THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TjurigRymdalv
Slave

Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp Empty
PostSubject: Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp   Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp I_icon_minitimeThu May 03 2012, 23:42

So, in order to motivate myself to paint up my army, I decided to start a project log, which also gives me a golden opportunity to get some feedback and tips from all you great painters out there. Since the competition is tough out there (I've seen what masterpieces some of you on the forums can create with paints, brushes and a webway full of talent), it's not with a small dose of humility I post the following pictures. I've been painting since August last year and in here (DE only since February), you will also see my first attempts at sculpting.

What I have painted this far (pics taken with my crap phone camera that refuses to focus on what I want it to):

Wyches
Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp IMAG0080
Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp IMAG0081

I tried to give them the sort of a pale skintone I imagine sun-fearing creatures of the night have. I also opted to make them seem unhealthy and kind of anemic, not a lack of blood though, but rather the fact that an evil hermaphrodite is slowly devouring their souls. I hope it sort of shows that behind the weapons and (papertowel) armour, there are actually very fragile beings.

Note that I haven't painted the Agoniser yet. I won't until I feel more confident in my painting skills giving me a desirable result.

Kabalites (some details still to be painted on a few of them)
Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp IMAG0079
Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp IMAG0078

So after painting the Wyches I was really tired of having to mix a suitable dark red for the basecoat, so I got the darkest red paint my LGS offers in the Vallejo range and just thought I'd try it out and see where it would take me. I had also seen this 'Eavy Metal Masterclass for the relaunch of Space Hulk marines and I thought I'd try and apply that to my pointy eared meanies in space.

I also tried using the blacklining instead of washes, to get more control over the shading and, of course, to try out a technique I hadn't really tried out before.

Even if I'm happy with the end result, I don't know how well they go together with my Wyches, even if I appreciate the variation. I hope the common red with a green off-set makes the both units seem like they at least belong to the same Kabal.

What's left to paint:
1 Archon
1 Urien Rakarth
3 Raiders
5 Incubi
1 Venom
1 Razorwing

As a final treat, you, the denizens of the Dark City, as the first people in realspace or otherwise get to see a bit of my first attempts at converting and sculpting:
Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp IMAG0082
Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp IMAG0086
Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp IMAG0083
Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp IMAG0084
Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp IMAG0085

These have been converted from the hangers-on you get with Venoms and Raiders. Instead of being pointless decoration with the priceless ability to make my Raiders harder to pack and also look like an overloaded refugee boat, I thought I could make them into some "free" trueborn. So I grabbed my scalpel and did my best to make them look somewhat natural in their falling-overboard-poses. If it doesn't show, the third guy is supposed to be holding a still beating heart he just removed from some poor sod's chest.

More to come and, please, give me a bit of feedback!

My project log: Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp
Back to top Go down
SleepyPillow
Kabalite Warrior
SleepyPillow

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp   Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp I_icon_minitimeFri May 04 2012, 09:22

Everything looks pretty good so far, I really enjoyed your kabals name.

red_head likes this post

Back to top Go down
TjurigRymdalv
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp   Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp I_icon_minitimeFri May 04 2012, 10:21

Thanks, Sleepypillow!

About the name, I chose it only because I couldn't think of more serious one that didn't sound totally pretentious. Also, I miss the good old days when the setting was a bit more light-hearted and tongue-in-cheek than now. I guess you got the reference as well. Wink

Back to top Go down
SmallVictory
Hellion
SmallVictory

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp   Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp I_icon_minitimeSat May 05 2012, 05:20

Damn that crap phone camera, your tiny almost in focus models look great for the short time you've been painting.
Back to top Go down
TjurigRymdalv
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp   Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 08 2023, 14:53

Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp Img_2012

Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp 20230112
Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp Img_2010

Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp Img_2013

I haven't posted any updates here for... a bit.

Anyway, I've done some painting in the meantime. Here are some pictures of my latest work, a squad of headswapped reavers.

red_head likes this post

Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp   Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10 2023, 15:31

Those are very fun looking.
Way better photos now than last time Very Happy

Back to top Go down
TjurigRymdalv
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp   Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10 2023, 15:49

Thor665 wrote:
Those are very fun looking.
Way better photos now than last time Very Happy

Well, I've had almost 12 years to get a less terrible phone Wink
Back to top Go down
TjurigRymdalv
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp   Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24 2023, 17:17

Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp 20230113
Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp 20221210
Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp 20230114Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp Img_2014

My Archon, Succubus and a li'l Ravager I painted up in 2013, 2022 and 2023, respectively.

red_head likes this post

Back to top Go down
red_head
Sybarite
red_head

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp   Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07 2023, 17:48

Your stuff is looking really good, I dig it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp   Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp
Page 1 of 1