THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Chaos marine "allies"

Go down 
+2
Jimsolo
acolyte
6 posters
AuthorMessage
acolyte
Slave
acolyte

Chaos marine "allies" Empty
PostSubject: Chaos marine "allies"   Chaos marine "allies" I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17 2015, 02:46

Has anyone tried using an allied Helcult formation as a dark eldar "null" deployment option? Basically its 2 units of fearless cultists and a helbrute. Using a maximum 35 models per unit you get 70 wounds and a walker with an autocannon and missile launcher for 450 points that is a lot of board space denial if you bubble wrap your objectives with maximum spacing. I imagine it would really annoy drop pod players from getting pods sitting on objectives and could be really annoying for hive tyrants to move upfield when the ground is covered in models.

I know its not fluffy at all but in an 1850 ITC setting any thoughts on it being useful for holding down turn 1 and denying objectives which dark eldar have issues with and letting all the dark eldar arrive on turn 2? I don't know too many alpha strikes that can take down 70 wounds and even 35 would be hard to take first blood. Or is it just too many points not doing anything better spent on more guns?
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Chaos marine "allies"   Chaos marine "allies" I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17 2015, 03:06

I don't think it's necessary, personally. We can already actually Null Deploy.

Personally, I don't think it would be a good use of points.
Back to top Go down
flakmonkey
Sybarite
flakmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Chaos marine "allies"   Chaos marine "allies" I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17 2015, 03:57

I've played against the Helcult and it was pretty underwhelming. Average shooting from 'Brute (with re-rolls) did almost no damage. It'll do okay just standing there, but that'd be about it.
I think you'd be better off using either hard DE units or allying in Eldar.

"Whereas the duty of the Imperial Commander is either to seize or defend territory, the Dark Eldar make war only to steal. If, as a by-product of this, the are able to indulge their vile passion for murder, torture and other decadent acts, then they will joyfully do so, but this is not their primary goal"
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: Chaos marine "allies"   Chaos marine "allies" I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17 2015, 04:17

If your just trying to survive until your armada arrives then I'm fairly certain that a Scalpel Squadron, will achieve that goal for less points.
Back to top Go down
acolyte
Slave
acolyte

PostSubject: Re: Chaos marine "allies"   Chaos marine "allies" I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17 2015, 04:27

I'm thinking about the amount of board control you can get from it. Like having that big a speed bump for wraiths or wolves to get though might be worth the drop in shooting? Also being able to reliably camp and surround an objective or board quarter might be worth it? Just looking for differnt ways to skin my cat.
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: Chaos marine "allies"   Chaos marine "allies" I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17 2015, 04:39

if you're looking to camp an objective and it's anywhere near cover why not just take mandrakes or rangers instead? There are multiple ways to skin a cat, but the backside of claw hammer might not be the best way to go about it.
Back to top Go down
acolyte
Slave
acolyte

PostSubject: Re: Chaos marine "allies"   Chaos marine "allies" I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17 2015, 06:47

I guess my idea would really be not just camping but creating a 30" bubble wrap to prevent anythjng from getting anywhere near it, and have a living wall between my venoms and ravagers.

Meh maybe I just really want to use the 70 cultists I painted and looking for an excuse to do so.
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: Chaos marine "allies"   Chaos marine "allies" I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17 2015, 06:52

Perhaps, but I'm fairly certain that if THAT'S your goal you aren't going to find a more efficient tool for that job. So best of luck!
Back to top Go down
Render Noir
Slave
Render Noir

PostSubject: Re: Chaos marine "allies"   Chaos marine "allies" I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17 2015, 17:52

Mayhem Pack may have more shock value with 3 Helbrutes that Deep strike

The cultist having Fearless does give you the tarpit you are looking for
I would go with the Gorepack from KDK similar amount of wounds, 5++ save and more movement
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Chaos marine "allies"   Chaos marine "allies" I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17 2015, 22:08

acolyte wrote:
Has anyone tried using an allied Helcult formation as a dark eldar "null" deployment option? Basically its 2 units of fearless cultists and a helbrute. Using a maximum 35 models per unit you get 70 wounds and a walker with an autocannon and missile launcher for 450 points that is a lot of board space denial if you bubble wrap your objectives with maximum spacing.  I imagine it would really annoy drop pod players from getting pods sitting on objectives and could be really annoying for hive tyrants to move upfield when the ground is covered in models.

I know its not fluffy at all but in an 1850 ITC setting any thoughts on it being useful for holding down turn 1 and denying objectives which dark eldar have issues with and letting all the dark eldar arrive on turn 2? I don't know too many alpha strikes that can take down 70 wounds and even 35 would be hard to take first blood.  Or is it just too many points not doing anything better spent on more guns?

Speaking personally, if I included Chaos in my DE army, I think I'd want to do something more interesting with them.

I'd also include a jump-pack sorcerer, so that I could actually get some use out of the Mandrake I just spent 2 hours gluing wings to. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chaos marine "allies"   Chaos marine "allies" I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chaos marine "allies"
Page 1 of 1