THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

5th edition codex

Go down 
+12
stilgar27
Barking Agatha
Azdrubael
Rokuro
BetrayTheWorld
@miral
amishprn86
The Shredder
CptMetal
CurstAlchemist
Jimsolo
Deathwasp11
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

5th edition codex - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5th edition codex   5th edition codex - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 11 2016, 23:11

Mushkilla's Repugnant Ramblers were pretty much optimal when our covens book first came out.  I would not call it a freakshow list though - as there really isn't a way to exploit the leadership penalties in a purely covens list.

Example battle report

I think it's probably a bit less competitive now due to things like wulfen that can 1 hit grots and ignore their FNP or a Nurgle Tallyband that can stack -3 toughness on to a unit.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: 5th edition codex   5th edition codex - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 11 2016, 23:41

To me a freakshow list is Grots, Talos, Cronos, Wrack, Haemis, not a set list or negative pens but units that are freakish.

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: 5th edition codex   5th edition codex - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 11 2016, 23:43

amishprn86 wrote:
To me a freakshow list is Grots, Talos, Cronos, Wrack, Haemis, not a set list or negative pens but units that are freakish.

Fair enough but when pretty much anyone else is talking about Freakshows they mean an army that screws with your Leadership and then punishes you with psychic shrieks, morale checks etc.

Deathwasp11
Hellion
Deathwasp11

PostSubject: Re: 5th edition codex   5th edition codex - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 11 2016, 23:55

Ad for as I know the "freakshow" list is a leadership manipulating army thought up by and named by jimsolo. A coven army isn't a freakshow. Of course you can call your army what ever you like.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: 5th edition codex   5th edition codex - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 12 2016, 00:18

Confusion all cleared up. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych
Calyptra

PostSubject: Re: 5th edition codex   5th edition codex - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 12 2016, 06:59

Jimsolo wrote:
Confusion all cleared up. Very Happy

That seems optimistic. Smile

Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: 5th edition codex   5th edition codex - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 12 2016, 07:35

Well I was unaware thats how others saw it, can you give me a list example of a "true" freakshow army?

I actaully love stores, myths etc.. of Body dysmorphic disorder, Hellboy movie take on him, or House of 1000 Corpses at the end.

So when I think freak show I think coven grotesque monsters, thats why I think that way tho.

Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: 5th edition codex   5th edition codex - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 12 2016, 08:21

Take a look at what Skari does. He posted a discussion on this topic called "One Spirit", which basically combined all the eldar factions for maximum LD manipulation fun. If you watch his BatReps on youtube, you can see him forcing enemy units to run off the board, or flee and get swept. Beautiful stuff...
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: 5th edition codex   5th edition codex - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 12 2016, 09:06

fisheyes wrote:
Take a look at what Skari does. He posted a discussion on this topic called "One Spirit", which basically combined all the eldar factions for maximum LD manipulation fun. If you watch his BatReps on youtube, you can see him forcing enemy units to run off the board, or flee and get swept. Beautiful stuff...

Will do.

But doesnt 1/2 the -LD tests, weapons and powers not even affect most armies? I even think some of them say cant affect SM's :/

Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: 5th edition codex   5th edition codex - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 12 2016, 09:08

Psychic shriek is working on Marines and it's beautiful to kill an entire squad because of a big leadership penalty bubble.

Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: 5th edition codex   5th edition codex - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 12 2016, 09:37

amishprn86 wrote:
Well I was unaware thats how others saw it, can you give me a list example of a "true" freakshow army?

I took a Freakshow list to an event at Warhammer World (GW HQ in Nottingham). List and report can be found here

stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: 5th edition codex   5th edition codex - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 12 2016, 13:07

It's a shame we can't really ally with daemons, as the quantity of psykers along with new artifacts (like the screaming bell) might actually convince me to make a grotesquerie/harelquin/incursion freakshow.  The daemon formations also dish out penalties (either -1 strength/toughness or WS/initiative) based on leadership so that'd just be more synergy.

And if you want to point out how un-fluffy this is, there was a point when eldar devolving (or evolving depending on your perspective) directly in to daemonettes was canon tongue.  Sometimes I think GW sets up barriers just to ruin my conversion ideas.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: 5th edition codex   5th edition codex - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 12 2016, 23:15

@fisheyes: Skari started doing Ld shenanigans? In his Eldar unity threads, I hadn't seen anything about it. When I mentioned it, he pretty much ignored me, so I stopped reading (figuring my input wasn't wanted). That's cool, though.

@amishprn: Common misconception, actually. The only thing most armies are immune to is Fear and Soulfright. Terror, Psychic Shriek, Hallucinations, and Dominate still work on most armies. So does Death is Not Enough!, Mirror of Minds, Laugh of Sorrows, and Hallucinogen Grenade Launchers. Even when facing armies that have lots of Fearless units, only MODELS with the Fearless rule are immune to Soulfright. (So Tyranids and blob Guard will still have vulnerable models in their Fearless units, and Chaos Daemons have no protection at all, since they don't have the Fearless rule.)

@stilgar: We can totally ally with Daemons. (And the new Slaanesh psychic powers make doing so totally worthwhile!) Since both our armies have a high DS capacity, avoiding one another to flank the enemy isn't that big of a problem. Necrons are another good frenemy to bring, as BOTH their C'Tan bring Freakshow tools (including one that can be shot into melee!) and can be taken with a cheap formation. (Conclave of the Burning One).
Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: 5th edition codex   5th edition codex - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri May 13 2016, 00:08

For some reason I had thought dark eldar and daemons were Come the Apocalypse. I guess it wouldn't really matter that much either way considering the deployment options.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: 5th edition codex   5th edition codex - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri May 13 2016, 00:26

They are CTA, but unlike 6th, where you couldn't ally at all with CTA, in 7th they are just Desperate Allies that you can't deploy within 12" of. (Remember, Deep Strike is a form of deployment.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5th edition codex   5th edition codex - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

5th edition codex
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3