THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Void Shield Generator

Go down 
+12
Hellstrom
Render Noir
killedbydeath
Squidmaster
lessthanjeff
hydranixx
CptMetal
Xm0shcryptX
Razkien
colinsherlow
Talos
Its_Rumble
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
killedbydeath
Hellion
killedbydeath

Void Shield Generator - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03 2016, 08:23

Well you could do the math... Will you lose or save points or in other words, will the void shield cost be less than the lose of models by not having it. Have much do long range weapons and alpha strikes hurt your army. if the answer is more than the void shield cost, then you should take one. If less then don't.
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03 2016, 10:37

The VSG is a model in your army so you can place it within 3" of an objective and claim it. Give models a 4+ cover save, 3+ with Nightshields. Have a better view of the field.
Give more LoS blocking. Regenerates shields.

Use a stand in model or jar, 2litre bottle and give it a try.

I have has been nothing but great for me. You are going to start seeing them more and more tournaments
Back to top Go down
Hellstrom
Wych
Hellstrom

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03 2016, 13:54

If you aren't using the original model of something like this, I wouldn't allow it on the table. It's a pay to win item .... you aren't having it if you haven't even paid to win ......
Back to top Go down
killedbydeath
Hellion
killedbydeath

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03 2016, 15:09

Lol it's not even possible to buy it from gw Very Happy
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03 2016, 15:25

And we are dark Eldar. Our technology is looking way cooler!
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03 2016, 15:41

Hellstrom wrote:
If you aren't using the original model of something like this, I wouldn't allow it on the table.  It's a pay to win item .... you aren't having it if you haven't even paid to win ......

If someone has made a decent version of it then I have no problem, given that GW don't actually sell it anymore. Also non-Imperial factions might like to have a version of the building with their own aesthetic rather than the Imperial version.
Back to top Go down
Razkien
Kabalite Warrior
Razkien

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03 2016, 22:43

As long as it looks nice, I would have no qualms with anyone using it. Assuming, of course it's converted nicely and looks like it fits the theme of the army.

I wouldn't play against anyone who wouldn't let me field it if it looks nice, as well as call them some bad names.

P.S.

I don't generally have any problems in this regard though. Even the one tournament I go to each year allows "looks as" stuff. My play group has already encouraged me to "Proxy" it a few times to see if I like it before trying to put something together myself. I do however think it is important to be of scale and look thematically correct if you're making it from scratch.
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04 2016, 04:55

I've used the VSG generator a few times and it does leaps and bounds for my army. Combo with ruins and its trully an insane boon to my army. And i have no problem getting it filled even against DPA. It has always gone beyond my expectations, well worth it. It's a must for my list atm.
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04 2016, 07:11

I just made a fairly nice one the other day.

Void Shield Generator - Page 2 12657353_10153389691712816_2498344751057850445_o

Going to make some hovering platform stairs and Possibly a smaller platform a little higher up. Everything is magnetised to make it easier to move around. It's really close to scale.

We call it the Phallus palace
Back to top Go down
Scrz
Sybarite
Scrz

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04 2016, 09:53

colinsherlow wrote:
Could deploying it on the table be characterised as a "dick move"? cheers
Back to top Go down
Hellstrom
Wych
Hellstrom

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04 2016, 10:24

colinsherlow wrote:
I just made a fairly nice one the other day.

Void Shield Generator - Page 2 12657353_10153389691712816_2498344751057850445_o

Going to make some hovering platform stairs and Possibly a smaller platform a little higher up.  Everything is magnetised to make it easier to move around.  It's really close to scale.

Do you have the measurements of the original?
Back to top Go down
Duke Daedric
Hellion
Duke Daedric

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04 2016, 10:25

@colinsherlow

What did u use to build it?

Looks great btw!
Back to top Go down
lessthanjeff
Sybarite
lessthanjeff

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04 2016, 10:46

Hellstrom wrote:
If you aren't using the original model of something like this, I wouldn't allow it on the table.  It's a pay to win item .... you aren't having it if you haven't even paid to win ......

I hope you make sure your army is WYSIWYG right down to the close combat weapons, pistols, and grenades on your army then. Otherwise that would seem like a very hypocritical attitude to me.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04 2016, 12:25

I think that hell has been sarcastic.

I thought about building some grotesque psychic monster but I'm not sure how to do that
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04 2016, 13:56

I Googled the VSG measurements and had a buddy measure his. The base is 5" and 6" at some parts. Platforms are about 3" and 6" high. Structure is around 10" tall.

I used some resin parts from a third party company. A cork coaster for teapots from a dollar store for the base, the large GW oval base (the base used for flyers and wraithknight). And cork sheets that you can find in stores like staples
Back to top Go down
Sigmaril
Sybarite
Sigmaril

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17 2016, 02:44

I got myself one of the real ones, and I've been using it quite a bit, to a varying degree of success. It definately requires the right kind of army to earn it's value.

Venom spam: Don't even go there. Venom spam (and much of the dark eldar tactica in general, really) rely heavily on their manouverability, and the VSG has a tendency to tie you down in a 12" bubble. This means the enemy's assault units will have no difficulty catching you. Especially fast units like Necron Wraiths or Thunderwolves are problematic. When they get close, you have to move away, resulting in the enemy suddenly being inside your VSG shield, and you trying to penetrate the shields with poison (good luck with that). All in all quite fun, if you're not too serious about your winning Smile

In order for it to work decently, you need at least one good counter-assault unit nearby, to deter assault units to close in. Recently I've taken up bringing both a CorpseThief Claw and a WraithKnight. They absolutely LOVE it. CtC even get to Scout ahead, and still be inside the bubble.

A major advantage is that one of the absolutely greatest threats to WKs and CtC is mostly worthless if you can deploy right. Namely Drop Pod Grav Weapons! Shields cannot be immobilised, so grav cannot penetrate them at all. Especially Tau benefit greatly from this, as they can selectively intercept the units actually able to hurt the shields, while leaving the grav and the flamers standing impotently outside.

And for those wanting to build their own:
The base, from 'toe' to 'toe' is 5" square, with the inner edge being 3 1/2" wide.
The top of the base is 3" square and the base sits at 2 1/2" tall without the gears.
The gears are 1/8" thick and are roughly 2 1/2" in diameter.
The pillars are 6 1/2" inches tall, with a 1/8" thick platform sitting on the 3 1/2" mark.
Fully assembled the building would roughly 9 1/2" tall at the Tesla Orbs, with battlements at 2 1/2" and 6".
This means that to create your own, you would need to make a building that would, on average, sit on a 4" base, with a 3" square tower and overall, stand 6 1/2" in height.
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17 2016, 05:54

Yeah a good counter assault unit is great with the VSG. Or for most armies anyways. I also use an inquisitor with two henchmen units to fill the shield areas for cheap and to tie up units that could be annoying. Especially with the ld10 stubborn inquisitor. It's great!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Void Shield Generator
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2