THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Invulnerable in combat?

Go down 
+3
Mppqlmd
FuelDrop
Count Adhemar
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Invulnerable in combat? Empty
PostSubject: Invulnerable in combat?   Invulnerable in combat? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 08 2017, 10:35

Quick rules query. I suspect I know the answer but just wanted to check if I'm missing something.

Let's say I have a Wraithlord/knight (Toughness 8 ) and they are in close combat with a unit that has Strength of 4 or less. According to the Wound Roll table, if the attackers S is half (or less) the T of the target, they need a 6+ to wound. Now let's cast Enervate on the Wraithknight's opponents. This power, from CWE Runes of Battle, says "your opponent must subtract one from all wound rolls made by that unit in the Fight phase...". So even if they roll 6's, they have to subtract one and leave them with a maximum of 5, which is not enough to wound me. Am I missing anything?

Last edited by Count Adhemar on Wed Nov 08 2017, 10:54; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
FuelDrop
Hekatrix
FuelDrop

PostSubject: Re: Invulnerable in combat?   Invulnerable in combat? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 08 2017, 10:52

Um... I don't think you are. Missing anything, that is.
Ouch, that makes Wraithblades a superhard counter to S 3!

Last edited by FuelDrop on Wed Nov 08 2017, 10:54; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarifying ambiguity.)
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Invulnerable in combat?   Invulnerable in combat? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 08 2017, 10:55

Charge into a conscript blob or massive unit of 'Gants and be utterly immune to their attacks Smile
Back to top Go down
FuelDrop
Hekatrix
FuelDrop

PostSubject: Re: Invulnerable in combat?   Invulnerable in combat? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 08 2017, 11:00

Count Adhemar wrote:
Charge into a conscript blob or massive unit of 'Gants and be utterly immune to their attacks Smile

Nice, but I was thinking more stuff like Banshees, Bloodbrides, and similar low strength and relatively high value melee units. Stuff that you want to lock down to ensure they cannot target squishier things and go through like a knife through butter.
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Incubi
Mppqlmd

PostSubject: Re: Invulnerable in combat?   Invulnerable in combat? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 08 2017, 11:01

Yep. Just like you can become immune to enemies with bad BS with stacking "to hit" malus, you can become immune to wound rolls...

"Everything can wound anything" right ? XD
Back to top Go down
dumpeal
Hekatrix
dumpeal

PostSubject: Re: Invulnerable in combat?   Invulnerable in combat? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 08 2017, 15:23

An unmodified 6 is always a success. It won't matter how many malus you gives, it won't change that.
Back to top Go down
Burnage
Incubi
Burnage

PostSubject: Re: Invulnerable in combat?   Invulnerable in combat? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 08 2017, 15:26

dumpeal wrote:
An unmodified 6 is always a success. It won't matter how many malus you gives, it won't change that.

I don't think this is right. 1 always fails, but 6 doesn't always succeed.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Invulnerable in combat?   Invulnerable in combat? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 08 2017, 16:07

dumpeal wrote:

Yeah, I checked that before I started the thread and there is nothing in the rules to support a 6 always succeeding unless specifically stated
Back to top Go down
TheBaconPope
Wych
TheBaconPope

PostSubject: Re: Invulnerable in combat?   Invulnerable in combat? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 08 2017, 16:16

Quote :
[An unmodified 6 is always a success. It won't matter how many malus you gives, it won't change that.

As I recall, it's been explicitly stated that rolls can be modified above a six.

Quote :
8th Edition Designer''s Commentary: Page 1:
Q: Can a dice roll ever be modified above 6?
A: Yes.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Invulnerable in combat?   Invulnerable in combat? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 08 2017, 16:19

Yeah, if they had some sort of bonus to their rolls they would still be able damage me but without them I'm absolutely invulnerable and will never get my comeuppance. You hear me Fates? No comeuppance!!
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Incubi
Mppqlmd

PostSubject: Re: Invulnerable in combat?   Invulnerable in combat? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 08 2017, 16:20

dumpeal wrote:

I don't think there is anything in the rules supporting this.
Back to top Go down
Logan Frost
Sybarite
Logan Frost

PostSubject: Re: Invulnerable in combat?   Invulnerable in combat? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 08 2017, 17:51

Now those poisoned coven weapons don't look so bad anymore...
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Incubi
Mppqlmd

PostSubject: Re: Invulnerable in combat?   Invulnerable in combat? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 08 2017, 18:19

They always have been very good for Wracks. The problem is that Grotesques and pain engines shouldn't be using weapons that nullify their strength...
Back to top Go down
TheBaconPope
Wych
TheBaconPope

PostSubject: Re: Invulnerable in combat?   Invulnerable in combat? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 08 2017, 18:21

Quote :
They always have been very good for Wracks. The problem is that Grotesques and pain engines shouldn't be using weapons that nulify their strength...

I think the Ichor injector was a nice choice (before it became one attack per phase), but I agree with you on Grots. Poison lost its utility on them when they lost the reroll to wound.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Invulnerable in combat?   Invulnerable in combat? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Invulnerable in combat?
Page 1 of 1