THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Our Codex: What edition

Go down 
+19
Raven Cowl
sweetbacon
The Strange Dark One
HERO
Skulnbonz
The PayneTrayn
megatrons2nd
Vasara
Jimsolo
JackKnife01
The Shredder
Klaivex Charondyr
Azdrubael
Barking Agatha
@miral
Squidmaster
The_Burning_Eye
PriorofDeath
Count Adhemar
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
megatrons2nd
Kabalite Warrior
megatrons2nd

Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11 2015, 12:02

I just feel like our codex was actually written for 6th edition, and was released late, rather than 7th edition. Some of the wording makes more sense using the 6th edition rules.

Sybarite
JackKnife01

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11 2015, 12:06

It was one of the first 7th ed codexes released
Back to top Go down
The PayneTrayn
Hellion
The PayneTrayn

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11 2015, 12:44

I feel like something like the Khorne Daemonkin ability would have been better; as you kill units (or are killed in turn Wink) you add to a Pain Tally, and can either spend them to gain bonuses (again, like Khorne Daemonkin), or gain army-wide bonuses not unlike the Nurgle herald Epidemius.

Also, they should have kept the 7th edition codices consistent with formations. I'm half expecting them to release the early 7th codices next year to keep things current; where's that Pacific Rim pic describing GW's release schedule when you need it?
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11 2015, 13:01

megatrons2nd wrote:
I just feel like our codex was actually written for 6th edition, and was released late, rather than 7th edition.  Some of the wording makes more sense using the 6th edition rules.

Interesting you mention that, as I've often thought the same.

7th edition was rushed out, so perhaps our book had been finished (or almost finished) at the time - and rather than updating it properly, GW just slapped a 7th edition cover on it and pretended that it had been designed for 7th.

Alternatively, they could have just picked us as an army to slap out quickly to give the impression of progress in 7th. I mean, we couldn't have taken much effort - just delete most of the characters and wargear, replace most of the pictures with stuff from the GW catalogue and you're basically there.

The PayneTrayn wrote:
I feel like something like the Khorne Daemonkin ability would have been better; as you kill units (or are killed in turn Wink) you add to a Pain Tally, and can either spend them to gain bonuses (again, like Khorne Daemonkin), or gain army-wide bonuses not unlike the Nurgle herald Epidemius.

Agreed.

The Khorne Daemonkin release really annoys me. It feels like they developed our pfp mechanic and made it a lot more fun and exciting... and then gave it to a different army. Whilst we got something written on a napkin 10 minutes before the deadline. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Skulnbonz
Hekatrix
Skulnbonz

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11 2015, 13:36

After looking at the new Marine dex, I want the writers of our dex dragged out into the street and shot for gross incompetence.

We are one of, if not THE worst 7th edition codex out there.

Hey GW- thanks for nothing!

Klaivex Charondyr
Wych
Klaivex Charondyr

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11 2015, 14:04

You gotta love the new marines.
3 Hunters for 75 points with a skyfire sync quadgun and interceptor now ignore cover if deployed as 3 (still with PotMs so they can split fire)
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11 2015, 14:08

Klaivex Charondyr wrote:
You gotta love the new marines.
3 Hunters for 75 points with a skyfire sync quadgun and interceptor now ignore cover if deployed as 3 (still with PotMs so they can split fire)

Hunters/stalkers don't get power of the machine spirit, nor do they have interceptor.

All you have to do is kill one of those tanks and they lose the benefit. Not something we usually struggle to do...

Edit
Speaking as someone who both plays marines and owns a stalker, it's probably one of the least effective units in the entire codex - it's fairly easy to take out and because it doesn't have interceptor it's almost completely useless unles you either a) get very lucky with your dice, as I once did against a manticore, or b) play against someone with flyers/skimmers. Yes I realise that means us, but it's not the most resilient of tanks and a few lances or haywire blasters should get rid early on.

2nd Edit
You also have to remember that to get the ignores cover rule that marine player will need to spend 225+ pts on three anti air tanks. Dunno about any of the other marine players out there but you won't catch me dropping those sort of points on stalkers. I'd rather save them and spend them on storm talons instead.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Klaivex Charondyr
Wych
Klaivex Charondyr

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11 2015, 14:56

The_Burning_Eye wrote:

Hunters/stalkers don't get power of the machine spirit, nor do they have interceptor.

All you have to do is kill one of those tanks and they lose the benefit. Not something we usually struggle to do...

1) they have interceptor now
2) it is not PotMs but its pretty close:

Quote :
Servo-tracking: The Stalker may elect to fire in dual targets
mode. If it does this, the owning player must announce their
intention to do so before selecting targets, and the Stalker
must select two separate targets, making a full shooting attack
at each using the dual targets profile above. All shots fired
using the Servo-Tracking special mode are made at BS2.

3) they have 48" range our weapons stop at 36". Deepstriking means eating interceptor shots.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11 2015, 15:09

They're BS2 and not twin-linked though, so there's no guarantee it will do anything major. And, as TBE said, once you destroy one of them they no longer ignore cover. Plus all 3 would have to fire at the same two targets as they're a squadron.

JackKnife01
Sybarite
JackKnife01

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11 2015, 16:25

Also being a squadron means they share hull points. Not a hundred percent kill but makes webway that gets intercepted better. As of they kill the raider/venom the rest do the damage
Back to top Go down
HERO
Hekatrix
HERO

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12 2015, 21:59

JackKnife01 wrote:
It was one of the first 7th ed codexes released

We ended up like the Tomb Kings of 8th Ed. The first and arguably the weakest.

Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12 2015, 22:07

What I find really frustrating is that they stripped a ton of content out of our book - seemingly for the purpose of streamlining the game. So, we lost a load of wargear and units outright, and then lots more stuff had its unique special rules - generally getting replaced with worthless core rules (yey, Concussive...), if at all.

Well, that's depressing and removed most of the flavour from our book. But, I guess it might be worth it to streamline the game.

And then - hello Eldar, Cult Mechanicus, Marines etc. How about instead of removing or streamlining your rules, we instead give you a ton of extra rules? (new ones, obviously, not those boring old USRs). And then we give you formations with even more special rules. And then we give you a super formation with even more special rules. Hell, marines also get special rules for fielding vehicles in squadrons. Those S10 AP2 Ignores Cover Apocalypse Templates aren't going to generate themselves, you know.

I can't help but feel rather bitter about our book.
Back to top Go down
The Strange Dark One
Wych
The Strange Dark One

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12 2015, 22:31

The Shredder wrote:
megatrons2nd wrote:
I just feel like our codex was actually written for 6th edition, and was released late, rather than 7th edition. Some of the wording makes more sense using the 6th edition rules.

7th edition was rushed out, so perhaps our book had been finished (or almost finished) at the time - and rather than updating it properly, GW just slapped a 7th edition cover on it and pretended that it had been designed for 7th.

Alternatively, they could have just picked us as an army to slap out quickly to give the impression of progress in 7th. I mean, we couldn't have taken much effort - just delete most of the characters and wargear, replace most of the pictures with stuff from the GW catalogue and you're basically there.

If I remember correctly the Voidraven was finished a while ago as well, so that would fit too.
I also suspect that GW sacrificed the rumored Wych Cult Supplement for the Harlequins dex but I might be just a bit paranoid.
However, from there it wouldn't be a far stretch to consider them salvaging more original DE content for other dexes...
Back to top Go down
The PayneTrayn
Hellion
The PayneTrayn

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12 2015, 23:45

The Strange Dark One wrote:
The Shredder wrote:
megatrons2nd wrote:

If I remember correctly the Voidraven was finished a while ago as well, so that would fit too.
I also suspect that GW sacrificed the rumored Wych Cult Supplement for the Harlequins dex but I might be just a bit paranoid.
However, from there it wouldn't be a far stretch to consider them salvaging more original DE content for other dexes...

It's a distinct possibility. It's a little insulting that Wych cults remain at WS4, when space marine scouts got a bump to their WS and BS for no price increase. Or the free vehicles with the right formation...

Gah, I hate GW at times.
Back to top Go down
sweetbacon
Wych
sweetbacon

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12 2015, 23:54

The Shredder wrote:
What I find really frustrating is that they stripped a ton of content out of our book - seemingly for the purpose of streamlining the game. So, we lost a load of wargear and units outright, and then lots more stuff had its unique special rules - generally getting replaced with worthless core rules (yey, Concussive...), if at all.

Well, that's depressing and removed most of the flavour from our book. But, I guess it might be worth it to streamline the game.

And then - hello Eldar, Cult Mechanicus, Marines etc. How about instead of removing or streamlining your rules, we instead give you a ton of extra rules? (new ones, obviously, not those boring old USRs). And then we give you formations with even more special rules. And then we give you a super formation with even more special rules. Hell, marines also get special rules for fielding vehicles in squadrons. Those S10 AP2 Ignores Cover Apocalypse Templates aren't going to generate themselves, you know.

I can't help but feel rather bitter about our book.

You forgot to mention that the new trend is apparently to hand out hundreds of points worth of free upgrades and vehicles like they were candy.  But we pay 15 points for a Liquifier gun.  Yeah, that seems fair.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13 2015, 09:55

"I told you we should have followed the instructions." Said Archon Tha'ris, as yet another orb of despair burst with a disappointing pop and faint 'woooooooo' noise.
"And I told you there weren't any!" Shouted Haemonculus Veristar. "If there were any The Duke took them with him... along with everything else. He picked up another orb and began tinkering with it irritably.
Tha'ris nodded, his hand reaching to where he'd always kept a venom blade, back before the Duke had taken all those useful toxins with him. Now it was just... well.... a blade. He might as well have kept a bread-knife as his backup weapon.
"In any case, could you at least take another look at this Huskblade. It's still not working properly."
Veristar sighed, tossing the orb at a nearby slave. It burst on the creature's head with all the impact of a balloon. There was a puff of smoke and 'life is pain' seemed to float by on the edge of hearing. Shaking his head, Veristar took the Huskblade and made some sweeping motions with it. "It looks alright. What's supposed to be wrong with it?
"Try cutting something with it."
Veristar attempted a cut at his workbench. It got about an inch, then got stuck.
"It used to cut through the finest armour in the imperium. Now it's stuck in a table."
Veristar attempted to remove the blade, but it was now stuck fast. He gave up, "I'll look at it later."
"By the way, what happened to all those apprentice haemonculi you used to have? I thought this sort of thing was their job."
"Didn't you hear? They spontaneously combusted the moment the Duke left. It's just us ancients left now."
"That's unfortunate. Still, could be worse I suppose. Remember what happened to poor old Sathonyx?"
"It was his own fault. They all told him you couldn't fly a Skyboard after seven pints, but he just wouldn't listen."
"The Djin Blade's up for auction again, by the way."
"Really? Vorek's tired of it already?"
"Not exactly - it's being auctioned by his Court. Apparently he was fighting some sod with a massive hammer, and the demon inside chose a really inopportune moment to break his shadowfield."
"They saw that?"
"Not exactly, they just pieced it together when they found his body. Although 'body' is a bit of a stretch - I've heard that they were only able to identify him because he was still holding that Djin Blade."
"I see. And do you plan on bidding for it?"
"Hah! I'm having enough trouble with my non-sentient equipment."
"Oh? You think you have problems? Take a look at this" Veristar raised his third arm, which ended in a Liquifier Gun, and pointed the weapon at another slave. The apparatus shuddered for a moment, then with a sound like 'thrrrp' a viscious brown liquid oozed out, dripping in a puddle at the Haemonculus' feet.
"See? What good it this?"
"But... I mean... doesn't that thing fire your own blood?"
"What do you think I'm worried about?!"
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13 2015, 10:03

lol!

It's funny cos it's true!

The Strange Dark One
Wych
The Strange Dark One

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13 2015, 10:25

+1 for The Shredder
Amazing and so true.
Back to top Go down
Raven Cowl
Hellion
Raven Cowl

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13 2015, 13:32

Have an internet Shredder.
Back to top Go down
Nariaklizhar
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13 2015, 15:02

So awesome. That's the fluff story that should have been written in the beginning of our 7th ed codex. At least it explain what happen to all our wargear and characters
Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych
Calyptra

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13 2015, 15:19

Brilliant, Shredder. lol!

Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13 2015, 15:47

Hahaha!

Ees funny because I so sad...
Back to top Go down
JackKnife01
Sybarite
JackKnife01

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13 2015, 17:21

Lol
Back to top Go down
@miral
Kabalite Warrior
@miral

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13 2015, 18:02

It is so hard to explain to my girlfriend why exactly I laugh so hard at this very moment! Thanks so much for this!
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13 2015, 19:08

Thanks, guys. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Our Codex: What edition   Our Codex: What edition - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Our Codex: What edition
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next