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28 2014, 07:57

I grabbed the archon edition. I normally don't do limited editions but here in Aus, the codex, supplement and painting guide are $220 combined. Through in the data cards and tokens plus the hard slip case for $50 and it's not a bad buy to me. The eldar one was just terrible - twice the price for a fancy cover. I can justify the $50 here for the ease of play the cards and tokens provide

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28 2014, 10:48

After what im hearing about the codex im really glad i didnt order any edition. Will see when it will release. If it will be even slightly playabe, il buy e-book edition.

Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28 2014, 11:16

Thor665 wrote:
Put me down for the normal edition. Unless the objective markers are hand carved from bone I suspect I'll be able to convert something I like better Wink
I'm going with Thor on this one. I got tons of skulls and thorns in my bitzbox,
so why should I pay for something I can manage on my own.

What I really want to see, ok, it's a bit off topic, is a plastic kit with all the stuff,
I need, to equip my army properly. Demiglaive, Djinnblade, Animus Vitae. The lots.
Not that I need them, but it would be nice to have them.

Wych
Painjunky

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28 2014, 22:49

I'm not buying the dex because rules wise it looks horrible!

If this changes I will pick one up but at the moment I just can't give GW $1 for this soggy mess!
Back to top Go down
John M
Kabalite Warrior
John M

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28 2014, 22:51

Painjunky wrote:

If this changes I will pick one up but at the moment I just can't give GW $1 for this soggy mess!

oh snap

I think I'll be holding off until I get a more detailed view of what is in the codex and supplements.
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2014, 01:45

Painjunky wrote:

I don't get this at all - you would rather not use the potentially thousands of dollars of models you own then buy the new book because it's not exactly what you want?!? are you going to sell the army instead? I have seen 7 editions of the game and have my fair share of unusable conversions or even genuine models so I get the frustration but not updating the rules for you own army only impacts you

Painjunky
Wych
Painjunky

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2014, 08:08

Massaen wrote:
Painjunky wrote:

I don't get this at all - you would rather not use the potentially thousands of dollars of models you own then buy the new book because it's not exactly what you want?!? are you going to sell the army instead? I have seen 7 editions of the game and have my fair share of unusable conversions or even genuine models so I get the frustration but not updating the rules for you own army only impacts you

No Massaen my copy will be arriving soon so I can look if over and play with it.
As I said i will only pay GW when and if I feel its worth it.
Back to top Go down
notts
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2014, 09:21

Massaen, if the codex is as bad as rumours look, not only won't I be buying it, I'll be finished with gw. They ruined my other army (empire) too, and every 7th ed codex looks boring.
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2014, 10:02

Painjunky wrote:
Massaen wrote:
Painjunky wrote:

No Massaen my copy will be arriving soon so I can look if over and play with it.
As I said i will only pay GW when and if I feel its worth it.

So GW will be getting cash for it in some way then. While you may not be paying for it - someone is.

@notts - that's your call and your choice. I get that you might feel that way. I think getting all worked up about rumours is just silly until we see the book. Even then - I would say that getting upset shows what the game actually means to you and that maybe everyone should take a breath and remember why you play in the first place. If winning is the reason you play then I would suggest taking a long hard look at yourself - winning is not everything.

As for me - my copy got posted today and should it arrive early I will be happy to answer questions

Grub
Wych
Grub

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2014, 10:04

I would hold on. Give it a month and  there will be a new surge of tacticas and battle reports on this site to help get everyone winning again. When 6th edition came about, everything changed for us, people were despairing. A few weeks later, we were back. This looks like it could be a tough challenge granted. But there will always be a way. I wouldn't sell up and forget about DE yet!

These codex rumours are effectively demonstrating what a torment grenade launcher does.

Back to top Go down
notts
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2014, 10:11

Massaen, I did say “if” Wink
GW have been losing customers for a while, for a LOT of reasons.
I’ll simply be the next in a long and ever growing line. I’m already supremely fed up by people telling me the current codex isn’t that bad if you use eldar. I don’t want to use eldar, and yes it is that bad.

An unusable (no, not win every game. unusable) or boring Deldar codex would just be the final straw.
Bladevane nerf is just hilarious. "oh noes, reavers were so op! better nerf them"

Plastic wracks which are the same as the failcast but more expensive were the penultimate straw.
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2014, 10:25

Fairly sure the wracks are the same price - if not cheaper - than the fine cast ones, will have far less miscast issues, more options and even supply extras for your vehicles... Not sure how you got to your conclusion

And while GW has made some questionable decisions towards its market, the Internet players are a fraction of the total pool - we are just the most vocal in our circles is all.

The current codex is pretty good for me - I have won a couple of events with pure DE so again, yrmv to mine but the current book works ok for me. Yes the new one might be different but I would (and do!) expect it to be just as interesting - what key things can we do in the current dex that you are worried might be removed? Honestly, apart from blade vanes I can't think of anything that might be a worry in regards to boring... And if that's the deal,breaker for you then so be it - it's not for me at all. I just have to adapt

Hijallo
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2014, 10:26

We weren't exactly "back".

In 5E, we were fully able to beat the crap out of any army, including cheese GK, IG and Necrons. It wasn't easy, but hey, neither it was for them to beat us.

In 6E, we've suffered significantly, especially after Tau, SM and Eldar came out. Well, the second comeback was as a support army for Eldar - which caused our re-release and nerfs, because Eldar are OP as is.

And we'll most likely stand that way - allied detachment for CWE will be the best use for DE rules, and proxying some warlike craftworld will be the best use for DE models. Especially with that precision deepstrikes.
Back to top Go down
notts
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2014, 10:41

Massaen wrote:
Fairly sure the wracks are the same price - if not cheaper - than the fine cast ones, will have far less miscast issues, more options and even supply extras for your vehicles... Not sure how you got to your conclusion

And while GW has made some questionable decisions towards its market, the Internet players are a fraction of the total pool - we are just the most vocal in our circles is all.

The current codex is pretty good for me - I have won a couple of events with pure DE so again, yrmv to mine but the current book works ok for me. Yes the new one might be different but I would (and do!) expect it to be just as interesting - what key things can we do in the current dex that you are worried might be removed? Honestly, apart from blade vanes I can't think of anything that might be a worry in regards to boring... And if that's the deal,breaker for you then so be it - it's not for me at all. I just have to adapt

They're more expensive than failcast, when moving to a cheaper medium. dont really gaf about "supply extras for my vehicles". £4 for a 10 pt core model, in plastic, is a frak joke.

It’s nothing to do with “internet players being a fraction of the pool”- go and check GW financial reports if you think they aren’t haemorrhaging money.
7th ed is a rushed cash grab absolute fail and every codex released for it is a boring joke.

More power to you for winning events. Tournament showings worldwide indicate the current book is a joke. baron and 5 kabalites are the only things which show up.

what hasn't been removed?
Beast packs were a problem due to eldar and baron. So they remove baron and nerf the beastpack themselves. it's just lol.

I've just read a bunch more rumours and they solidify my stance. waiting to read the real book, of course, but I think by this stage the rumours are normally pretty solid.

"eldar are op. LETS NERF DELDAR"
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2014, 10:47

I just don't get all the pessimistic comments like this - we are perfectly capable of playing solo

Anggul
Sybarite
Anggul

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2014, 10:50

Massaen wrote:
@notts - that's your call and your choice. I get that you might feel that way. I think getting all worked up about rumours is just silly until we see the book. Even then - I would say that getting upset shows what the game actually means to you and that maybe everyone should take a breath and remember why you play in the first place. If winning is the reason you play then I would suggest taking a long hard look at yourself - winning is not everything.

It isn't about winning. It's about the rules doing a good job of reflecting the backstory in an immersive and entertaining manner, while also making a good game of it between both players.

If the rules are un-fluffy and weak, those cool units we love aren't going to be doing the cool things they do in the backstory, they're going to be floundering and dying as we play the 'take your army off of the table' game. Not much fun really.

Even if the codex turns out to be strong, if the rules don't reflect the backstory it's a failure.

The latest Tyranid codex was disappointing in that it didn't really address many problems and even created a couple of new ones. This one (if the rumours are to be believed) sounds much worse. It sounds like it's actively being made worse.

"Oh how awful, did he at least die painlessly? To shreds you say? Well, how's his Dracon holding up? To shreds you say? Very well then... Sad, sad, terrible gruesome news about my colleague Archon Mhu'bhutu." - 'The Feather', Dracon of the Bladed Lotus
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2014, 10:54

The only games I ever play like that are vs IG parking lots - that's not in their fluff! It's op!!! See how silly that sounds?? I doubt any of the changes will make the army unfluffy or weak - anymore than anyone else in the 40k range.

It's about the social contract between you and the opponent as to what you get out of the game. The rules don't set this for you.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Value of the Codex   The Value of the Codex - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Value of the Codex
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next