THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

How do you equip your Razorwing(s)?

Go down 
+9
Doman
Painjunky
Mr Believer
RCZ
SCP Yeeman
CptMetal
drdoom222222
MarcoAvrelis
hydranixx
13 posters
AuthorMessage
hydranixx
Wych
hydranixx

How do you equip your Razorwing(s)? Empty
PostSubject: How do you equip your Razorwing(s)?   How do you equip your Razorwing(s)? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15 2016, 08:55

Hi team,

I was looking for some of your opinions on equipping Razorwings' weapon systems. For argument's sake, lets assume we're looking at a fairly well rounded, TAC list.

Missiles
I've always believes Monoscythe to be the best for it's price, as in, for free, as the strength 6 can eat whole blobs of infantry or ID things like an Imperial Guard Command Squad quite well.
Does anyone routinely run any of the other missiles?

Dark Lance Weapons
I like to think of Razorwings as dedicated infantry removal, and prefer the free Dissies. However I can see the merit in the Lances to double up as anti tank, and shoot other fliers. Dissies seem 'decent' against other fliers too. Anyone played both to a fair degree care to compare them? What's the preferred loadout for TAC?

Splinter Weapon
It's not a venom, so buying a Splinter Cannon seems like less of an auto include. If we are taking Lances, we're probably aiming at armoured targets as soon as the missiles go, so is there any point upgrading to a Splinter Cannon?

Cheers!

"Of course you should fight fire with fire! You should fight everything with fire."
Back to top Go down
MarcoAvrelis
Kabalite Warrior
MarcoAvrelis

PostSubject: Re: How do you equip your Razorwing(s)?   How do you equip your Razorwing(s)? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15 2016, 09:27

I go monoscythes

For other weapons, I have one with dissies and sc, and two with DL and TL-SR. I ususally field all three, but if I can't (due to tournament comp), I field one of each type. The Dissie-one has so far performed the best. Once killed 1/3rd of a tau army single-handedly. (You do not have to launch all 4 missiles at the same time. firing all 3 weapons + 1 missile a turn is great too unless you're jinking every turn).

Remember, flyers can shoot 4 guns and snapfire the rest, so when you go full dakka with the 4 missiles, don't forget about snap-firing the remaining guns.

Kabalite Warrior
drdoom222222

PostSubject: Re: How do you equip your Razorwing(s)?   How do you equip your Razorwing(s)? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15 2016, 09:39

I always run my razorwings with stock Monoscythe missiles and Dark lances and routinely fire all missiles on the turn they arrive, then use dark lances for AT or Anti air (force them to jink at least). I never take splinter cannon or other missiles as I still want to keep it as cheap as possible.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: How do you equip your Razorwing(s)?   How do you equip your Razorwing(s)? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15 2016, 12:02

I use them with Lances to get a bit more anti tank weaponry. I'd use them much more often when I could be sure that they arrive the second turn.

Wych
hydranixx

PostSubject: Re: How do you equip your Razorwing(s)?   How do you equip your Razorwing(s)? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15 2016, 21:20

An Autarch is a good step in the direction of ensuring a turn two appearance. Crimson Hunters are tempting if we go this path, but I think Razorwings are the best jack of all trade fliers for their price.

How often do you include Razorwings in mono Dark Eldar @CptMetal ? How many?

"Of course you should fight fire with fire! You should fight everything with fire."
Back to top Go down
SCP Yeeman
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: How do you equip your Razorwing(s)?   How do you equip your Razorwing(s)? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15 2016, 22:40

When I take Razorwings I usually go in pairs. If I takeo ne its with a Crimson Hunter. I will always take Monoscythes Missiles on mine as the 5 pts a pop is too expensive to justify for other missiles. The Shatterfield Missiles would be my go to if I wanted a missile and pay for it.

For guns, I always go with Lances. The Lances give you the Anti-Flier and Anti-FMC when needed. We have so much AI in our army that using Dissies to me on this platform is a waste. The Dissies to me are not strong enough for the good fliers and AV11 needing 6's is too unreliable. Most FMCs are T6 or higher depending on Iron arm and such so Dissies still fall flat in that area I think too. I also put the cannon on. For 10pts, putting 6 more shots at a FMC really hurts them. If I am point strained it is one of the first things off however. I will say though that when firing at FMCs it makes a big difference and gives you more bang for your buck.

Strategy wise I try to use my missiles as soon as possible because if I jink I can always fire my lances and Cannon but never the missiles. In a pinch, shoot a missile at a FMC for a last wound if you can; that is unless you play by ITC and they changed the rule saying you cannot do this.
Back to top Go down
RCZ
Kabalite Warrior
RCZ

PostSubject: Re: How do you equip your Razorwing(s)?   How do you equip your Razorwing(s)? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16 2016, 07:17

Lances everyday because you know, other, better, deadlier flyers.
I usually go with 4x S6 AP5 missiles, but if i know a wraithknight will be on the table i could switch for the fleshbane missiles and splinter cannon.
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: How do you equip your Razorwing(s)?   How do you equip your Razorwing(s)? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16 2016, 07:42

I always take two monoscythes and two necrotoxins on my single Razorwing. I find the ability to wound high toughness stuff invaluable. For the rest I take two lances and a splinter cannon. At 1750 points, one or two Razorwings seems like a good amount, and if I had a second I'd take disintegrator cannons. Obviously how useful multiple Razorwings will be depends on what else is in your list, but two of them isn't too much of a risk if they don't show up right when you want them. If I was fielding an RSR detachment I'd take three, two with disintegrators and one with lances. I just never find the lances to be that helpful, and they split the purpose of the model too much for my liking.

Wych
Painjunky

PostSubject: Re: How do you equip your Razorwing(s)?   How do you equip your Razorwing(s)? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16 2016, 09:32

I often take a single RW stock. Cheap and cheerful!

2 turns of shooting 2 monos + 2 dissies is pretty good bang for your points. If it survives past that its a bonus.

They draw an inordinate amount of fire from AA and other flyers that would other wise be punishing our skimmers so that's a win right there!

2 DL (for me) means 1 miss and the other fails to pen or is saved. Using DL RWs for anti-air is a waste of time and points. Keep them as dedicated ground pounders. Dissies are also good at anti 2+ which we can struggle with as our DLs are often busy doin the AT thing.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: How do you equip your Razorwing(s)?   How do you equip your Razorwing(s)? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16 2016, 11:29

I use them when I'm playing against horde armies regularly. Marine enemy? Not so much. But Tyraniden, guard, Orks? Yes please. More often than not they fly in alone but I like the idea of taking two actually.

Slave

PostSubject: Re: How do you equip your Razorwing(s)?   How do you equip your Razorwing(s)? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16 2016, 17:01

I always use dark lances, s6 ap5 missiles and twin-linked rifle. But now, mainly because I saw on tournament two razorback spams, and Tau piranhas spam I take into consideration also s7 missiles. It is easy to hit with large blast two vehicles, and good pen is always welcome ;-). To kill infantry I use Grotesques, so my main concern is AT.
Back to top Go down
dumpeal
Hekatrix
dumpeal

PostSubject: Re: How do you equip your Razorwing(s)?   How do you equip your Razorwing(s)? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16 2016, 19:05

lances and 2X monoscythe, 2Xnecrotoxin.

Having 2 sets of missiles allow you to fire a first salve of 2 missiles, and watch the result before firing 2 others. As they are 2 different types of weapons, you fire them at different time.
Back to top Go down
Creeping Darkness
Wych
Creeping Darkness

PostSubject: Re: How do you equip your Razorwing(s)?   How do you equip your Razorwing(s)? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17 2016, 22:32

Painjunky wrote:
I often take a single RW stock. Cheap and cheerful!

Yep, my approach too. Since I've completely given up on anti-air, I tend to run it as a pure ground attack vehicle.

Typically I'll come on and strafe a squad with two blasts plus dissies, then jink when the enemy aircraft try and take me down, hopefully surviving to make another run two turns hence. If it can take the heat of a plane or two for a couple of turns and leaves a hole in an enemy unit then it's done its job.

I find leaving a couple of missiles on it for 'next turn' (or two after I am inevitably forced to jink) incentivises my opponent to target it nicely.

Back to top Go down
http://thecreepingdarkness.blogspot.com
Rokuro
Wych
Rokuro

PostSubject: Re: How do you equip your Razorwing(s)?   How do you equip your Razorwing(s)? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18 2016, 00:01

I haven't actually played with a Razorwing yet (my first choice of a flier was the Crimson Hunter), but I will eventually get one and I have already made planse for how I will use it:

Monoscythes would be my missiles of choice. The lack of AP usually makes Necrotoxin and Shatterfield Missiles too much of a gamble for me. The only enemy I would consider using them against are Chaos Daemons, who have no armor for the most part.
I would magnetize the Dark Lances/Disintegrator Cannons, so I could pick the weapon depending if I'm going to face more infantry or more vehicles.
And I would always buy the Splinter Cannon, because it just makes the twin-linked Splinter Rifle look pathetic by comparison.

Last edited by Rokuro on Fri Mar 18 2016, 18:41; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Silverglade
Wych
Silverglade

PostSubject: Re: How do you equip your Razorwing(s)?   How do you equip your Razorwing(s)? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18 2016, 17:49

I generally upgrade to lances.

I used to do the splinter cannon, but find I rarely even get to fire it (other than snap shooting) so it is 10 points better used elsewhere.

Since necrotoxin missiles are free, I often use those, but I'm usually playing nids or GK, so the fleshbane missiles are great. I may try the trick of two of each though, as that's a good tactic to possibly save wasting missiles.
Back to top Go down
Painjunky
Wych
Painjunky

PostSubject: Re: How do you equip your Razorwing(s)?   How do you equip your Razorwing(s)? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19 2016, 11:22

Creeping Darkness wrote:
Typically I'll come on and strafe a squad with two blasts plus dissies, then jink when the enemy aircraft try and take me down, hopefully surviving to make another run two turns hence. If it can take the heat of a plane or two for a couple of turns and leaves a hole in an enemy unit then it's done its job.

I find leaving a couple of missiles on it for 'next turn' (or two after I am inevitably forced to jink) incentivises my opponent to target it nicely.

Me too. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you equip your Razorwing(s)?   How do you equip your Razorwing(s)? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you equip your Razorwing(s)?
Page 1 of 1