THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

The Kabal of the Golden Rose

Go down 
+4
Evil Space Elves
Deyfluff
Lord Clazaryn
Garion
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Garion
Kabalite Warrior
Garion

The Kabal of the Golden Rose Empty
PostSubject: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2012, 12:58

When I started playing DE I was caught by the fluff of the Obsidian Rose but I didn't like very much all those hard edge highlights so I decided to make my own color scheme for what I imagine being a group of elitarian Dark Eldar from the Obsidian Rose: the Kabal of the Golden Rose

Yesterday I was finally able to slap some paints on three test models:

The Kabal of the Golden Rose Dark+eldar+colours+scheme+WIP+05

The Kabal of the Golden Rose Dark+eldar+colours+scheme+WIP+07

The Kabal of the Golden Rose Dark+eldar+colours+scheme+WIP+06

The scheme is based on greens and reds, yellows and purples.

The plan is to paint the cloth areas in purple and the helm and main chest plates of the Incubus white. Should I do the same for the shoulder pads and paint them white?

I posted more pictures on my blog, !here

C&C very welcome!

G
Back to top Go down
http://apaintingchaos.blogspot.it
Lord Clazaryn
Kabalite Warrior
Lord Clazaryn

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2012, 21:12

Wow, thats really striking and already looking great. Looking forward to seeing some finished models. Do you plan to highlight the gold, give it some tone?
Back to top Go down
Garion
Kabalite Warrior
Garion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2012, 21:18

Thank you!

The gold in the last two picture is already highlighted up to an almost white-ish gold. What I still have to do is to put in some shading to give it more definition. I'm currently thinking about some purple / reddish shades insted of the usual black / brown

would they work?

Back to top Go down
Lord Clazaryn
Kabalite Warrior
Lord Clazaryn

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2012, 21:27

To be honest I wouldn't be able to tell you until I saw it but I think it would work. I would use purple instead of red, just a personal preference, but I definitely think some form of shading would improve the look. What colour will you use for the hair do you think?
Back to top Go down
Garion
Kabalite Warrior
Garion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2012, 21:47

The idea was to use purle in the deep shadow areas between the armour plates and red (maybe mixed with a little purple) to tie in the purple shadow with the rest of the plate, also bringing back a little of the original red color of the armour

The hair are a bit of a dilemma at the moment.

I found a very interesting tutorial on Dark Eldar skin (link) that I want to follow and by doing that I will end up with a slightly reddish tone in the shadown of the skin. So I think that red is a no go for the hair (considering also the red armour)

I'm thinking pale blue / blue grey at the moment or maybe a saturated one to break things up. And I'm tempted to use blue also on the klaive!
Back to top Go down
Deyfluff
Kabalite Warrior
Deyfluff

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27 2012, 07:17

They look nice! What bases are those?
Back to top Go down
Garion
Kabalite Warrior
Garion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27 2012, 13:11

Thank you!

I made the base my self following a great tutorial from SmallVictory : Making broken ruins bases

Tonight is purple night: gonna work on the Incubus cloath!
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27 2012, 14:51

I do like where these are going. I'm going to see Smallvictory in about a week and will pass the link on to him(he needs to get back to painting!)
Back to top Go down
Garion
Kabalite Warrior
Garion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27 2012, 15:28

Please do! I love his work!
Back to top Go down
Garion
Kabalite Warrior
Garion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28 2012, 00:39

Tonight I painted the cloath areas, with purple!

The Kabal of the Golden Rose Purple+0
The Kabal of the Golden Rose Purple+1

I used the following colors:

The Kabal of the Golden Rose Colors

More details on the steps I followed on my blog, here

C&C are very welcome!

Last edited by Garion on Wed Nov 28 2012, 07:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Deyfluff
Kabalite Warrior
Deyfluff

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28 2012, 02:30

Love the purple cloth!
Back to top Go down
Garion
Kabalite Warrior
Garion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28 2012, 07:19

@Deyfluff thank you!
Back to top Go down
Garion
Kabalite Warrior
Garion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29 2012, 08:29

I started working on the white sections, the main chest plates and the face plate of the helm (the back of the helm will be painted in gold like the armour) but It's taking quite a bit of time... I'm starting from a codex grey base coat and working up to fortress grey and than skull white with many many many (...) many thin layers.

How do you guys paint white ?

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Garion
Kabalite Warrior
Garion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29 2012, 23:13

I rougly completed work on the white sections (shading excluded) and did some touch ups and put down the starting layers for the remaining parts of the helm and the horns:

The Kabal of the Golden Rose Incubus+painting+update

Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30 2012, 08:56

Golden armoured, blinged out Kabal? This looks promising.

There are several ways to paint white. It depends on whether you want a warm, neutral or cool white. Warm white is something like old Graveyard Earth, Dheneb Stone, Skull White. Neutral white would be Adeptus Battlegrey, Codex Grey, Skull White. Cold white would be Shadow Grey, Space Wolves Grey, Skull White. As I paint white Craftworld Eldar myself, I am a big fan of the cool white shades, but I'd reckon your golden army would look better with either the warm or neutral variants.
Back to top Go down
Garion
Kabalite Warrior
Garion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30 2012, 09:30

Siticus the Ancient wrote:
Golden armoured, blinged out Kabal? This looks promising.

Yeah, I imagine them as the top dogs of the Obsidian Rose, like snobbish Truborns Smile

Siticus the Ancient wrote:
There are several ways to paint white. It depends on whether you want a warm, neutral or cool white. Warm white is something like old Graveyard Earth, Dheneb Stone, Skull White. Neutral white would be Adeptus Battlegrey, Codex Grey, Skull White. Cold white would be Shadow Grey, Space Wolves Grey, Skull White. As I paint white Craftworld Eldar myself, I am a big fan of the cool white shades, but I'd reckon your golden army would look better with either the warm or neutral variants.

Thank you, greath infos! With the white helm I wanted to kind of fade away from the flashy and bright gold and end up in a darker colors on the tip of the horns to create a bit of contrast on the head so went for , I think I can now say , a neutral white (with codex grey/fortress grey instead of adeptus/codex grey)

Back to top Go down
Garion
Kabalite Warrior
Garion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02 2012, 01:13

A little update on the Incubus that I also used to test out my new photo setup since the last pics I posted where not that great I think ...

The Kabal of the Golden Rose Incubus-wip

Since I posted about my Dark Eldar color scheme around the Internet I got many questions about the paints I used for the golden armour so I blogged about them here Smile
Back to top Go down
Garion
Kabalite Warrior
Garion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07 2012, 12:32

I spent the last few days tring out a color scheme for the klaive (the big glaive like weapon used by the Incubi) and this if what I came up in the end (tested on plain paper):

The Kabal of the Golden Rose Klaive+test

The dark / light points of each sections are a bit too far away from each other but this piece of paper if way more bigger than a real klaive so on the real bit this would not be a problem
Back to top Go down
Garion
Kabalite Warrior
Garion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 10 2014, 09:15

And they say Homunculi are fast workers! They sure took their sweet time resurrecting this thread... Ehm ...

With the new book came a renewed will to paint my army, so let's start again from a Venom I'm painting at the moment as the first concrete test for my (a bit revised) painting sheme for vehicles:

The Kabal of the Golden Rose Dark%2BEldar%2BVenom%2BWIP%2B001

The Kabal of the Golden Rose Dark%2BEldar%2BVenom%2BWIP%2B002

I'm probably going to paint the two gem-like thingy above the engine in gold too to add a bit more of the colour on the model

Here is it as seen from below. This is actually an older pic, the sections of the upper hull on the nose are painted in gold too, like they are on the upper surface

The Kabal of the Golden Rose Dark%2BEldar%2BVenom%2BWIP%2B003

There is still a lot to do: paint the weapons, the pilot and the crew (I'm not sure about how many there are going to be), more work on the edge highlight on the green hull, the various trophies and so long and a whole lot of things to fix and clean up... I'm also going to try and put some tribal markings on the hull if I can manage to do that without ruining the whole thing ...

C&C really appreciated and needed!
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 10 2014, 12:29

How exactly did you do the glaive? It looks great!
Back to top Go down
Garion
Kabalite Warrior
Garion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 10 2014, 22:52

With painfull masking if I remember correctly Very Happy

It was long ago and for some reason I din't write it down on my holy Book of Recipes (...) but from the look of it I started by painting the whole thing with the lightest color (death fleash). Then I masked one half of the blade (say, the lower half) and, using a piece of plastic or card board angled over the non-masked area I painted the next darker green creating the first section leaving the lighter green visibile in the upper part of the section

I moved down the leght of the "blade" creation the other 4 sections. Then I started all over again with a darker green, painting in a smaller area toward the end of each section

You can keep doing with darker and darker greens

When the upper section was done I masked it after removing the masking tape from the lower section and I repeated the whole process shifing the starting point of each section downward the blade

I hope I'm making sense ^^;
Back to top Go down
Bloodofthefallen2
Hellion
Bloodofthefallen2

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 10 2014, 22:54

See the venom on fb earlier looks great so far dude
Back to top Go down
Garion
Kabalite Warrior
Garion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 12 2014, 08:33

@Bloodofthefallen2: thank you! Especially coming from you, your Archon is beautifully painted I really like how you pushed the shadows on the armour plates. I've tried to achive a similar effect on the Venom and on the first test model below but I don't think I've reached a very good effect Sad

The Kabal of the Golden Rose IMG_2294

I think the lights/shadows contrast is still too low
Back to top Go down
Bloodofthefallen2
Hellion
Bloodofthefallen2

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 12 2014, 17:54

Garion wrote:
@Bloodofthefallen2: thank you! Especially coming from you, your Archon is beautifully painted I really like how you pushed the shadows on the armour plates. I've tried to achive a similar effect on the Venom and on the first test model below but I don't think I've reached a very good effect Sad

The Kabal of the Golden Rose IMG_2294

I think the lights/shadows contrast is still too low

I think this looks great. If you want to try shading down more then try doing very thin coats like 80% dilution then wipe most of the paint off the brush onto some tissue and drag the brush into the area you want to be darkest.

Id like to say again though that this is looking great
Back to top Go down
Garion
Kabalite Warrior
Garion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17 2018, 14:37

Sooooooo..... it's been a while lol

I finally picked the brush up again and I started to paint a test Warrior. Here it is:

The Kabal of the Golden Rose Wip_0010
The Kabal of the Golden Rose Wip_0011

Still WIP but the main colors are there. Not sure about the SR: I'm thining dark green or black with an hint of green to add a bit of color to it

What do you guys think? Any C&C is absolutely welcome!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Golden Rose   The Kabal of the Golden Rose I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Kabal of the Golden Rose
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next