THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst

Go down 
+3
quark!
Cavalier
Shbur
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Shbur
Hellion
Shbur

Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst Empty
PostSubject: Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst   Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11 2015, 16:22

Hey Dark City!

This forum has contributed so much to my strategic understanding of the Dark Eldar and I need to pay that back in the only way that I know how: by sharing the process of painting my dark eldar army. I wanted to get ahead of the game before starting this log, so the following photos are what I have currently done with my army. I will be developing the back story as I grow my Kabal, Cult, and Coven, so hopefully you guys enjoy that too.

Background: My Dark Eldar exceed in narcissism more-so than their other brethren. They are so self absorbed that they overestimated the power of their technology. They stole a sun from a nearby solar system with the intent of harnessing its power. The Haemonculi were sure of their capabilities. Unfortunately, the power of the sun spun out of control, ravaging their sub realm destroying the majority of it (you can imagine the power of the sun in something as small as a sub realm). Out of these ashes arises my army: The Kabal of the Withering Sun, the Barren Cult, and the Coven of the Unending Thirst. The idea is that my army is rebuilding itself back up to its former glory. They brandish yellow armor to be better camouflaged in their new desert climate. The scheme needs to be sharp and clean, because everything is new in development. Although this was an incredibly humbling act (they made a fool of themselves in front of all the sub realms) some of their self love still exists. The higher ranking officials will not wear headgear, because they don't fear the sand storms damage, and will wear white, non-camouflaged armor because they don't need the advantage of stealth.

Hope you guys enjoy!

First installment : Barren Cult Reaver Squad 1

Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst QZkgVA1
Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst ZhVY5jF
Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst Q47rGuX
Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst 6nxnIqM
Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst NjSJURc
Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst BcWLBzt
Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst 3Ltjw6N
Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst C9lHmqu
Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst TNPadlr
Back to top Go down
Shbur
Hellion
Shbur

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst   Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11 2015, 16:27

Second Installment: Kabal of the Withering Sun Warrior Squad 1

Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst AKpqR5k
Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst 1um28oU
Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst Oai8pFm
Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst VMRaphq
Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst TKBICZp
Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst 6K8LInt

Status Photo
Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst DCWrY7X

Lots to go..

Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst RY4GI8t
Back to top Go down
Shbur
Hellion
Shbur

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst   Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11 2015, 16:31

Third Installment: The Coven of the Unending Thirst Talos Pain Engine

Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst 7bnd03g
Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst ZyraMiW
Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst SBgsG4X
Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst Z5uS09v
Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst MGAc4Ql
Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst E3CWATL

WIP Photo Album: https://imgur.com/a/w0OvY

Status Photo
Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst B77AOMs
There was a buzzing; a whirring. The warriors looked about confusedly and the reavers became protective of their jetbikes. The sound was familiar to them, but what followed shouldn't still be alive after the sun's wrath. It wasn't the demon of old that haunted their dreams, it was fresh. Necrotoxin flowing throw its veins, blade still fresh from its last slaughter. The haemonculi must of needed this prisoner for experiments and they called upon their most trusted servant to retrieve it: the Talos Pain Engine.
Back to top Go down
Cavalier
Wych
Cavalier

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst   Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11 2015, 16:56

Gorgeous as hell. Love the pale yellow... super clean work here my man. Absolutely love this army keep up the great work.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst   Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 12 2015, 01:05

Absolutely fantastic.
Back to top Go down
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst   Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 12 2015, 08:21

How are you so good at yellow. Just. How dare you.

Shbur
Hellion
Shbur

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst   Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 12 2015, 21:26

@Cavalier Thanks, mate! Seeing your mixture of Deldar and HE made me want to mix my Deldar with some egyptian lore...who knows..there's still time!

@quark! Thank you kindly, sir.

@thesaltedwound I am more than willing to describe my yellowy ways.

Wych
Cavalier

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst   Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 13 2015, 11:24

Do it! I've seen an entire Egytian Eldar army on Warseer (buried in the back pages of the project logs) which the guy actually sold. He had eagle heads on his Wraithguard and Lords and the whole deal. It was insanely cool... and he never even played it! Just a little touch of that here and there would look great with your army. Good luck going forward!

Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst   Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 13 2015, 12:25

Bravo sir. YOur work looks very lovely.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst   Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 13 2015, 12:40

Especially for the Kabby armour, if you please! It's so spookily natural-looking.

Shbur
Hellion
Shbur

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst   Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 13 2015, 18:14

@Squidmaster Thanks!

I believe the yellow is done in the same way on the Talos Pain Engine as on the Warriors. The Reavers were a bit more experimental, was working with glazes and more line highlights but decided it was too much effort for not enough gain. So my final scheme came to:

1. Airbrush basecoat with averland sunset over black undercoat (experimenting with white undercoat)
2. Paint seraphim sepia into the recesses, not all over the model.
3. Clean up your shade lines with some averland sunset
4. line highlight with flash gitz yellow
5. thinner line highlight and more towards the corner with 50/50 flash gitz yellow and screaming skull
6. even thinner line highlight of screaming skull right where edges meet.

It's not necessarily about the paint itself but more how I apply it. The airbrush really allows me to get a basecoat that is much more even that I would ever be able to get with a brush. I am personally not the best base coater, but I feel that my detail work is OK. I really am trying to learn my fundamentals again and learn to base coat better. Not really a fan of air brushing but it produces the best results for me right now.

Sybarite
Plastikente

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst   Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24 2015, 10:14

Late to join the discussion - I've been offline for a while.

Great work with the yellow - you've got a fantastic smooth finish. And very neat highlights. The whole colour scheme contrasts wonderfully with the splashes of blood Smile

Project Log: Kabal of the Bloodspray Corsairs
Flickr: jjtweed's Photostream
Back to top Go down
Paland
Slave
Paland

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst   Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 06 2015, 13:58

Nice work. I really like your yellow. Might steal it Smile

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst   Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabal of the Withering Sun - Barren Cult - Coven of the Unending Thirst
Page 1 of 1