THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Aegis - How to defeat it

Go down 
+5
Braden Campbell
Thor665
Gherma
Laughingcarp
Archon Shelby
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Archon Shelby
Slave

Aegis - How to defeat it Empty
PostSubject: Aegis - How to defeat it   Aegis - How to defeat it I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 27 2013, 23:10

Hey guys, as some of you may have seen from my post in army list, I keep coming up against squads of marines camped out with hvy weapons behind this with a turret and predator tanks either end.

Any ideas how to overcome it?

I've tried coming at the sides and front on assaults but get my vehicles blown up before I can inflict any significant damage and then any troops have to footslog and get destroyed.

I've got access to a Jetwing/Bomber.. But suspect that one vehicle is not going to overcome this problem (its' not managed to do so in the 3 times I've tried it).

Any suggestions?

My local GW suggested buying an Eldar Titan as we play 1000, 1250 and the odd 2000 pt games. Somehow I don't want to spend £300 on a unit I KNOW my mates will not allow me to field...

Back to top Go down
Laughingcarp
Wych
Laughingcarp

PostSubject: Re: Aegis - How to defeat it   Aegis - How to defeat it I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 27 2013, 23:56

Don't be tfg and get the Titan lol.
Think of it like this; if you shoot those marines with AP2 weapons and they bother going to ground to avoid dying, then they're only snap-shotting at you the next turn. That's worth some dark light shots from your end. If they don't gtg and you're using darklight, well they're dead.
If you're using poison, then it doesn't matter if they have cover or not. With poison vs marines you've gotta use volume of fire anyway since it won't get through their armour.
And the quad gun or icarus cannon they've got with the aegis line? That goes down to poison fire just like a marine. Take it out before your flier shows up.

It's the tanks you have to worry about. Personal experience dealing with that, I'd say focus down the rest of his army first. Kill the things you know you CAN kill before worrying about the things you can't. But if you do choose to aim at the tanks with cover saves, focus them down one at a time, no sense splitting your fire.

GLHF, brother.

Host of Shattered Purity - Chaos Daemons
Back to top Go down
Gherma
Kabalite Warrior
Gherma

PostSubject: Re: Aegis - How to defeat it   Aegis - How to defeat it I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 28 2013, 00:00

I really can't understand the problem of the enemy aegis:
- If you shot to the cannon with splinter weaponry is how kill a marines, it only needs about 10 shots.
- If you shot to the marine unit with splinter weaponry they use their armour save, not the cover one.

Where is the problem?

Archon Shelby
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Aegis - How to defeat it   Aegis - How to defeat it I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 28 2013, 00:27

Gherma wrote:
I really can't understand the problem of the enemy aegis:
- If you shot to the cannon with splinter weaponry is how kill a marines, it only needs about 10 shots.
- If you shot to the marine unit with splinter weaponry they use their armour save, not the cover one.

Where is the problem?

The problem is I need a 4+ (50%) to damage so lets say on 12 shots that's 6 damage.
Assume I am firing on the unit of 10 marines, that's 6 rolling a 3+ armour save, so with a 66% chance of passing that's 2 deaths.

Hardly efficient...

Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Aegis - How to defeat it   Aegis - How to defeat it I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 28 2013, 01:18

That's just as effecient as Marines shooting at Marines.

Here's the general math - 1 Venom, 12 shots, vs. MEQ
8 hit, 4 wound, and 1.33 Marines die after saves.

If I was 6 Marines (who, incidentally, cost more than a Venom) and fired bolters at Marines behind an Aegis than;

8 hit, 4 wound, and 1.33 Marines die after saves.

So...it's not like we're any worse at killing Marines than Marines are at killing Marines. In fact, point for point, we're better at it than Marines. We're actually really pretty decent at killing most things, and exceedingly good at killing certain things (like, the Riptide and the Wraithknight, which most armies really sweat) Basically the only thing we're not good at killing is AV 12 spam and flyers. And flyers are the only thing we're 'weak' at, and so are a lot of armies, frankly.

The GW guys suggesting you get a Titan are wuss heads who are trying to make a sale. Yes, a Titan would most assuredly kill your problem unit...but a lot of things would kill those Marines, and most cost far less and are also not sort of cheesy/douchey to field.

I'm actually going to track down your army list post, because I think that's the actual issue. Killing 10 Marines behind an Aegis shouldn't be particularly difficult one way or the other for us unless you're counting on Dissies or something as your anti-infantry...and even then it shouldn't be hideous if you have enough Dissies.

Back to top Go down
Braden Campbell
Kabalite Warrior
Braden Campbell

PostSubject: Re: Aegis - How to defeat it   Aegis - How to defeat it I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 28 2013, 19:50

"Buy a titan."  Laughing 

Deepstrike 2 Ravagers (with 3 dissies each) behind the marines, and turn the squad into goo. Distract the tanks with reaver teams while  4 5-man wych squads in venoms rush up and haywire the field.
Back to top Go down
Gherma
Kabalite Warrior
Gherma

PostSubject: Re: Aegis - How to defeat it   Aegis - How to defeat it I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 28 2013, 20:14

Never pay attention to GW red shirts' suggestions... they are better customer hunters than footlocker guys XD

Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Aegis - How to defeat it   Aegis - How to defeat it I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 28 2013, 20:27

I agree with Braden, 18 AP3 shots without cover would destroy those marines.

as for the Quad Gun? Fire a Venom with to Splinter Cannons at it, there's 6 hits, 3 wounds, 1 missed save.

then fire another venom at it, 6 hits, 3 wounds, 1 missed save, oh look! DEAD DEAD DEAD! Razz hope this helped
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Aegis - How to defeat it   Aegis - How to defeat it I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 29 2013, 13:10

Archon Shelby wrote:
My local GW suggested buying an Eldar Titan

Well it would certainly solve the problem of anything hiding behind an Aegis Line!  Shocked 

Did they seriously suggest that? I know they have to sell models but jeez!!!

Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Aegis - How to defeat it   Aegis - How to defeat it I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 29 2013, 17:05

Lord_Alino wrote:
I agree with Braden, 18 AP3 shots without cover would destroy those marines.

as for the Quad Gun? Fire a Venom with to Splinter Cannons at it, there's 6 hits, 3 wounds, 1 missed save.

then fire another venom at it, 6 hits, 3 wounds, 1 missed save, oh look! DEAD DEAD DEAD! :Phope this helped

Man, how do you survive in the dark city with kabalite warriors that miss half their shots.... It must be pity for the weak Laughing 

Slave

PostSubject: Re: Aegis - How to defeat it   Aegis - How to defeat it I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 29 2013, 20:55

Count Adhemar wrote:
Archon Shelby wrote:
My local GW suggested buying an Eldar Titan

Well it would certainly solve the problem of anything hiding behind an Aegis Line!  Shocked 

Did they seriously suggest that? I know they have to sell models but jeez!!!

Reminds me when I was having problems with an Army Build in Fantasy. They had lots of helpful suggestions. Suggestions about new, flashy, super $$$$ models I could buy. I rebuild my army list instead....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aegis - How to defeat it   Aegis - How to defeat it I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aegis - How to defeat it
Page 1 of 1