THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Single Talos

Go down 
+5
Mushkilla
krayd
Gherma
Count Adhemar
BlackCadian
9 posters
AuthorMessage
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

Single Talos Empty
PostSubject: Single Talos   Single Talos I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21 2015, 09:46

Hi everyone!

So I've seen people include a single Talos occasionally in their lists, and I wonder if they're onto something, or just wasting points.

I'm somewhat skeptical as they're quite expensive and not exactly fast. I'm contemplating bringing one to a 850 point Highlander tourney next month, as I could only spend the points on upgrades otherwise (filled all slots). But yeah, 6 twin linked splinter shots on a durable platform... I don't know.

How have your experiences been when you've fielded a single Talos? Worth the points?

I've only fielded Taloi in a Dark Artisan so far, where lack of mobilitly isn't as much of an issue with the WWP.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Single Talos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Single Talos   Single Talos I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21 2015, 09:49

In a low point game I'd say the Talos is potentially a game winner as many of the things that counter it are not likely to be present, or not in quantity at least.
Back to top Go down
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

Single Talos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Single Talos   Single Talos I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21 2015, 12:13

I guess you're right. At least Anti MC/Tank weapons shouldn't be as widespread I suppose. And as long as they're firing at my Talos they're not firing at my skimmers.

I've been playing around with my list but most alternatives for the points that I can come up with are kinda "meh" compared to the Talos.
Back to top Go down
Gherma
Kabalite Warrior
Gherma

Single Talos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Single Talos   Single Talos I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21 2015, 13:32

I used a single talos in friendly games and I've always been happy. He (it?) is really though and people are insanely scared by him. He can resist to a lot of fire, and in CC just a few models can resist to him.

So I think if you are in a low points game with no other interesting possibility go for him and you'll be happy!
Back to top Go down
krayd
Hekatrix
krayd

Single Talos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Single Talos   Single Talos I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27 2015, 20:16

I've never used more than 1 talos (because I haven't yet assembled more than 1. I have enough parts to assemble at least 2 more, but I just haven't gotten around to it). They tend to be major fire magnets, which usually has worked out in my favor.
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

Single Talos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Single Talos   Single Talos I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27 2015, 20:41

Talos are all about threat, they are the toughest thing in our army for the cost and are quite dangerous up close so can draw a lot of fire away from the rest of your super fragile army.
Back to top Go down
@miral
Kabalite Warrior
@miral

Single Talos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Single Talos   Single Talos I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 28 2015, 05:43

I used to run two in 1850 points but switched to one talos one cronos. They are slow (as expeted) but are scary enough to make the opponent go elsewhere. They usually push enemy troops towards my Grotesquerie, get marker points and blockt those, kill something horribly turn 4+ or get shot by insane weight of firepower - with is also what they are intended to do.

Personal hint: heat lance on a single one. otherwise you might not run it to shoot something and then they never make it.

They either have to deny a flank or a marker or they have to run three turns. Don't forget they often need cover, too.
Back to top Go down
Nannermand
Slave
Nannermand

Single Talos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Single Talos   Single Talos I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08 2015, 03:46

I have three and I've run 3 together, dear artisan and two with a cronos. They all worked pretty well. Anyone else try different variations or multiple units?
Back to top Go down
Nariaklizhar
Sybarite

Single Talos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Single Talos   Single Talos I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08 2015, 04:22

I have never run one but think I need to. I play 1000pt games usually and most of my army deepstikes. I'll sometimes use an Autarch Allie to help with reserve rolls. Turn one is the hardest turn for me, because I basically just need to stay alive. I'm thinking a talos could do the trick. You think one is enough? How many for a 1500 pt game?
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

Single Talos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Single Talos   Single Talos I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08 2015, 04:23

I run two units of two with no upgrades as back/mid field objective campers and area denial. The four twinlinked splinter cannons also provide reasonable fire support for my army considering I have no other shooting in my list.

Edit: I forgot to mention they also serve as my armies anchor as the rest of my army deep strikes.

Last edited by Mushkilla on Sun Nov 08 2015, 04:26; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nannermand
Slave
Nannermand

Single Talos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Single Talos   Single Talos I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08 2015, 04:26

I talos is a risk for minimum deploy. They don't like anti tank ap 3 weapons so cover is essential. Thier small size does help if there is LOS blocking terrain.
Back to top Go down
Nariaklizhar
Sybarite

Single Talos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Single Talos   Single Talos I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08 2015, 04:29

I figure he would have to be hidden in some cover for sure, and I'll probably keep a venom or two hidden pretty well too. Yeah, I don't think a single talos for minimum deployment is a good idea either
Back to top Go down
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

Single Talos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Single Talos   Single Talos I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26 2015, 15:20

Thanks for all the replies guys!

For completion's sake, here's how my single Talos did at the Highlander tournament:

Game 1 vs Space Marines: got blown up grav weaponry, got one round of shooting in.

Game 2 vs Dark Angels: resisted an attempt to blow it up via grav weapons, then charged the grav-toting unit tying it up for a few rounds before dying in close combat. Yeah, my assault dice weren't so hot that day.

Game 3 vs Dark Angels: got ignored all game and ended up securing a table quarter for me, and shooting a few bikers. I could've assaulted a biker death star with it, but decided against it as I thought it would've lost that fight very quickly.

Game 4 vs Tau: survived until round 2 or 3, like the rest of my army.

So overall a very mediocre performance for my 120pts invested. I did however play it against a necron friend where it ended up taking quite a bit of punishment and ultimately wiping out a unit of ... what are the other version of Lichguard called? Praetorians? in CC.

The problem I have with it is that I play my army as "shooty dark eldar" which means staying at arms length and out of retaliating fire as much as possible. So if I use my talos as anything else but a shooting platform, i.e. moving forward trying to get into CC, it means it'll be a target for weapons that otherwise would not have anything in range. I do like it as a counter assault unit though!
Back to top Go down
Aroban
Kabalite Warrior
Aroban

Single Talos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Single Talos   Single Talos I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26 2015, 16:00

I Played both, a Single one and two in one unit. My experience is the unit of two is much more resilient and performing better in total. And by better I mean something like 2.5 to 3 times better than the single one (for only 2 times the Cost ;-))

I keep Thema in Cover as much as possible, it really makes a difference!

Also you will notice one talos running around with only 1 wound left, behind the other one, being able to deliver 100% of his Output when a Single talos would be dead already
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Single Talos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Single Talos   Single Talos I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Single Talos
Page 1 of 1