THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabal of the Scarlet Souls

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
atlas unbound
Slave
atlas unbound

Kabal of the Scarlet Souls Empty
PostSubject: Kabal of the Scarlet Souls   Kabal of the Scarlet Souls I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07 2016, 07:22

Good evening my fellow sadists and poisoned apples. Many many years ago my brother and i played 40k.  Or what passes for playing when you're 14 and 8 and don't have a FLGS. Now he's a graduate student who doesn't have the time to build and paint, and im an undergrad with far too much time to build and paint. I'm still feeling out which army he'd like to play, but for now I'm going with Dark Eldar. If he decides he'd like to play something else, i'll have a lovely new dark eldar army done by Christmas.

So.... To the list. I love wych cults and Ebay is full of cheap unopened boxes. The current model count and goal stands at:
2 venoms
2 ravagers
3 raiders
30 wyches
2 succubi (buses?)
40 kabalites
15 hellions
and 12 reavers

Im especially excited for the horrendous ordeal that this color scheme is going to be, but Gosh if it isnt going to be a lot of fun to try.

Kabal of the Scarlet Souls 13565411
Kabal of the Scarlet Souls 13576310

I think i'll only use the quartered schemes for Dracons and the like. For the wych units i'm going to use a modified cult of red grief. See what things i can learn along the way. Comments and criticism are welcome, as is a butt-kicking for slow progress! The journey should end sometime around the end of November, hope to see you there!
Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Scarlet Souls   Kabal of the Scarlet Souls I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07 2016, 09:06

"Readies boot for butt kicking". No worries, we will flagellate you willingly upon any procrastination and time wasting Wink

On a serious note welcome to the dark city Smile
Pleased you have got back into 40k. Dark eldar have some of the best models in the range IMO, and I guarantee you will enjoy painting them. I love the look of your chosen scheme. I look forward to seeing your work when you are ready Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
atlas unbound
Slave
atlas unbound

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Scarlet Souls   Kabal of the Scarlet Souls I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24 2016, 22:16

Alrighty, lets get the excuses out of the way first. My roommates came home from Russia bearing the gift of the Red scourge. Between Papa Nurgle's communist redistribution of plague and this constant rain we've been having, i have not been able to get much done. That being said, life uh, finds a way.....

I tested out white primer vs. black primer on a pair of reavers. I probably could have asked around about the effects, but i feel its been very educational. The white primer, whilst making coverage soooo much easier, is a bit to rosy and bright for the reds. I also dont feel like it matches right for dark washes and for the stippling i'd like. Still, educational. Kabal of the Scarlet Souls 14113810
Kabal of the Scarlet Souls 14088810

Fortunately for me, the local facebook page and Ebay are wonderful wonderful resources. My collection has expanded a little bit more since first posting! The yacht club yet lives!

Kabal of the Scarlet Souls 13962610

More progress soon to come, hopefully some sunshine and clear lungs. C&C and buttkickings welcome as always
Back to top Go down
Wriggs
Slave
Wriggs

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Scarlet Souls   Kabal of the Scarlet Souls I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25 2016, 00:01

Looks good man. You are braver than me with large amounts of white, I always struggle with getting depth while keeping it looking white. I look forward to seeing more.
Back to top Go down
atlas unbound
Slave
atlas unbound

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Scarlet Souls   Kabal of the Scarlet Souls I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24 2016, 04:40

Excuses excuses, blah blah blah. Life gets in the way of the hobby....

ONWARDS TO PROGRESS!

I was finally able to prime some kabalites and start working the scheme on them.

Step 1, prime in black using a can of P3 black primer you dont remember acquiring.
Step 2, half the model gets based in administratum grey. I'm not super pleased with how i did with the grey, but on these two its far past time to get over it. I'm still trying to get the hang of thinning paints.

Kabal of the Scarlet Souls 14424211

Step 3, base the other half of the model in Khorne red.

Kabal of the Scarlet Souls 14456810

Step 4, waffle around with which color red to use for the layer and ultimately make some questionable decisions. I started with Evil sunz scarlet on the left calf, but it came out a little too orange for what i had in mind.

Kabal of the Scarlet Souls 14408210

So i switched over to wazdakka and covered over the original mistake. Not sure if im doing this whole layering thing properly.

Kabal of the Scarlet Souls 14408111

step 5, add white scar white over the grey. Pretty sure im not doing this layering thing properly. Send help.

Kabal of the Scarlet Souls 14438810
Kabal of the Scarlet Souls 14408110

How do you guys break up the monotony of white? How should i shade and highlight from here?
Please kick my butt on this, i can do better!
Back to top Go down
Cherrycoke
Kabalite Warrior
Cherrycoke

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Scarlet Souls   Kabal of the Scarlet Souls I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24 2016, 07:30

Nice pics, food for thought: Have you thought about a grey primer at all? the coverage would be easier than starting from black, but the initial colours more muted than from a white primer.
Back to top Go down
Kantalla
Wych
Kantalla

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Scarlet Souls   Kabal of the Scarlet Souls I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24 2016, 09:27

atlas unbound wrote:
So i switched over to wazdakka and covered over the original mistake. Not sure if im doing this whole layering thing properly.
It looks to me like your layering is covering the old base colour with a whole new base colour.

Normally from there you would shade the recesses or areas away from the light with a darker shade of your base colour - inks are really good for doing this.

Then you would highlight edges and areas where the light strikes the model with progressively lighter colours.

If done right, you get a colour gradient from your shade to base colour and then to your highlights.

Suggested shade and highlights chart

Quote :
How do you guys break up the monotony of white? How should i shade and highlight from here?
Painting white is fairly tricky in my experience. Because White Scar is as bright as you can go, that should be your final highlight. A light grey base, with a very light grey highlight and White Scar as final highlight is a good way to go. You also need to be careful you get greys with the same base colour, as a brown grey, like Rakarth Flesh, doesn't match well with a blue grey highlight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Scarlet Souls   Kabal of the Scarlet Souls I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabal of the Scarlet Souls
Page 1 of 1