THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

7th Ed Jinking

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Erebus
HTMLaemonculus
Erebus

7th Ed Jinking Empty
PostSubject: 7th Ed Jinking   7th Ed Jinking I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 13 2014, 00:34

I have my first game of 7th tomorrow and was (re)acquainting myself with the rules. And I get to Jink...

"If the unit Jinks, all models in the unit with this special rule gain a 4+ cover save until the start of their next Movement phase, but they can only fire Snap Shots until the end of their next turn."

Now, I know a lot (everyone?) read it as that only the model with the rule has to fire snap shots, but it's actually worded in such a way that it has two meanings. A problem with the ambiguous nature of the English language.
The first is obviously the way most read it, and the way I, being a DE player, would prefer to play it: that the advantages and disadvantages apply to the model(s) with the rule.
The other is what I expect was the intention: that the advantages and disadvantages apply to all models in the unit with the rule.

My opponent tomorrow is a necron player, so it's not likely to be a cause of contention given his vehicles are also skimmers, but I'm a stickler for accurate rules interpretation.

Kabalite Warrior

7th Ed Jinking Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7th Ed Jinking   7th Ed Jinking I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 13 2014, 04:19

I believe that the use of "they" rather than "it" [can only fire Snap Shots] precludes the sentence referring to the unit.

I would have a hard time convincing myself that the second interpretation you've come up with is correct, regardless of advantage or disadvantage.

Hekatrix

7th Ed Jinking Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7th Ed Jinking   7th Ed Jinking I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 13 2014, 05:37

I agree with the above, it's only the units that can Jink (unit type:Skimmer) in the first place are then effected. Warriors can't Jink (as they are Infantry and even when inside a transport that is a skimmer.....they are still Infantry) so are not affected. Raiders can Jink, so are affected.

HTMLaemonculus
Erebus

7th Ed Jinking Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7th Ed Jinking   7th Ed Jinking I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 13 2014, 11:51

MyNameDidntFit wrote:
I believe that the use of "they" rather than "it" [can only fire Snap Shots] precludes the sentence referring to the unit.
I had read it as "they" merely being proper use of English after having referred to models (a collection of singular bodies, as opposed to a single entity), but that does raise the point of why they specified models, rather than simply stating "it" gains the benefits and handicaps.

I'm convinced. Thanks.

Wych

7th Ed Jinking Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7th Ed Jinking   7th Ed Jinking I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 13 2014, 12:42

The use of "they" refers to all the models in the unit, in this case, one raider. It's worded as such because it also covers bikes/jetbikes etc, which have multiple models in the unit.

Incubi

7th Ed Jinking Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7th Ed Jinking   7th Ed Jinking I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 13 2014, 17:32

The jink affects only models with jink, and the snapshooting thing is directly connected to this in one sentence, meaning it also affects only the models with Jink.

Second - the transport and transported unit are not one unit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

7th Ed Jinking Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7th Ed Jinking   7th Ed Jinking I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

7th Ed Jinking
Page 1 of 1