THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Biggest Modelling FAIL?

Go down 
+3
Ciirian
Mr Believer
Sky Serpent
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

Biggest Modelling FAIL? Empty
PostSubject: Biggest Modelling FAIL?   Biggest Modelling FAIL? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14 2012, 19:11

Well, I'm just about done getting over a recent fail of mine and wanted to know what the worst thing has happened to you guys.
Most of mine are somehow self inflicted, normally due to my impatience or lethargic tendencies.

1. Today. Tournament tomorrow, I somehow decided it'd be a wise idea to leave 3 Razorwings and a Raider to paint the day before. Reason being was the airbrush would do the bulk of the work and leave them in a decent enough position for playing with. Of course the last time I used it was a few months ago and hadn't cleaned it. No airbrush. Currently writing this thread in a break from tankbrushing my flyers...

2. The day before the last tournament (notice a pattern here). I decide to three colour up half the army as I can always go back to the basecoat, I apply my dark red to the armour of all my infantry etc. It's not drying. I wait. Not drying, I inspect it. It actually has. It's dried the glossiest of glosses, a sheen Calgar would be proud of. I'd been doing bases earlier and left PVA in the bottom of the water pot. Failllll.

3. A few years ago now. Painting my Exodites, really happy with them. Start painting their faces and can't find any white, so I use gouache paint. Word of warning, don't mix gouache and acrylics or risk Nurgle's Rot infecting your models.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Modelling FAIL?   Biggest Modelling FAIL? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15 2012, 09:19

I'm assembling a Raider at the moment, and left the second side of the hull next to me on my bed. I leaned over to reach the instructions, and heard a crack as the panel got caught on my jeans and the bed and snapped in half! Luckily it was a fairly clean break, and the deck holds it together.

But the funniest one I ever saw wasn't done by me. Back in third edition, some friends and I would sometimes meet at one guys house and have a huge battle, which would usually take three days to complete. Just setting up everything took hours - there were eight of us, averaging out at around 8-10,000 points a side, and we had a tyranid army and two ork armies on our side, so you can imagine how many models that was. A friend had just spent ages gluing his damaged Fire Prism back together, I think the turret had come off or something. Another friend had been sat cross legged on the floor whilst people deployed around him. He only had a small Chaos army, and was deploying it wherever it would fit. My Eldar playing friend said "Finally! Finished!" and placed his Fire Prism. My other, Chaos playing friend declared that he was finished too, and stood up at the edge of a swarm of miniatures. He had cramp in his legs. He staggered slightly as if he was going to fall, then threw a foot out. It landed on some tyranids. Crack! He pitched forward, and entered a kind of lurching run, every footfall destroying something in our deployment zone. With his second to last stomp, he smashed the newly fixed Fire Prism. I couldn't stop laughing for about five minutes - even though he'd snapped a few of my orks off their bases, I'd have paid more than they were worth to see such wonderful physical comedy. And the look on the Eldar players face was priceless.
Back to top Go down
Ciirian
Sybarite
Ciirian

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Modelling FAIL?   Biggest Modelling FAIL? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16 2012, 01:41

Years ago I was putting a model together while playing World of Warcraft. I was supposed to be healing Molten Core and was busy putting some figure together. I forget what it was, but to sum it up, in a quick move to heal I knocked over the super glued and glued myself to the desk. Everyone on ventrillo had a good laugh.
Back to top Go down
Setomidor
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Modelling FAIL?   Biggest Modelling FAIL? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23 2012, 19:51

I haven't got that many of my own (despite soon 15 years in the hobby!), I guess I'm too cautious and boring Smile

A Dark Eldar related accident that I witnessed though was when a friend did a sneaky move and snuggly fitted his newly painted raider between the board edge and a piece of impassible terrain in the shape of a rock formation. In his next turn he reached over with the measuring stick in hand to start moving his raider, accidentally pokes the terrain piece with his measuring stick and chain-push his Raider over the edge. There was a loud crash, a stunned silence, and a horrified veil. Smile
Back to top Go down
Bookkeeper
Hellion
Bookkeeper

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Modelling FAIL?   Biggest Modelling FAIL? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23 2012, 22:02

Should I ever decide to post my nascent DE work here, I think I can go a long way towards making all of you feel better about your painting skills. My hands shake and I'm way too impatient, which is why I've stuck to Orks and Tyranids up to now.

I had one of those stories that you hear about - had just finished a group of Tyranid warriors and taken them outside for a dose of sealant. Would that I had picked up the sealant and not the white undercoat... Suddenly my lovely warriors are living in a Winter Wonderland and I get to start all over. Le sigh.
Back to top Go down
Maugarath D'harq
Hellion
Maugarath D'harq

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Modelling FAIL?   Biggest Modelling FAIL? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10 2012, 05:57

When the Dark Eldar were first re-released I bought a box of warriors, an Archon, and a Raider. After I finished building the Raider I put it on the desk to begin on the warriors. 2 men in I pick up the raider for another look, fumble a bit and drop it, spikes and all onto my left foot, from my head height of about 1.8 metres.
It landed spikes down and that big spike near the front got embedded IN MY FOOT. A **********ing BARBED SPIKE in my foot. I had to get it removed. I still have a mark there almost two years later.

Needless to say that spike got painted with a bloodstain pattern.
Back to top Go down
ravengoescaw
Heamonculi
ravengoescaw

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Modelling FAIL?   Biggest Modelling FAIL? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10 2012, 06:37

MY biggest fail. First time ever painting models. Didn't get any advice, no reference books.... thus no primer on my metal Hive tyrant. After about three weeks of carefully painting every detail with the tinyist brush I could find. The Carapace, I finished, my girlfriend at the time picked it up, to look at what I did. She drops it, on a tile floor. Almost all the paint pops off. I had a nice half a tyrant body paint layer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Modelling FAIL?   Biggest Modelling FAIL? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Biggest Modelling FAIL?
Page 1 of 1