THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Night Shields WITHOUT Jink

Go down 
+6
lessthanjeff
NauticalKendall
Dat_Other_Guy
The Shredder
The_Burning_Eye
craigyy
10 posters
AuthorMessage
craigyy
Hellion
craigyy

Night Shields WITHOUT Jink Empty
PostSubject: Night Shields WITHOUT Jink   Night Shields WITHOUT Jink I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 22 2014, 13:13

Hi All,
Done a search of the forum and theres a lot of mixed opinions on the effectiveness of night shields and if they are worth their point cost. From my understanding they combine with Jink to offer a 3+ cover save, which is useful, but you're still jinking and only able to snap fire.
Would it be worth taking them for the 6+ cover save they provide without having to Jink, I see this being useful mainly on the void raven so you actually get a chance to drop its payload, it would also help if you decided to take the blast weapon option on the Voidraven. Could this also make ravagers more useful again? Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Night Shields WITHOUT Jink   Night Shields WITHOUT Jink I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 22 2014, 14:14

I'd say that a 6+ save generally isn't worth paying points for - it'll kick in on so few occasions I wouldn't waste the points (though it does combo nicely with cover saves for things like ravagers that really would rather not jink).

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Night Shields WITHOUT Jink   Night Shields WITHOUT Jink I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 22 2014, 16:34

If all you're getting is the 6+ save, then no. It's too many points for negligible gain. Hell, even if it was 5pts I wouldn't bother for just a 6+ save.

But, if your vehicle is likely to be getting a cover save by other means - like hiding in/behind ruins or somesuch, then it *might* be worth it.

Personally though, I'm just not convinced it's ever worth it. I think our vehicles are too fragile and too cheap to waste points trying to protect.
Back to top Go down
Dat_Other_Guy
Hellion
Dat_Other_Guy

PostSubject: Re: Night Shields WITHOUT Jink   Night Shields WITHOUT Jink I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 22 2014, 20:23

I will always jink if there's no cover nearby. I'd rather save my vehicle than risk using the 6+. Me personally I always put night shields for that 3+ Jink
Back to top Go down
NauticalKendall
Slave
NauticalKendall

PostSubject: Re: Night Shields WITHOUT Jink   Night Shields WITHOUT Jink I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 22 2014, 22:06

Yeah, 3+ jink seems to be worth the points, first turn if you're not going first you can hide in cover so that stealth helps a bit more there as well. Just for the 6+? No not worth it, but to protect my vehicle in cover or jinking, alongside whomever is riding inside, yes.
Back to top Go down
lessthanjeff
Sybarite
lessthanjeff

PostSubject: Re: Night Shields WITHOUT Jink   Night Shields WITHOUT Jink I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 23 2014, 12:22

If you play with mysterious objectives, then I think it's worth it on ravagers. Getting the +1 cover save objective combos very well with having stealth on the vehicle without needing to jink at all. I wouldn't do it on raiders as much though because they can't sit back on the objective like that.
Back to top Go down
django_unchained
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Night Shields WITHOUT Jink   Night Shields WITHOUT Jink I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 23 2014, 15:51

Night Shields I only put on Raiders.

I don't waste the points on Ravagers, if they're in that much danger I'll just jink for the 4+. Raiders, well they don't have a lot of guns. Snap shooting your raider doesn't really hurt at all. The occupants can still fire at full bs. I love shoving Grotesques and CC units in the raiders, and flying them up the board flat out for a total of 30". Then, jinking 3+ until the next turn, when they assault.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Night Shields WITHOUT Jink   Night Shields WITHOUT Jink I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 23 2014, 17:30

Min sized Helions or Reavers are a moving cover for Raider/Ravager.
Thats a 4+ cover with NS.

django_unchained
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Night Shields WITHOUT Jink   Night Shields WITHOUT Jink I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 23 2014, 18:12

Azdrubael wrote:

I would rather just jink and snapfire the raider's ONE weapon, than pay points for a bunk unit like hellions, or a unit that does what I already have in my list i.e. scourges and razorwings for anti tank / infantry

That's my personal opinion though.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Night Shields WITHOUT Jink   Night Shields WITHOUT Jink I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 23 2014, 18:36

You probably right.

Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

PostSubject: Re: Night Shields WITHOUT Jink   Night Shields WITHOUT Jink I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24 2014, 13:48

django_unchained wrote:
Azdrubael wrote:

I would rather just jink and snapfire the raider's ONE weapon, than pay points for a bunk unit like hellions, or a unit that does what I already have in my list i.e. scourges and razorwings for anti tank / infantry

That's my personal opinion though.

Right. Just use covers Smile
Back to top Go down
Lietkar
Hellion
Lietkar

PostSubject: Re: Night Shields WITHOUT Jink   Night Shields WITHOUT Jink I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 25 2014, 23:54

If you have the 1st turn, I agree, an extra 15 pts seems pricy as you should already be where you want.

But, if you have to deploy 2nd, and hide the front of your raiders or Venom (even easier) behind buildings, the Front armor should always be out of LOS, forcing the shooter to target the Side armor adding up the Vehicule Obscured bonus of +1 to its Cover save (BRB p.77 Picture 3)
--> 4+cover or jinx + 1 Stealth +1 Vehicule Obscured = 2+ cover save.

It's a good way to survive going second and can force the opponent to waste a large amount of firepower or redirect his shots to lower priorities targets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Night Shields WITHOUT Jink   Night Shields WITHOUT Jink I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Night Shields WITHOUT Jink
Page 1 of 1