THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

When and how did you all start?

Go down 
+8
Evil Space Elves
Klaivex Charondyr
Squidmaster
Lord_Alino
nexs
stilgar27
CptMetal
Razkien
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Razkien
Kabalite Warrior
Razkien

When and how did you all start? Empty
PostSubject: When and how did you all start?   When and how did you all start? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04 2015, 21:19

Topic may have been done before, but I'm bored at work and figured I'd ask out of curiosity.

I started back in 3rd with an Imperial Guard army. I had sold my models when I finished High School and picked up some DE a couple years later, which I've stuck with since.

Anyone have an old favorite version that they started in? I find myself missing some of the 3rd edition shenanigans at times, but that might just be nostalgia Razz
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: When and how did you all start?   When and how did you all start? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04 2015, 21:26

I started with Chaos Marines with the third edition codex. That really bad codex. Was disappointed with the last two codices. I haven't played them since the last codex dropped and that's actually sad.

Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: When and how did you all start?   When and how did you all start? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04 2015, 21:53

I started 40k during the second edition in the mid 90s.  I was in high school and I still occasionally play against a few of the same guys that got me in to the hobby over 20 years ago.

I've quit many times over the years, mostly due to disgust with GW.  Funny thing is that I rage quit over the first version of the dark eldar, which I considered both silly and a lazy design.  The sharp turn towards the "grimdark" did not help.

The hobby has brought me much entertainment over the years.  I most enjoy ebaying gw stuff and restoring/repairing/converting models.  I have a dedicated game room with filled with table and... thousands of GW models. Over the years I've played everything but tyranids, tau, and up until recently space marines.

Sadly in all those years I still haven't learned to paint properly.  I've always had people who were willing to paint models for me.
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych
nexs

PostSubject: Re: When and how did you all start?   When and how did you all start? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04 2015, 22:49

I started playing 40k probably 12 months ago (just after the new DE codex dropped). That was the first time i'd ever played 40k - I'd been a fantasy boy.

Its not coincidental that the time I started 40k is the same time Fantasy End Times and AoS started coming out....

Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: When and how did you all start?   When and how did you all start? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08 2015, 17:34

I am Alex Klein, and this is my story.
November something or rather 2012

It was a dark and stormy night . . . The FNM room was cold and dimly lit . . . All was silent except for the obnoxious people in the other room rolling dice and playing with their dolls . . . Then, as I went back there to see what they were doing, I was consumed by the darkness. I too began to play with these dolls and learn the art of war. I left FNM and began to slaughter my foes . . . And this is how I became a poor man that spends every penny he has on dolls . . . spiky, spiky dolls that have scarred his hands. (Thanks GW. Bravo. 10/10. Nothing like getting hurt by the toys I love most.)
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: When and how did you all start?   When and how did you all start? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09 2015, 09:27

I joined in the dying months of 2nd edition, unaware of the impending new release.
I picked up anything and everything, slapping them together in ways only small children can, and yet somehow moat of the my mashed together army was still a majority of Chaos and Eldar. Chaos Eldar if you will.
So suddenly, maybe seven months or so after I joined the hobby, 3rd edition arrived, and I was presented with spiky Eldar. Thus have I been a citizen of Commoragh since the beginning.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
Klaivex Charondyr
Wych
Klaivex Charondyr

PostSubject: Re: When and how did you all start?   When and how did you all start? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09 2015, 10:10

2nd Edition Chaos, when the Dark Millenium box was released... so around 20 years ago.
Continued to build Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tyranids, Traitor Guard, Harlequins, Dark Mechanicum and a small Band of Salamanders since then.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: When and how did you all start?   When and how did you all start? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09 2015, 13:35

Started playing Eldar in 1989, back when they were space pirates. Went on to play Harlequins, Imperial Guard, Space Marines, and damned near every other army in the game aside from Necrons, Tyranids, and Squats.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: When and how did you all start?   When and how did you all start? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09 2015, 23:48

Bought Rogue Trader at Games Day in London in 1987 along with a box of the plastic marines. My mate bought the metal Orks and we played our first game that evening. Been playing more or less since then, with a short break from start of 3e to end of 4e.

Pilosocereus
Hellion
Pilosocereus

Location : Earth, I think. Well yes, in some form or another: Earth.

PostSubject: Re: When and how did you all start?   When and how did you all start? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 10 2015, 19:48

I started when my friends forced me to play. Damn it, My fist game. I won by rolling three 6s in a row. Never rolled well again. But you can see I stayed.

Last edited by Pilosocereus on Wed Nov 11 2015, 07:27; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: When and how did you all start?   When and how did you all start? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11 2015, 03:19

Pilosocereus wrote:
forced me to play - My fist game - rolling three 6s.  

Your fist game sounds scary. lol!
Back to top Go down
Pilosocereus
Hellion
Pilosocereus

Location : Earth, I think. Well yes, in some form or another: Earth.

PostSubject: Re: When and how did you all start?   When and how did you all start? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11 2015, 07:28

Had I remembered the r, I wouldn't have so many bruises.

"After spraying your project, allow the solvent to completely evaporate before mating for immediate bond.  Once mated, you cannot reposition your substrates."

(-http://www.adhesives.org/adhesives-sealants/adhesive-selection/types-of-glue-glue-tips)
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: When and how did you all start?   When and how did you all start? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11 2015, 08:49

And that was when Pilosocereus realized that when you challenge a marine with a power fist to a game of bloody knuckles, you're gonna have a bad day.
Back to top Go down
Nariaklizhar
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: When and how did you all start?   When and how did you all start? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11 2015, 09:02

Starter with battle box set with 20 DE Warriors and 10 Marines with a land speeder back in third edition. I was with my buddy walking in the local mall when I was like 14 and passed a games work store. In the window was a life size space Marine and I HAD to check it out. My buddy and I played a few practice games there at the store. I was the Dark Eldar, he was the SM. I bought the battle box 2 hrs later. Havnt looked back. Dark Eldar have been the only army I have ever owned and played. (Mostly cause I'm cheap and have too many other hobbies)
Back to top Go down
Razkien
Kabalite Warrior
Razkien

PostSubject: Re: When and how did you all start?   When and how did you all start? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12 2015, 06:41

Good stories, all Very Happy

I had a friend who had bought the SM / DE box with another buddy. I went over to their house to a watch them play a game and I was hooked after that. I remember not liking the DE much because I wasn't a huge fan of the models back then. The funny thing is... I would love to own those models out of that box now Razz

Back to top Go down
Nariaklizhar
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: When and how did you all start?   When and how did you all start? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12 2015, 06:52

75% of my army is from those old models; warriors, Heamonculi, scourges, talos, raiders, Incubi, ravagers. The only new stuff I own are venoms, a razorwing, 10 wyches which I don't play, and some wracks (which are my favorite models)
Back to top Go down
Vasara
Incognito assault marine
Vasara

PostSubject: Re: When and how did you all start?   When and how did you all start? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12 2015, 07:02

1990 Space Crusade
1992 Epic Space Marine
1993 Rogue trader
1997-2010 Break
2010-> Tournaments

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When and how did you all start?   When and how did you all start? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When and how did you all start?
Page 1 of 1