THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabal of the Poison Rose

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ColoredBanana
Slave
ColoredBanana

Kabal of the Poison Rose Empty
PostSubject: Kabal of the Poison Rose   Kabal of the Poison Rose I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04 2011, 17:14

So, ok, as I'm starting a Dark Eldar army I ave begun to reflect over how slow my painting is. So I decided for the first time ever, that I'm going to share my painting.
This, hopefully will keep me motivated to paint all those lovely miniatures.

First up my Kabalite Warriors, that I chose to be my first pack. (I will order more in the end of the month).

Kabal of the Poison Rose 2011-111

Kabal of the Poison Rose 2011-112

So, yeah, you noticed huh?
Yes, they're unpainted but I have only just assembled them today! A few more pics will hopefully be up by the end of this week.

(Sorry for the picture quality, I blame my phone camera and poor lighting)

ColoredBanana
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Poison Rose   Kabal of the Poison Rose I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04 2011, 19:11

I like the poses of a couple of them. Have you figured out your paint scheme already?
Back to top Go down
ColoredBanana
Slave
ColoredBanana

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Poison Rose   Kabal of the Poison Rose I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04 2011, 20:58

OUTDATED PAINT SCHEME! New one further down.

Okay, I couldn't wait to paint the first mini, and what a PAIN it was.
After so many years painting power armour, the transition was not easy.

But I tried, and I think this will be my standard warrior. Maybe I'll switch the spot colour for something else (blue maybe? or possibly red?).

Here's 4 pics!

Front

Kabal of the Poison Rose 2011-113

Side

Kabal of the Poison Rose 2011-114

Side

Kabal of the Poison Rose 2011-115

Back

Kabal of the Poison Rose 2011-116

Any suggsetions? Add, take away, change?

So C&C welcome!

Last edited by ColoredBanana on Fri Oct 14 2011, 23:47; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Poison Rose   Kabal of the Poison Rose I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04 2011, 21:22

Which do you consider the spot color, the orange or the green Wink

For myself, I like models to either have a cool or a warm color scheme, and usually only mix in very minor ways. With the prevalence of the black and the cooler green I find the orange to be slightly jarring and it feels too...bright? I *love* the glow effect on the eyes though.

I'd probably take the orange into a cooler color, or maybe shift the black and grey part of the scheme to something with a little more 'pop' something about it feels unbalanced to me (disclaimed: I suxx0r at paint schemes - so apply liberal grains of a sodium of your choice to this commentary)
Back to top Go down
ColoredBanana
Slave
ColoredBanana

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Poison Rose   Kabal of the Poison Rose I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04 2011, 21:43

Haha Very Happy I do consider orange to be the spot colour. And I was unsure on how it turned out.
My real problem is, finding a colour that fits. Im thinking either blue, or purple.

Desicions, desicions...
Back to top Go down
Cailos
Kabalite Warrior
Cailos

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Poison Rose   Kabal of the Poison Rose I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04 2011, 21:53

ColoredBanana wrote:
Haha Very Happy I do consider orange to be the spot colour. And I was unsure on how it turned out.
My real problem is, finding a colour that fits. Im thinking either blue, or purple.

Desicions, desicions...
Purple would be nice and its really inbetween a warm and cool color so it will fit with the green which is also inbetween a warm and cool color.
Back to top Go down
ColoredBanana
Slave
ColoredBanana

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Poison Rose   Kabal of the Poison Rose I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 19:28

Thanks for the input guys, it would be awesome if you could give your opinion on one small thing: The left arm and leg.

Should they be fully painted green, or just the 'armor scales' (for lack of better words).

Here's pics, as you see I've left lower part of the left arm/leg for now.

Front

Kabal of the Poison Rose 2011-117

Side

Kabal of the Poison Rose 2011-118

Side

Kabal of the Poison Rose 2011-119

Back

Kabal of the Poison Rose 2011-120

Thanks again guys!
And as always C&C welcome. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cailos
Kabalite Warrior
Cailos

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Poison Rose   Kabal of the Poison Rose I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 19:30

I like just the coloring of the armour plating (I think that is the wording you were looking for).
Back to top Go down
ColoredBanana
Slave
ColoredBanana

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Poison Rose   Kabal of the Poison Rose I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 19:47

Yes, armor plating thank you. Laughing

I'm leaning towards painting it black/grey too. I shall sleep on it and get back to you all.

So now, I'm setting a goal: Paint the whole squad to the end of the month. Because that is when I'll order the rest of my 1000 point list.
Back to top Go down
Cailos
Kabalite Warrior
Cailos

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Poison Rose   Kabal of the Poison Rose I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 19:57

I was saying that the green looked cool.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Poison Rose   Kabal of the Poison Rose I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 20:29

I like this new one a lot better than the first one.

I like the green touches - and I think I like the green all on one side rather than the green in opposing quadrants like the first warrior...though I'll admit some of this preference might just be because the purple is competing less than the orange did.

I would strongly advise against going black, just because I think black armies get boring (I've got a Raven Guard army - they're painted...they're boring on the table top). The green gives it a nice little bit of showoff flair I think, and adds contrast for the black and grey to work off of.

My thoughts,
Thor.
Back to top Go down
ColoredBanana
Slave
ColoredBanana

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Poison Rose   Kabal of the Poison Rose I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 20:40

@Cailos Oh I see, thanks! haha Laughing

@Thor665 I was not about to paint the whole thing black.
You see the lower left leg? and the lower left arm? They are unpainted. I was asking if I should paint those areas green or Black/Grey.

and thanks! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Poison Rose   Kabal of the Poison Rose I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07 2011, 18:02

Howdy.

If I follow all of this correctly, you are thinking of a split color scheme. That's quite a challenge to make it look good and not too cluttered.

With that said, my thoughts on the later pictures of the warrior with the question on the lower leg greave and fore arm.

I think they should be painted in the green. It looks incomplete if left with the grey-black.

The orange is too strong an accent color for the green you have going on. I would recommend darkening to a red with very light orange highlights. That will tone back the intensity and still keep the red-green contrast.
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
ColoredBanana
Slave
ColoredBanana

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Poison Rose   Kabal of the Poison Rose I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 09 2011, 17:45

So, yet another update (I'm really speeding up, compared to my usual speed Very Happy)

I pondered on the black vs green leg/arm to the last minute, until I finally decided that I was going to go with... *Drumroll* Green!

Also I tried basing them (I have 2 close friends playing space wolves, so they were an obvious choice for my bases).

Pics:

Kabal of the Poison Rose 2011-121

Kabal of the Poison Rose 2011-122

Kabal of the Poison Rose 2011-123

Kabal of the Poison Rose 2011-124

Kabal of the Poison Rose 2011-125

I also tried some (fumbling, mind you) freehand work on the sybarite's banner.

notes:

* All the displaced flock on the picture's has been amended.
*The blood on the ground will be glossed, I'm just out of gloss varnish for now.

And that's it!

C&C welcome as always!

Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Poison Rose   Kabal of the Poison Rose I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 09 2011, 18:41

I'm really digging the scheme - good stuff!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Poison Rose   Kabal of the Poison Rose I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabal of the Poison Rose
Page 1 of 1