THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Dark Eldar Skin Tone

Go down 
+2
Siticus the Ancient
Damnosus
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Damnosus
Hellion
Damnosus

Dark Eldar Skin Tone Empty
PostSubject: Dark Eldar Skin Tone   Dark Eldar Skin Tone I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08 2012, 17:45

I was just wondering how everyone here paints Dark Eldar skin? I know this has been brought up in the past, however, they all require what appears to be out of print paints (Tallarn Flesh and Dheneb Stone, both popular base colors for the skin tones, are both no longer on the GW website-mind you I am terrible with search engines, so I might just not be seeing them...).

I would love for the skin tone to be as close as possible to the GW studio army, and I would prefer to stick with GW paints (mostly because it is what I am used to). Any and all help would be appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Skin Tone   Dark Eldar Skin Tone I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08 2012, 21:14

I do it as follows. Dheneb Stone, wash with Badab Black, Dheneb Stone highlight, Skull white and Dheneb stone mix for another highlight. Comes out nice and coldly pale.

CaptainBalroga
Sybarite
CaptainBalroga

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Skin Tone   Dark Eldar Skin Tone I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08 2012, 21:33

Luckily for you, I have the GW book, and there is a Wych guide in there. Note: this book is very useful but overpriced, as there is a lot of free information online.

Prime Black
Basecoat Rakarth Flesh
Wash Reikland Fleshtone
Wash Eyes Drakenhof Nightshade
Highlight/Layer Pallid Wych Flesh
Fine Highlight White Scar

Now, personally I went Prime Black, Basecoat Rakarth, Wash Leviathan Purple (I believe it's now Drakenhof Nightshde), Layer Rakarth Flesh, Highlight Pallid Wych Flesh. I wanted an unusual blusih tint to the sides of the bluging veins that the older metal Wyches have. Now, I was recently advised to wash the skin again in Sepia and do very thin white layer to smooth my layers out, and I may try that. I am inclined to believe this advice solely because he complimented my Wyches' hair, which I appreciated after the incalcuable pain and anguish I went through to getting a look I liked!

Warrior/Hellion flesh should be the same, but Wrack/Haemonculus flesh would look best if it was different, probably darker and more worked-on. Maybe Evil Space Elves can chime in?

Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Skin Tone   Dark Eldar Skin Tone I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08 2012, 21:37

I always used to use Dheneb Stone, washed with Ogryn Flesh then highlighted with more Dheneb Stone, which seemed to work fine for the effect I wanted to achieve. Now I use Rakarth flesh as my main colour, but have yet to run out of Ogryn Flesh. I'll be using Reikland Fleshshade when I do though, as the effect should be pretty similar. To clarify, this isn't on coven stuff, this is on my kabalite and wych stuff. They look more elvish than human, with the "dark" element of them being conveyed by their armour and weaponry. The great thing about the dark eldar models is that you could almost paint them covered in flowers and starbursts and everyone would still know they were the villains! Coven stuff gets less highlighting as I want it to look more gnarled.

It does depend what sort of look you want for them really - personally I go for a slightly more realistic yet pale sort of tone as opposed to the slightly ethereal looking blue/purple ones a lot of people go for.

Sybarite
Ciirian

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Skin Tone   Dark Eldar Skin Tone I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08 2012, 22:13

I used Dheneb Stone, wash of the Purple (Leviathatan? or whatever the new name is) wash then touch up with dheneb stone. I do this cycle mutiple times till I get what I like.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Skin Tone   Dark Eldar Skin Tone I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08 2012, 22:25

I would ask what colors that you plan to use for your army. Are you using warm colors or cool colors? Do you want the skin to stand out(contrast) with the other colors, or do you want to complement the colors of your armor/uniforms? I went the route of using cool colors (teal/purple/magenta) and opted to use the bluish skin tone that you aren't going for. I may have over done the cool tones on my army, but the effect seems to work. I would suggest that you decide on how you want your colors to work together first.
My scheme used to use a complicated mixture of base colors and highlights until I realized that I was creating too much work for myself. Now my scheme has been simplified to :
Russ Grey basecoat
Highlight with Fortress Grey
Wash with 50/50 mixture of Agrax Earthshade and Druchi Violet
Retouch the highlights of Fortress Grey
Final highlight of 50/50 Fortress Grey/White

Wracks and coven models hold a very special, bruised place in my heart Twisted Evil These models look great using the gnarled dark skin tone, pale tones, and even completely skinned(I've seen them painted this way...very creepy) For my Wracks I use the above formula with a final highlight of pure white with the small patches washed with Thraka Green(or whatever they're calling the dark green wash these days) and dark blue wash to give a bruised effect. I go the opposite and make my Wrack even more pale to match the fluff of them being dungeon torture types. Had I painted a slightly warmer skin tone(using the GW Rakarth paint method) I probably would have made them dark to get the gnarled effect.
Dark Eldar Skin Tone 2012-02-14_07-22-38_843
This is an unfinished shot of my Aberration that shows a little bit of bruising.
Dark Eldar Skin Tone 2012-02-15_21-02-31_950

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Damnosus
Hellion
Damnosus

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Skin Tone   Dark Eldar Skin Tone I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09 2012, 16:21

@ESE: well I hadn't really gotten that far because I couldn't decide on the other colors; I was planning on doing the skin and then seeing what I liked with it. What I want though is to have something that still maintains the "dark/evil" feel of the army, but is somewhat different from the black+colored highlights that the studio army has prompted to proliferate.

On that note, would it be possible to make all armored parts be some shade of white, and if so, what sort of skin color would best fit with that? My biggest fear is that the skin/white will clash or get lost due to the other. Maybe this can be mitigated by a secondary color (for cloth/spandex/what have you), but I do not know what would work.

@everyone else: For the record, Dheneb Stone is no longer a color of GW.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Skin Tone   Dark Eldar Skin Tone I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09 2012, 16:30

Check out Wilku's painting log:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t3315-wip-wilku-s-incomplete-paintings
Wilku beautifully uses a very minimal palette with white armor and vehicles. He won the first round of the Archon's challenge with his Lhaeman. Very stunning, yet minimal scheme. The pale skin tones aren't lost despite all of the cool pale colors. I believe that you could use the Rakarth Flesh shaded with a Reikland Flesh and Druchii Violet, highlighted with Palid Wyche Flesh, with final highlights done with white to get a pale skin that is similar to the studio army, but complements a white armor scheme.

PM Wilku if you like the skin tone as I'm sure he'd be willing to help.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Skin Tone   Dark Eldar Skin Tone I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dark Eldar Skin Tone
Page 1 of 1