THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Modelling for advantage

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
commandersasha
Sybarite
commandersasha

Modelling for advantage Empty
PostSubject: Modelling for advantage   Modelling for advantage I_icon_minitimeSun May 02 2021, 09:44

I have always played my games away from home, and as I cycle or skate everywhere, I have always built my models with a strong consideration for how to pack them safely and efficiently in a rucsac.

I use KR cases, but also a variety of smaller card boxes such as iPhone boxes, cigar boxes etc..
I build my models to avoid outstretched arms, oversized wings etc, to reduce breakage and to allow tighter foam configurations,

My core army has 4 Raider/Ravs, 3 Venoms and all the infantry, around 1200pts, in a single KR case, as my vehicles have no sails, no spikes, no chains, no trophy spikes. I actually prefer this aesthetic anyway.

When I started this army, in 5th, the BRB specifically stated that decor, limbs, wings etc were NOT considered part of the model for Line Of Sight purposes, so this simpler, more compact form was no problem.

I even declared to my opponents that I classed the rudder and the pointy prow as "not part of the model, but decor", which reduced the disembarkation and open-topped firing footprint, but made them easier to hide; a fair trade-off.

BUT.

9th, and I think 8th, no longer state that rule about models only counting as their hulls and torsos. if you can see a wingtip, banner tassle or the very end of a tentacle, you can shoot them to death.

As such, are my Raiders now built for advantage? They are easier to hide as they don't have their sails and masts.
I could easily change my attitudes to rudders and prows, obviously, I just have to remind myself and my regular opponents.

Whilst we are the most powerful codex on the block (allegedly!) I am very keen to ensure I am not taking further advantage in the light of what is effectively a rule change for me.
Back to top Go down
Gizamaluke
Sybarite
Gizamaluke

PostSubject: Re: Modelling for advantage   Modelling for advantage I_icon_minitimeSun May 02 2021, 19:03

I think if your friends aren't too fussed then don't worry about it but it does give you a significant advantage not having the sails or rudders attached. Also I think it detracts from how good the models are if you don't use them.

There are ways to trim the rudders that allows them to be attached and detached as you wish, you just need to snip the ball off the connecting bar and it should with a little jiggling slide in the top. As for the sails, so long as you don't glue the mast (I'm not good with nautical terms, the bit that joins to the deck) it should be a relatively simple part to detach aswell. Ravagers are way more difficult as the assembly that holds them to the Hull is extremely fragile (currently repairing all 3 of my ravagers for the 3rd time due to that part snapping) so I'd consider Conversion methods for distinguishing them from a raider whilst still using the mast and sail parts. A common conversion is having the kabalites who hang off the side (perhaps use magnets or something) wield Dark Lances to symbolise the increased firepower. I'd combo that with distinguishing marks to separate the raiders and ravagers, either by changing the sail colour, different colour tribal or anything just so people can see at a distance it's a ravager and not a raider

commandersasha likes this post

Back to top Go down
commandersasha
Sybarite
commandersasha

PostSubject: Re: Modelling for advantage   Modelling for advantage I_icon_minitimeSun May 02 2021, 21:53

I do have the prows and rudders on them, although I trim the rudders to be flush with the base, so when the fly stands are popped off the boats sit flat on the bottom of the box.
One of my Raiders has two gangplanks with magnets, and two of my Dark Lance Kabalites turn it into a Ravager, although my new 9th list doesn't have Ravagers anyway, so it's back to being a transport.

As to the sails, they got given away years ago! I never liked them!
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Modelling for advantage   Modelling for advantage I_icon_minitimeMon May 03 2021, 18:40

I would not change the modeling too much. The sail doesnt really add any bulk, just vertical height (which hides behind Obsuring).

Expect some poor sports none-the-less. You are bringing a "top" army, some people are always salty. For whatever reason, Ork players are always fun to play against. Try to find one of those guys?

commandersasha likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modelling for advantage   Modelling for advantage I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modelling for advantage
Page 1 of 1