THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

1000 Points new Codex

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Lord Azrael
Hellion
Lord Azrael

1000 Points new Codex Empty
PostSubject: 1000 Points new Codex   1000 Points new Codex I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04 2014, 19:33

Hey,

after reading the new codex and thinking about the models I have available, i wrote my first smal list I would like to share with you. I usually played only smal point games with my dark eldar army, thus I'm limited with the models available.

The list isnt anything special nor something for an turnament.

Quote :
HQ
Archon
+Huskblade
+Soultrap
+Shadowfield
First of all, I'll start with the HQ. I thought about the agonizer in the first place, but I'm dying to try the new soultrap. With the new rules, there come some really positive and some really negative effects on it. Let's prove if its worth the points.
He will join the Inccubi.

Quote :
Elite
5 Inccubi
+Raider
++Nightshield
++Dark Lance
They are set in every game I played and got cheaper now, should still do their job. If they arrive.

5 Trueborn
+ 2xSplinter Cannon
+Raider
++Nightshield
++Splinter Racks
Shooting the hell out of any infantery unit stupid enought to run in their line of sight

Quote :
Troops
10 Kabalite Warriors
+Splinter Cannon
+Raider
++Nightshields
++Splinter Racks

10 Kabalite Warriors
+Splinter Cannon
+Raider
++Nightshields
++Splinter Racks
Usually, this is the place where wyches show up. But you know, in the new codex they supposed to clean the house at home and bake cake while daddy is raiding the realspace.
So I choose two selections of shooty kabalites, making the inccubi the only real close combat unit.

Quote :
Fast Attack
3 Reaver Jetbikes
+Blaster

3 Reaver Jetbikes
+Blaster
Thinking about sniping units to annoy them and boosting to maelstrom objectives. Maybe leaving one of them in reserve to keep it alive until the end of game.

What do you think? Too weak? Playable? Other suggestions?

Especially at the reavers, I'm not sure. The other idear would be a unit of 6 with 2 caltrops and champion with power weapon or agonizer.
You know, I REALLY love my bikes. Sadly I have no clue where the new codex is leading us to. With 6 bikes the how attacks are crap against most targets, even with caltrops.
It could work if you prepare the target unit before assaulting with shooting from other troops.
It could work against weak targets or small units and hit+run gives you some tactical choises.
But with 5+ armor save they die so horribly fast in close combat. Even with feel no pain.

About the enemies I'll encounter:
Most of my friends stopped at 5th edition and those who don't moved to another town. So currently there is only one space marine player with lots of infantry but only one, maybe two dreadnoughts as vehicles.

Also I'm still thinking of how to expand my army modelwise. I don't like the idear of taking eldar with me. I guess my next purchase would be a talos, maybe two.. what do you think (I now it's early to make suggestions)?

*edit*
Also I have another 34 points availalbe, any sugestions what i could do with them?
Back to top Go down
Grim Dark James
Slave
Grim Dark James

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Points new Codex   1000 Points new Codex I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04 2014, 21:12

I wouldn't say that the HoW are crap - the cluster caltrops do d6 str6 rending each, that's respectable. You can pop vehicles with that. The bikes are also pretty cheap now. Your other points are right though, they certainly are fragile. I'd give them a few games and see how they perform. I wouldn't put blasters on them though.

Splinter cannons are not worth it on trueborn now since they have been changed to Salvo. Why spend 85pts on that setup when you could buy a venom with two SCs for 65pts that's relentless. Go for blasters, you need the AT. Same goes for all SC's on your kabalites.
Back to top Go down
Lord Azrael
Hellion
Lord Azrael

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Points new Codex   1000 Points new Codex I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04 2014, 21:15

No venoms in my inventory sir Smile
As mentioned, there are not many vehicles i should face at the moment. Only one or two Dreadnoughts rest is space marines

And against space marines.. one caltrop is about one dead marine, also 4 standard bikes are about one dead marine. So 6 bikes with 2 caltrops will take out 3 marines, if they all get base contact. In the following cc, there is maybe another dead marine. Maybe a champion is a nice option here, but that will add another 25 points at least.
So they surley able to attack a squad of marines and survive until hit+run occurs. With some firesupport of other units maybe get rid of an squad.

But in the end, thats about 130 points for a one-strike unit, maybe two if they get lucky. They also should be an more interesting target for the enemy then the small biker squads. This could help the rest of the army to stay alive while the bikes soak some shots.

On the other hand, 2 squads of 3 with blaster can snipe infantry and then move in cover or take objectives, giving other units the oppertunity to stay in cover and making use of their firepower.
This is even 10 points cheaper.

I will give both combinations a try. But currently, the 2x3 squad with shooting weapon sounds a bit more interessting then the 6 bike squad

The how attacks bringing up one question. You get the how attack if you etablish base contact in the charge move. The reaver bikes are long and the bases quite small. Do you use the base or the model to determine if they get how? This makes probably no difference for less models as you measure the distance from the same point.
But imagine a larger group of bikes and you have to pile them close to get most of them in base contact. This could be a problem couldn't it?
Back to top Go down
Grim Dark James
Slave
Grim Dark James

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Points new Codex   1000 Points new Codex I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04 2014, 21:48

I wouldn't really bother taking them if it's for the purpose of taking out squads of marines - we have far more reliable tools for dealing with them. They also aren't going to soak any shots, they are made of paper, they'll probably fall over to the storm bolter on a drop pod. As I said above, I'd have a go at popping some vehicles with them but if you aren't going to face many of them then perhaps leave them behind.

Not sure how I'd go about dealing with the base to base contact scenario. Probably need to have a chat with your opponent about it and be reasonable people. If the charge distance was ample to get into base contact but the 'nose' of the bike is pushing it back due to being against someone's face then I'd say it's reasonable enough to count it in base contact.

You should get some venoms. They are still really good and they are the only thing that comes with flickerfields now.
Back to top Go down
Lord Azrael
Hellion
Lord Azrael

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Points new Codex   1000 Points new Codex I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04 2014, 22:00

As they have a 3+ Jink and T4 with FnP, they can take a bit of a beating when not in cc. Weapons that ignore cover will of course rip them appart. But that will happen with all of our vehicles except Venoms.

About the venoms, yea I know. I will slowly grow my army as the friend who starts currently playing grows his.
Right now, I plan to buy a talos/cronos. Maybe an court with a Venom too.. will see.
Back to top Go down
Grim Dark James
Slave
Grim Dark James

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Points new Codex   1000 Points new Codex I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04 2014, 22:05

If you are going for a Talos and a Cronos you should maybe think about taking the Talos/Chronos/Haemy formation from the new supplement. I hear it's pretty awesome.
Back to top Go down
Lord Azrael
Hellion
Lord Azrael

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Points new Codex   1000 Points new Codex I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 06 2014, 14:28

So, played a bit with points and came out with something like this:

Quote :
Archon
+shadowfield
+agonizer

Court
Sslyth, Sslyth, Sslyth, Lahaemin, Lahaemin
Raider, night field, lance

Quote :
3 Mandraks

5 Inccubi
Klaivex