THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Emasculator
Slave
Emasculator

Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits Empty
PostSubject: Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits   Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits I_icon_minitimeThu May 18 2017, 10:50

Good Evening fellow rivals,

I've just recently started a Dark Eldar army (or Drukhari as they'll soon be called), and I managed to pick up around 30 of the old plastic warriors in a trade. I love these old models, but the new kit is incredible and I don't want to just throw them in with the same paint scheme and hope for cohesion.

Would anyone have any advice (with pictures hopefully) on how to kit bash with the new kits to make them look like they belong? Is it worth it? Would you recommend it? How did you do it? I'd appreciate any help, even if its something as simple as a good headswap.

Thank you!

[PS. I'm sorry if my forum etiquette is terrible, I've never done the forum thing before, and I have no idea what I'm doing - you can blame the Splintermind Podcasts for luring me here]
Back to top Go down
masamune
Sybarite
masamune

PostSubject: Re: Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits   Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 17 2017, 13:28

Hello there !

I still own a couple of old kabalites (first box ever bought), but in my opinion they are far to different to be mixed with the new ones : not the same armors, not the same weapons, etc. etc.

For conversion purposes, whyches weapons parts, and also skaven bits (trophies, etc.) can work great.

I use the old models as Trueborn (elite version of warriors) as in the lore they should be older, and therefore have older armors and weapons. I added some gold to spikes and armor and they elite role is clear Smile

If you want a simple advice to blend them in your army and still have a subtle 'personnality' difference, you can paint their eyes in a diffrent color (for example : all kabalite warriors (new figs) with red glowy eyes, all trueborn (old figs) with blue or green eyes. Green works great with gold spikes)

Don't hesitate to add a flag (you got some from raiders & venom) to help them blend in the army.

Here's some Work In Progress pictures i got from my FB account (sorry for bad quality) if you want to inspire.
Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits Kabali12
Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits Kabali13
Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits Kabali14
Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits Kabali15
Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits Kabali16
Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits Kabali17

I don't have the pictures right now, I'll add a couple of fully painted trueborns & kabalites this evening

Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits 19121d10 Dark eldars ~4k points / Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits 4eef2c10 Battle sisters ~2k points
Back to top Go down
Emasculator
Slave
Emasculator

PostSubject: Re: Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits   Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 17 2017, 15:25

Oh this is great! I especially love the net cape. And very solid advice. I've been using my older models as the special weapons members in a squad. They stand out quite nice. But I like the idea of Trueborn.
Back to top Go down
masamune
Sybarite
masamune

PostSubject: Re: Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits   Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 17 2017, 18:12

Here you go for final results =], glad it'll help

Classic kabalite warrior
Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits Dsc_0510

Trueborns (with a lot more trophies :p)
Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits Dsc_0612
Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits Dsc_0610
Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits Dsc_0613
Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits Dsc_0611

Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits 19121d10 Dark eldars ~4k points / Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits 4eef2c10 Battle sisters ~2k points
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits   Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modelling with the old and new Kabalite Kits
Page 1 of 1