THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Can you use Wasp Jump Packs in assault without charging?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
MHaruspex
Kabalite Warrior
MHaruspex

Can you use Wasp Jump Packs in assault without charging? Empty
PostSubject: Can you use Wasp Jump Packs in assault without charging?   Can you use Wasp Jump Packs in assault without charging? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16 2016, 00:54

My question is simple and pretty much in the topic - Corsair Wasps have the Jump Pack that allows them either an 8"-12" teleport during Movement at the cost of getting onto snap shots, or a highest 2-of-3D6 charge and bonus to HoW when used in Assault. If it uses either, the Wasp gets a rerollable 4++ until the next turn.

It's possible to abuse that by declaring a charge, using the Jump Pack, then using Fleet to reroll dice to make sure you don't make the charge and are a nice rerollable-4++ toting gun platform the next turn at the cost of eating some Overwatch. However, can you declare that you're using the Jump Pack during assault, but then not actually assault? This would give the rerollable 4++ without having to suffer overwatch, as well as allow you to use it after Scouting, out of Reserve, or in other situations in which you're not allowed to charge.

The text in IA11 is, "A Wasp jump pack can be used in either the Movement phase or Assault phase... If used in the Assault phase, the Wasp Assault Walker may roll an additional dice when determining Charge distances and use the two highest results, and additionally gains the Hammer of Wrath special rule for that phase, inflicting D6+1 hits instead of just one."

Seems to me that allows you to declare use of the pack without charging, though that's something I'd appreciate a second opinion on. And just as a side note - would Immobilization prevent the Wasp from using its Jump Pack too, or would that just cripple the "leg" parts of it?

Seems to me like a 70-pt Wasp toting a pair of Scatterlasers with a rerollable 4++ save that can also assault in a pinch wouldn't be an unwelcome addition to a force that includes Corsairs.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Can you use Wasp Jump Packs in assault without charging?   Can you use Wasp Jump Packs in assault without charging? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16 2016, 02:56

MHaruspex wrote:
If used in the Assault phase, the Wasp Assault Walker may roll an additional dice when determining Charge distances and use the two highest results, and additionally gains the Hammer of Wrath special rule for that phase, inflicting D6+1 hits instead of just one."

Seems to me that allows you to declare use of the pack without charging, though that's something I'd appreciate a second opinion on.

It seems pretty clear to me that you CANNOT use the pack in the assault phase without charging, as it's only effect is to add a dice to "charge distances", which ONLY come into play if you're charging. So, they're not actually able to make a jetpack/jump move in the assault phase at all, by that reading. It's only useful for assaulting in the assault phase.
Back to top Go down
MHaruspex
Kabalite Warrior
MHaruspex

PostSubject: Re: Can you use Wasp Jump Packs in assault without charging?   Can you use Wasp Jump Packs in assault without charging? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16 2016, 02:59

Right, I agree that they can't make a jump move during assault. However, they do say that you use the jump pack during assault, which lets you roll the extra die when assaulting.

Question is whether you can activate it to get your bonus to charge distance but then not actually use it beyond that.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Can you use Wasp Jump Packs in assault without charging?   Can you use Wasp Jump Packs in assault without charging? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16 2016, 05:23

MHaruspex wrote:
Right, I agree that they can't make a jump move during assault. However, they do say that you use the jump pack during assault, which lets you roll the extra die when assaulting.

Question is whether you can activate it to get your bonus to charge distance but then not actually use it beyond that.

What is the point of that? I guess I don't understand what you're asking. What benefit is there to activating your pack to charge, then not charging?
Back to top Go down
MHaruspex
Kabalite Warrior
MHaruspex

PostSubject: Re: Can you use Wasp Jump Packs in assault without charging?   Can you use Wasp Jump Packs in assault without charging? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16 2016, 17:35

Activating the pack in either phase gives you a 4++ save, as well as allowing you to reroll that save.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Can you use Wasp Jump Packs in assault without charging?   Can you use Wasp Jump Packs in assault without charging? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16 2016, 21:19

In that case, yes. It seems like you can choose to activate it in the assault phase and not assault if your posted wording is accurate, though I don't know the wording of the 4++ rule and don't have my book handy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you use Wasp Jump Packs in assault without charging?   Can you use Wasp Jump Packs in assault without charging? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can you use Wasp Jump Packs in assault without charging?
Page 1 of 1