THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Picking Paints - Which ones?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ikbih
Slave
Ikbih

Picking Paints - Which ones?  Empty
PostSubject: Picking Paints - Which ones?    Picking Paints - Which ones?  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01 2016, 05:04

I'm pretty new to dark eldar and want to paint them well. I haven't painted in about 5 years and all my old GW paint has dried and died on me. ThY means I need new paint. New army, new paint, why not? I was thinking a bout switching to Vallejo because I've heard good things about it on top of it being cheaper. However, their selection is overwhelming, and frankly I have no idea what to grab. The scheme I want is pretty basic dark eldar with green highlights (or shade) for the armor.

I figured here would be a good place to ask.
Back to top Go down
Scrz
Sybarite
Scrz

PostSubject: Re: Picking Paints - Which ones?    Picking Paints - Which ones?  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01 2016, 06:51

Hi. And welcome.

Vallejo is indeed a good alternative to GWs paint range. Just the fact that they come in dropper bottles alone is a good reason to make the switch.
I recommend the "model air" and "game air" range. They have smaller ground pigment to make them flow better in an airbrush. This helps the flow of paint in the brush as well, and you don't have to thin your paints as much as with the GW paints. Another great benefit is that the metallic paints look way better if you are blocking out, or completely filling in the metallic parts on your figures. Since the pigment is so small you can not see the glittering effect you some times get with boltgun metal for instance.
That said, if you dry brush your metallic or want a more gritty feel, boltgun metal is probably better.

Squirrel!
Back to top Go down
Cherrycoke
Kabalite Warrior
Cherrycoke

PostSubject: Re: Picking Paints - Which ones?    Picking Paints - Which ones?  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02 2016, 08:26

Vallejo is alright, I find their game colour range though has a lot of seperation issues, it's kind of a bummer, as Scrz said I would go for their air range particuarly on metallics, their pigments are much finer.

If you're going for a dark eldar scheme close to the official studios though I would just go for the GW paints, for me their quality is top notch, its just the price thats annoying.

Anyway, to me eyeballing how they've done their army it looks Abaddon Black, then the  hues on the armor look like Incubi Darkness > Sotek Green. The edges look like a shade of Incubi Darkness, then lined smartly with Sybarite Green, with a hint of white on the most jagged edges of the armor.

If you're going tabletop standard you could just get away with Chaos Black and just lining in Sybarite Green. Pick up a Leadbelcher and a fleshy shade for the tabards  and you're ready to go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Picking Paints - Which ones?    Picking Paints - Which ones?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Picking Paints - Which ones?
Page 1 of 1