THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

40k 8th Edition confirmed

Go down 
+18
Count Adhemar
Massaen
Anarchistscourge
Azdrubael
The Strange Dark One
Kantalla
megatrons2nd
Cherrycoke
Marrath
TeenageAngst
BetrayTheWorld
Calyptra
spellcheck2001
Devilogical
CurstAlchemist
krayd
Imateria
Squidmaster
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TeenageAngst
Incubi
TeenageAngst

40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 23 2017, 17:42

I hope Dark Eldar are made ludicrously overpowered in this edition to make up for the fact Ynnari exist.

Flawless pieces of literary perfection:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2805979/
Back to top Go down
The Strange Dark One
Wych
The Strange Dark One

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 23 2017, 17:49

Nothing surprising, but it is very refreshing to see that GW is fully aware of the situation they are currently in. The way they answered certainly is a nice touch against people who are afraid of GW killing the franchise at any given moment.

Honestly, I hope GW is planning a complete rework of the way they deliver rules. For a decently balanced game at least all unit stats need to be made public and be unbound from faction specific codices. Not only could you inform yourself in detail about other factions if the rules were on the web, but GW could actually perform balancing in a way that could even work.

Codices can still serve as campaign books centered around a specific army that also includes backstory to the faction as a whole and all individual units. I mean, they kinda already did that with the Gathering Storm books and I hope they will continue the trend.

But I guess that will keep being a dream. I guess we will see soon enough.

TeenageAngst wrote:
I hope Dark Eldar are made ludicrously overpowered in this edition to make up for the fact Ynnari exist.

I'm sure that will be the case.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 23 2017, 18:37

I wonder if all the formations will be part of Narrative play and matched play will be something more strict, with some control over power creep.

TeenageAngst
Incubi
TeenageAngst

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 23 2017, 20:55

Quote :
The way they answered certainly is a nice touch against people who are afraid of GW killing the franchise at any given moment.

These are the same people responsible for AoS and the terrible launch of shadowrun. Don't give them any slack.

Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych
Calyptra

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 23 2017, 21:21

I'm not prepared to even speculate on what the new edition will be like. It is apparently going to incorporate elements of both 2nd ed and Age of Sigmar. I've played both of these games, and I think they are nothing alike. So the 8th version of 40k may be similar to one with some rule mechanics from the other, or it may be a different best entirely. All-new, all-different 40k.

Not to let my art school education show, but I think viewing 40k as a modernist progression is a mistake. That's the attitude that later editions are better than earlier ones, and that all of this is an ongoing effort to get the game "right." The release of new editions and adjusting of rules is all part of a linear progression towards a theoretical best version.

If they couldn't get the game "right" with 7 editions, why would you think they'll get there with 8?

But I've seen nothing to indicate that's what they're even trying to do. I don't think they just don't care, but I do think they make a lot of changes simply for the sake of making changes, and there's a good reason for doing that:

People want new and different stuff, and they want it all the time. No matter how good or how fun a game is, if it's not currently being supported, a lot of people won't want to play it. Some of that is understandable: it's fun to be excited about the new thing that's coming out, to figure out the new rules interactions, and to mix up play environments. (This is the problem with the "Just keep playing a previous edition" argument - you have to find people who want to.)

New 40k will be different. The people who made it this time around probably (hopefully) think it's better, but this community consists of people with a whole lot of different (and valid) opinions on what "better" means. If we don't agree with each other on what would make 40k better, why would we expect to agree with the game designers?

It's kind of amazing to me that we, on this forum, can all agree that Dark Eldar are awesome (at least until the old models come up).

Back to top Go down
TeenageAngst
Incubi
TeenageAngst

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 23 2017, 23:52

Eh-hem

Quote :
People want new and different stuff, and they want it all the time. No matter how good or how fun a game is, if it's not currently being supported, a lot of people won't want to play it.

D&D 3.5 edition.

Back to top Go down
Anarchistscourge
Kabalite Warrior
Anarchistscourge

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 24 2017, 00:49

That's true about d&d 3.5 but just like 40k 7th the rules got so bloated. Yes I liked the fact you could build pretty much any character / army you like, but if up you want to keep up with min maxers you need access to all the supplementary cross class books / formations.and although a reset got rid of a lot of the character options I liked it was worth for a reset in rules. I feel the same for 8th edition.
Just like dnd ibwill continue to keep my old books for nostalgia (and money as some of this 3.5 books sell for over £100)

Incubi
TeenageAngst

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 24 2017, 02:37

My point was people play D&D 3.5e religiously. It was so popular, and the edition that replaced it was so bad, it was relaunched by a different publisher as Pathfinder and is currently like the second most popular RPG system in spite of being continually more and more bloated. Even still, many people still insist on running old 3.5e campaigns without even updating to 3.75e aka Pathfinder. People like what they like. They like options, they like power gaming, they like fluff, they like crunch, and when it all hits that magical high note, it doesn't matter what you come out with, people are gonna stick with what works. That's WHY you can find 3.5e books for over $100.

Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych
Calyptra

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 24 2017, 05:21

The Rogue Trader books seem to range from $50-$75 (for the Ork books) up to $200 (for Chaos). And there are people out there, somewhere, still playing it, and 2nd ed, and Necromunda, and Inq28, and so on. Somewhere.

Not here. Here, I gave up on playing the current edition of 40k because people only wanted to play giant games, and weren't willing to play me at 1000 points.

It's absolutely true that there's nothing stopping you from playing old games except finding other people to play them with.

Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 24 2017, 06:22

Calyptra has it - you can play which ever edition you like but getting games will be tougher and the chances of organised formal events from people or the company in question are reduced or nil

The failure of FW to transition HH immediately to the new rules is a colossal failure in my mind. It's basically stopped me purchasing anymore models for my heresy armies as I don't want to keep the game system in my head alongside the new one. I have 7 editions of half remembered rules as it is. I don't need the agrovation of a game with 2 editions running parallel. I will go back to heresy when it's updated but for now, it's being benched apart from painting what I have

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 24 2017, 07:03

Yes I agree with you there Massaen. FW really missed an opportunity there, and should have followed suit with a load of PDF upgrades for their books, so people who have bought copies don't have to chuck them or anything. I will be doing the same, holding fire until HH is upgraded too . Really looking forward to the new update for 40k
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 24 2017, 10:18

TeenageAngst wrote:
Quote :
The way they answered certainly is a nice touch against people who are afraid of GW killing the franchise at any given moment.

These are the same people responsible for AoS and the terrible launch of shadowrun. Don't give them any slack.

Shadowrun?! Really?!

http://www.escelionfilms.com
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 24 2017, 12:10

I used to love Shadowrun back in the day. Still got the 2e rules up in the loft somewhere.

Imateria
Wych
Imateria

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 24 2017, 12:38

Massaen wrote:
Calyptra has it - you can play which ever edition you like but getting games will be tougher and the chances of organised formal events from people or the company in question are reduced or nil

The failure of FW to transition HH immediately to the new rules is a colossal failure in my mind. It's basically stopped me purchasing anymore models for my heresy armies as I don't want to keep the game system in my head alongside the new one. I have 7 editions of half remembered rules as it is. I don't need the agrovation of a game with 2 editions running parallel. I will go back to heresy when it's updated but for now, it's being benched apart from painting what I have

I fully believe this has a lot more to do with Forgeworld just being very slow at putting out rules more than a consciouse choice to hold onto the current edition. I mean Inferno got delayed for years (was originally slated to be the 2nd or 3rd book in the series), Fires of Cyraxis is currently a year behind schedule and were over 16 months out from the release of Doom of Mymeara 2nd ed and still waiting on the promised FAQ for it's numerous inconsistencies.
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 24 2017, 13:51

AMusing note: quite a few 40k armies have appeared on eBay over the past couple of days.....

krayd
Hekatrix
krayd

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 24 2017, 14:14

Count Adhemar wrote:
I used to love Shadowrun back in the day. Still got the 2e rules up in the loft somewhere.

Shadowrun 1st ed was an *extremely* unwieldy system; 2nd ed was a step up, but only slightly. I don't think they managed to turn it into a game that could be run/played smoothly until 4th ed.

Still, I don't see what Shadowrun has to do with GW.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 24 2017, 14:37

Me neither. Perhaps @TeenageAngst can explain?

Skulnbonz
Hekatrix
Skulnbonz

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 24 2017, 14:52

I'm hoping GW follows through with this bit on their new site:
Quote :
Dark Eldar instead epitomise physical excellence. Their athleticism and speed are unmatched
So i want the fastest models, quickest ships, fleetest beasts.. i want to be able to run circles around the enemy.

But, chances are, Space marine movement will be "5" and Wyches will be "4"

Gudlawd
Slave
Gudlawd

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 24 2017, 15:33

I just want to field hellions without getting immediately curb stomped. Is that to much to ask? Lol
Back to top Go down
TeenageAngst
Incubi
TeenageAngst

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 24 2017, 18:10

Count Adhemar wrote:
Me neither. Perhaps @TeenageAngst can explain?

Shadow War: Armageddon, also known as Necromunda 2.0 by old people, also known as "shadowrun" by myself as a snide feign of dismissal of a game I have no access to the rules of but am still somehow expected to participate in every Thursday.

Back to top Go down
CurstAlchemist
Wych
CurstAlchemist

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 24 2017, 18:45

I'm not putting my HH army on hold as I was already building around a theme and min/max be damned; I just won't play a game with them (when I actually get around to painting and finish assembling them) until FW moves it to 8th.
Back to top Go down
krayd
Hekatrix
krayd

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 24 2017, 18:47

This just popped up on Faeit, after the QnA:

http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/ongoing-updates-for-live-40k-qna.html
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 24 2017, 18:57

I just got through watching it, and I must say I'm optimistic. I can sometimes be a cynic and a bit of a naysayer, but they way thry talked gives me hope for this new edition.
I approve, even if no exact date comes through.

I like that we WILL have day one rules, and that there will be a rebalance to make units decent again.
Here come the MANDRAKES!

krayd
Hekatrix
krayd

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 24 2017, 19:02

Squidmaster wrote:
I just got through watching it, and I must say I'm optimistic. I can sometimes be a cynic and a bit of a naysayer, but they way thry talked gives me hope for this new edition.
I approve, even if no exact date comes through.

I like that we WILL have day one rules, and that there will be a rebalance to make units decent again.

I'm very hopeful regarding the rebalance, due to the alleged extensive playtesting involved. GW has traditionally been very weak in the playtesting department.

Quote :
Here come the MANDRAKES!

That was my exact thought as well.
Back to top Go down
Hen Tai, the tentacle guy
Sybarite
Hen Tai, the tentacle guy

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 24 2017, 19:20

The return of wych cults is nigh

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 40k 8th Edition confirmed   40k 8th Edition confirmed - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

40k 8th Edition confirmed
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next